2020 Recruiting Notes

It’s great to get 5 star kids but they don’t guarantee team success and you need a commitment for them to stay in school. It seems like the 5 star landscape continues to evolve with the changes in the NBA rules pending. Langford at Indiana comes to mind, great player, great kid but he’s gone now.

I think you need kids to grow with the program to build team continuity and win in the March tournament. The 5 star is not going to stay in school to improve when they can get millions to practice their trade in the NBA.

1 Like

As we’ve learned, they don’t have to be 5 stars for that to happen. What we do know is that you need a lot of talent to win, and you need a cohesive team.

2 Likes

Very true!

Thor was being recruited by Beilein and there is talk he could reclass to 2020.

2 Likes

He may be there all day. Kyree Walker, Walker Kessler and the players mentioned above all are at Adidas. Would be a good way to see all those guys

1 Like

So Juwan is at the Adidas event, Saadi is at Peach Jam.

Thor/Coleman are playing against Loveday/Bridges, FWIW.

All three shoe events (plus smaller ones like Peach Invitational, etc.) are pretty close so I would expect guys to be back and forth throughout the day/week.

2 Likes

I wonder if Henry Coleman is a guy UM could make a move on. I believe he was the main reason why Jabri moved up his timeline, he reportedly was the other wing UVA was after for the last spot.

3 Likes

Makes a lot more sense now then.

May just need to put this one to bed.

Barnes has literally never mentioned Michigan unprompted, right?

1 Like

Right. Yet, he’s always listed as a Juwan target. He and Adam Miller were two of the major names everyone wrote about when Juwan was hired and it doesn’t appear that either one is actually a target.

1 Like

I would say that was pretty clearly just speculation in the days after Juwan Howard was hired (due to both guys playing with at least one of his kids). The fact that he hasn’t mentioned Michigan once in the two months since then is pretty telling (and an interview with a Detroit paper asking him directly about Michigan doesn’t really count).

3 Likes

Agreed. The last two days have made that very clear. So that’s the news to take away and I’m just saying I’ll stop posting Scottie Barnes updates as should everyone else.

4 Likes

As of right now who are actual legit 2020 prospects that have a decent shot at playing for Michigan?

Have had any offers to not 5 star players?

Jabri Abdur Rahim was offered. He wasn’t a 5 star but he should be and is imo. But he’s off to Virginia. Also, Hunter Dickinson is a 4 star.

1 Like

So is Dickerson a realistic target? Kessler?