2020 - PG - Jalen Terry (Oregon Commit)

I said I’d take him because he’s a 4 year guy. I don’t think he can be “the man” at a major program. That doesn’t mean he’s a bad PG prospect.

I also don’t think he’s strong as he needs to be. Shorter guys like Ferrell and Simpson were strong as bulls for their size.

Mid P5 program and he could start his entire career. Top end P5 and he’s the backup until an upperclassman. All I’m saying.

Trey Burke wasn’t particularly strong, just really good. Kalin Lucas as a sophomore wasn’t real strong, but again, really good. And Jalen Terry is more athletic than either of them.

1 Like

They both are 3 inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier. I do think Burke was strong. He’d put the defender on his backside quite a bit and keep them there

3 Likes

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion. But Terry is ranked as the composite #56 player in the 2020 class, and the #10 PG. I assume you must think he’s vastly overrated, because if those rankings are accurate, he probably won’t be sitting on the bench for two years.

If he went to MSU, is he going to start over Watts and Hoggard? I don’t think so. Nothing wrong with a prospect being a backup as an underclass man. In fact, that’s the normal trajectory for recruits unless you’re physically mature or a top tier recruit. I think Zeb is going to be a backup for at least his freshman year. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a bad recruit

it’s more of body type than weight alone but there is Iverson with similar body type

Zeb has remained loyal to UM. With that being said, I’d like to remain just as loyal to him. As for ‘they could play together’ argument, I just don’t see it. UM is in good position with Zeb and Zay. Landing a wing and 5 would solidify a fantastic recruiting class.

4 Likes

I don’t think either of those guys are PGs.

But I would guess the vast majority of top 50 PG recruits start well before their junior years. All of Derrick Walton, Darius Morris and Trey Burke started for us as freshmen, and Simpson did as a sophomore.

We’ll see how it plays out but I think you’re underrating Terry by quite a bit. If we didn’t have Zeb, I think we would be all over him.

agree! without Zeb, i will take Terry in a heartbeat.

Darius has no competition, and also didn’t start as a freshman. And Morris and Burke left early and we had no legitimate backups, so it left pretty much no choice for Burke and Walton to start as freshman. Though if you remember, Caris and Nik carried a bulk of the playmaking load in Walton’s freshman year, leaving him with less than a 20% usage rate.

And I don’t think Howard would be all over Terry if Zeb weren’t committed. I don’t even know if he’d be after Zeb if he were not already committed. Howard has exclusively gone after top end guys. Moody is our lowest rated target outside of his son. I’d take Terry if Zeb weren’t on board, which I’ve already said. I just don’t think he’s an instant impact recruit beyond backup minutes

Another crystal ball for Terry to U-M?? Seems kinda odd. Wonder what the 2 crystal balls are based off of, if anything.

Morris started 19 of 32 games.

You act like guys leaving early is unexpected. Iowa State is one school that likes Terry a lot. I think it’s very possible Tyrese Halliburton goes after this year and Terry walks into a starting job there.

Again, most guys with his recruiting pedigree play early and often, and look for opportunities to do so.

Hoggard? Lol.

Terry would have started the second Winston leaves campus.

Terry and Watts in the backcourt would have been interesting.

Now they don’t have a legit PG.

And Morris’ freshman year was objectively terrible and he wouldn’t have started on a good team.

On another board I said Terry to Iowa St makes a ton of sense. Monte Morris was very very good there and went to the same HS. I know it’s a different staff recruiting him, but Morris still played a year under Prohm IIRC

Eh, Izzo doesn’t really seem to do well with sub 6’ guards. Terry is a better prospect than Tum Tum or Loyer by far IMO, but I don’t see Terry starting unless Izzo is forced to. Think Hoggard would have every chance to win that job over Terry unless he’s just not ready at all.

And my assessment of Terry not being a high end starter as a freshman is based off an ideal situation. Terry could have started right off the bat at MSU, but it would have had more to do with MSU lacking options than Terry being ready. He’s not going to start as a frosh and run the show on a good team is basically what I’m saying. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

I think Terry is better than Hoggard. If you give me the choice of one or the other to be my PG, I’m 100% taking Terry.

3 Likes

Well, that was a team which made the tourney the year before and returned its two star players (Manny and DeShawn), along with guys like Novak, Douglas, and LLP. It did turn out to be a fairly bad team (which nevertheless had #1 seed OSU beat in the Big Ten tourney before Evan Turner hit a miracle shot). But it was a bad team due to chemistry issues and inconsistency, not talent.

I’m not suggesting Terry will be a star from day one. I’m saying your argument - that he will lucky to start for a P5 team as an upperclassmen - is a huge understatement of his talent.

1 Like

That wasn’t my statement, but ok guy

I looked back, and I did overstate your position a bit. Sorry about that. We’ll see what happens with Terry. I think he’s pretty talented but I’m wrong all the time.