2020 Recruiting Notes

That all being said, if Top50/Top75 caliber recruits want to join on, don’t turn them away to stay at a 4-person class. I just have a tough time seeing the staff being able to ink five Top50/75 caliber recruits in Year 1, while working from behind.

Zeb Jackson + 2 other Top50 recruits + a legacy name like Zaire Wade … that would be a tremendous first recruiting cycle haul, in my opinion.

5 Likes

I think if you’re talking about a legacy name, it’s extremely likely to be Jace Howard, who I think is an overwhelming favorite to be in this class. And before anybody raises the issue of Jace walking on, if a player is good enough to get mid/high major offers (as Jace already has in SDSU, Dayton and St. Louis), that almost never happens, regardless of whether the parents can easily afford tuition (or even, in this case, could use the roster spot), and I would be surprised if it happens here.

As to how many players we should sign, I think the issue will sort itself out in the spring. Given that kids will not be able to see what we run, or how we look, until shortly before the first signing day, I would expect a fall class of Jackson, one other 4* guy (or maybe a 5* big like Kessler), and Jace, with others keeping us in contention while they watch and observe. I completely agree that you take 4* kids or better whether the class is 4, 5 or even bigger because of attrition.

1 Like

Almost every coach gets an initial new coach bump, truth is I’ll be a bit concerned if this isn’t a big time class. This isn’t 10 years or so ago when the majority of the top kids had decided by now. Kids have pushed their timelines back a lot. The expectation for juwan is that he’ll be a really good recruiter. A really good recruiter that comes to a current top program with 5 slots and already a top 60 kid committed should be able to land a big time first class if he is actually a high level recruiter. Relationships can be built very quickly in recruiting.

1 Like

I wonder if players at some of the schools waiting for the boom to be lowered are quietly examining their options? Seems like a no-brainer that Michigan would not pass on a really good prospect. And having the space available when the time come could be opportune.

I’m very happy with the hiring of Juwan, but let’s be clear here–most “new coach bumps” accompany guys who are either (a) not new head coaches overall, but merely new at the school they’re now at, and thus guys who have a body of work and a previous system to which to recruit, or (b) long time assistants who have been at a school which has an established style and contacts from their recruiting days.

I think he’s going to recruit very well. That doesn’t mean that everyone has to sign in the early signing period.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Five-star guard Jaden Springer lists Michigan in top five

I agree about expecting this to be a highly ranked class given the number of open scholarships. Coaches sell highly ranked kids on personality, relationships and hope all the time in basketball.

I’m expecting at least a top 15 class.

Agree, now maybe Juwan can win with a Beilein like model(elite evaluator and coach, so so salesman on the recruiting trail). However, I think the model everyone is expecting if he’s going be very successful is a recruiting in the next tier beyond the bluebloods like a Louisville, MSU and Texas and being just a good x and o coach. Not landing a big time first class with all of the spots and potential attrition after this year would be very bad for that program model. I also think its evident juwan thinks and expects to land several big timers in this first class by just looking at the current recruiting board. I don’t think expecting something in the realm of Chris Macks first Louisville class is to crazy. Hell Amaker even landed a McdAA in his first class when um basketball was a dumpster fire.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Five-star guard Jaden Springer lists Michigan in final five

4 Top-100 caliber recruits (1 stud, a second boarderline Top50, a third boarderline Top75)… yeah, that sounds reasonable. Especially with Zeb Jackson in the fold, already a boarderline Top50 recruit. But if Howard & Co are able to get that at the top of the class, there really isn’t a reason to take lottery-ticket-fliers on two other moderate rated recruits versus “banking” those scholarships for Grad Transfers & high level Class of 2021/2022 recruits.

1 Like

I think you evaluate guys who you think are good enough to help Michigan win games. Pay attention to roles a little bit. If guys are above the “help us win” line and want to
Come. You take them regardless of number I’m the class.

That’s curtains on Jabri😭

4 Likes

Ugh. I wish he at least waited until after visiting Michigan.

3 Likes

Gotta put in some more work for our other top targets. Really thought we were going to get him if we could get a visit from him, but hard to turn down Virginia, I’m sure. It’s a likable program, so I’m not too sore about him going there as I would be if he went to one of the blue bloods.

5 Likes

Same but like @adamsmit86 said it really sucks they couldn’t get him on a visit because I was super confident they could’ve landed him. He was the top player on my wish list and he was clearly one of, if not the top target for Howard and staff as well. But at least he is deciding super early and giving the staff time to find new targets in July. And Virginia is a classy program and it’s easy to see why he went there. Not bitter at all towards Virginia. Just sucks nonetheless.

6 Likes

Naming a Final Two when the choice is such an obvious one seems a little unnecessary. Might as well have called it Virginia or The South Harmon Institute of Technology

4 Likes

Just trying to comfort myself with the fact that Juwan seems more likely to land one of these top targets because than JB. JAR is one of the few top 30 guys that would be okay with JB’s recruiting process, so it would hurt alot to lose someone like him. Seems like we’re legitimately involved with more of those 5* under Juwan, so maybe it won’t hurt as much to lose him. At least his is what I’m comforting myself with lol.

End of the day, plenty of time to get good players.

Yep. This is as good of a time to lose kids to other schools because the live period is starting up and they can find/hone in on other targets. The thing that sucks most about losing JAR is that no matter who else Michigan targets, there are few, if any better players available in the class that score like him. I’m not exaggerating at all when I say JAR was a top 5 bucket getter in the 2020 class. Kid could score from anywhere damn near any way. Michigan will need scorers in the 2020 class Forsure. Even if Franz and Livers stay, neither have it in their games to consistently be isolation scorers who can just go get a bucket. Josh Christopher and JAR are two of the best in the 2020 class at that.

Virginia was the only school JAR visited correct? Clearly committing to Virginia tom! Sad to not have him in a Michigan uniform next season:(

Looks like Kyree Walker isn’t going to be an option either. Apparently grades aren’t the issue. He easily qualifies. He just wants to make money and because of his age, he would be draft eligible next year if he is a year removed from high school. So logically it makes sense to either go college in 2019 or play a year overseas.

1 Like