2020 - F - Isaiah Todd (Commit)

Why is this thread so sure that he’s likely to go overseas?

Not disputing it just genuinely wondering.

Does it help our case that someone who played abroad named Franz is now at Michigan? Franz had the opportunity to sign a professional contract in Germany but chose to come to Michigan. Does that resonate with Isaiah? With his mom?

I wonder if given her druthers, Isaiah’s mom wouldn’t prefer to have him stay in the states, much closer to home, and play for a 6’10ish player who came out of Chicago to play for Michigan and then who played for 19 years in the NBA. Isaiah could come to Michigan for a year or two, play with some outstanding young men, and if the dominos fall, play with some great players, too, for a year or two, and then go to the NBA. Sure sounds good to me. Hmmm…

1 Like

The rumors about playing overseas are reinforced by the perception that several blue blood schools didn’t really prioritize him as much as you would expect given his talent level. I wouldn’t really compare it to the Franz Wagner situation, completely different really.

2 Likes

Of course it’s different, probably completely so. I’m just asking if having a player on our team who chose Michigan over playing professionally in Germany helps our cause. You obviously believe it doesn’t. Thanks.

1 Like

You could argue that Franz Wagner bucking the system and breaking from the established developmental norm in his country could be more like an American high schooler deciding to go play in Australia.

1 Like

So Todd has nothing to lose by signing with a school in the fall and still leaving open the option to sign overseas in the spring, correct? Or would he just verbally commit in the fall but not actually sign an LOI?

Don’t think it would matter if he signed an NLI or not. NLI just impacts where you can play college basketball.

1 Like

You are right about that, and I agree. But ultimately both want to play in the NBA and Franz chose to come here to expedite that process, and to perhaps give himself the best opportunity to achieve that goal. But, yes, Franz left his country just as Isaiah would be leaving his to go to Australia.

I’d be shocked if Michigan isn’t in his top 2

1 Like

Yep, I’d be surprised if his top two isn’t Michigan and Kansas.

Question: Does anyone know how many American HS players go straight to Australia to play professionally out of high school? I know La Melo Ball is there and R.J. Hampton. And how many Americans who go to Australia to play professionally ever make (made) it to the NBA? I’m not talking about players from Australia (born and raised in Australia) who came to the states to play in college and then made the NBA. I’m talking about American HS players who go to Australia to play and then make it back to the states and make an NBA team? Does anyone have this information?

Brandon Jennings played in Italy
Jeremy Tyler played in Israel
Emmanuel Mudiay played in China
Terrence Ferguson played in Australia

Those are who I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

We made it committing October 17th

This would be a huge first domino

A few crystal balls coming in for Michigan re Todd.
:crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

10 Likes

This is fun!

FWIW Josh Christopher and Todd appear to be friends to

2 Likes

You guys have to realize that all of these kids are friends and active on each other’s social media. They all play at the same events, same camps and go through the same experiences.

5 Likes

I am now extremely emotionally invested in Todd’s decision haha

10 Likes