2020 Recruiting Notes

1 Like

Wonā€™t do everyone but the two most interesting tidbits for me wereā€¦

1. Franz Wagner has submitted academic documents and filled out his financial aid paperwork. Sam says he was told thatā€™s not a sign heā€™s coming though. I donā€™t really buy that though because that seems like an awful lot of work for a prospect if heā€™s not at least leaning to Michigan.

2. Kessler recruitment is a Michigan, Auburn, and Gonzaga battle.

Auburn has become a basketball school too?!:rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™m curious as to whom Michigan could target for 2019. Wonder if any 2020s could reclass up. Patterson and Kyree Walker are two top players that come to mind. But not sure if they will go through with it or if Michigan will push for more 2019s.

1 Like

If Duke isnā€™t a factor, I really like Michiganā€™s chances to land Kessler.

3 Likes

Gonzaga has a returning starting center this year and 3 (!!) more centers coming in from their 2019 class. That would be crazy if they wound up with Kessler too.

2 Likes

Was a bit surprised by how Sam characterized the contact between Michigan and Franz. Seems like they talk to Mo a lot more than Franz?

Well, they can talk to Moe all they want. I donā€™t believe there are any restrictions as to how much contact they can have with Moe, and the relationship they have with him is important and valuable in their recruitment of Franz.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the NCAA places any restrictions on talking to Franz. Heā€™d been busy lately. He may not want to talk to coaches all that often.

2 Likes

since Franzā€™s english is not as good as Moā€™s, it is much easier to have Mo be involved so that nothing gets lost because of the language.

1 Like

if anything Franz would be more interesting in talking to Juwan just to get the English practice

Obviously much has changed in recruiting over the past few decades but when my son was being recruited 28 years ago coaches were restricted as to how often they could contact recruits, at least by phone. Perhaps now a coach can call a kid every day if he wanted to, though I think that would be a bit much, but it hasnā€™t always been that way.

It changed not long after Kelvin Sampson got busted for the second time for calling too often. Now itā€™s mostly texting.

3 Likes

They repealed the rule Kelvin Sampson got in trouble for like 2 years after he got fired.

A short, quick mention of Michigan.

I donā€™t know nearly enough about NCAA admissions but how many kids at this point could reclassify UP at this point. Iā€™m sure private schools are different but in a public school in Michigan this would require at least a years planning to make sure a kid got all their requirements from the state and school district much less meet any NCAA requirements. Iā€™m genuinely curious how guys could pull this off this late in the game.

The short answer is Canadians can. They have an extra year of high school. In addition, anyone who had been thinking about reclassifying could have taken the necessary steps already. Sort of like how Franz can decide so late. He took the SAT and submitted his academic paperwork just in case.

1 Like

Similar for many US kids who are in prep school; usually they are a year older for grade level, often with a 5th year of high school level courses.