2020 Recruiting Notes

Rivals was all over him for his play this weekend. All their stories are paywalled now but they seemed pretty excited about him.

Bring the smoke.

4 Likes

Haha, can never have enough smoke. Like the sounds of the whole tweet actually

Curious as to if anyone has an early ā€˜dream classā€™ of 2020 recruits for Michigan? Think weā€™re almost surely looking at four open scholarships (factoring in Jacksonā€™s commitment).

I donā€™t yet have an ideal class, but Iā€™m curious where you expect the fourth opening to come from. Are you anticipating both currently open 2019 scholarships will be filled by grad transfers? Someone transferring out of the program after next year in addition to Davis? Or an NBA early entrant in 2020?
If Beilein fills both spots for next season and one of them (Pierce or another) is a grad transfer, that place opens up in addition to losing Teske & Simpson, and presumably Davis would play his fifth year elsewhere. That leaves four scholarships for 2020, of which Jackson takes one.
There could certainly be an additional scholarship available next yearā€”in fact, recent history would suggest that is more than likelyā€”but as of right now I would expect only three. Unless Iā€™m forgetting someone/something and/or miscounting.

If we assume that one of the two openings for 2019/20 created by Poole and Brazdeikis is filled by a grad transfer (hopefully Pierce), then the potential openings for 2020/21 are:

3 definite: Teske, Simpson, & Pierce

1 likely: Davis not offered a 5th year

1 pro departure possibility: Livers

3 Likes

JAR was extremely productiveā€¦

Would love to wrap that one up this spring/summer.

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty simple, and the coaches will know in a few weeks. There are gonna be 3 open for sure. If we get a grad transfer thatā€™s 4 for sure. And 5 being a very real possibility.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mention it before but a big guy from my neck of the woods is now being recruited by UM. Saddi came and visited before the live period. Our friend at Endless Motor had him as stockriser from the first adidas tourney

1 Like

Are you talking about Steven Crowl? Forgot his name :wink:

Crowl was really impressive all weekend long, specifically in a high level matchup against a top 50ish prospect in Zach Loveday of Wildcats Select on Saturday afternoon. Steven displayed really good footwork on the block, as he used an array of pivots before finishing at the rim or drawing fouls. The 6ā€™11 big man also showed off nice touch with his off-hand as he converted on jumphooks over the right shoulder. Crowl was also effective as a passer, using his vision to facilitate offense as a playmaker in high-low action. While Steven didnā€™t connect on any triples, he was a willing shooter with solid mechanics that appears to be able to stretch the floor. For the weekend, Crowl averaged 13.5 points , 7.5 rebounds and nearly 2 assists per game while shooting close to 58% from the floor. Currently holding offers from Northern Iowa and South Dakota, we expect Steven to get a ton of additional interest from mid-major/mid-major plus programs this Summer. A legit 6ā€™11 back to the back scorer with soft hands and potential to space the floor is a coveted skillset indeed.

Matt basically evaluates him as a mid/mid+ guy I donā€™t think Crowl will be a serious target. Moreso a guy Michigan will keep an eye on. Seems Michiganā€™s primary big targets are Kessler and Loveday by a pretty wide margin. Top 5 or 6 overall targets may be those two, JAR, Bridges, Johnson and Morton if I were to guess.

I just assume everyone knows I live in MN now. But you know what happens when you assumeā€¦

I like that list. Iā€™m just not a huge fan of Morton. I think heā€™s good but I donā€™t see him as being better than Scooby. Both seem a little stiff athletically (Iā€™m nitpicking) but I think Scooby plays harder. Now, I didnā€™t watch Morton at all on the EYBL feed to see how much heā€™s gotten better since last year.

Will be watching to see if any other bigs schedule visits. Such a position of need and Kessler and Loveday are both going to have plenty of choices.

1 Like

Donā€™t disagree just saying that is what it appears to look like based on the known staff contact; visits and games watched for these players. Seems like these guys have gotten more focus than anyone else.

I am very surprised the coaches havenā€™t made more of an effort with Ben Carlson

Yeah I think we absolutely need to find some other big men options. I think you could include Dickinson as well? But those 3 are all going to be absolute battles and I wouldnā€™t put our chances on any one individually very high.

Heā€™s not that different than Evan Smotrycz. Only difference is Smotrycz could shoot it better.

What? Iā€™m supposed to be the only MN resident poster on this forum!

This sums up what I think. Iā€™m operating on the fact that I think Michigan is only going to get one of their two 2019 recruits ā€“ Pierce is a possibility but I think if Beilein and co donā€™t get him theyā€™ll come in down a scholarship ā€“ and Davis will grad transfer given the precedent of that (Donnal and Bielfeldt).

2 Likes