2020 Big Ten Tournament is canceled

How does it accomplish that when the players are already at the stadium…that’s the point I’m trying to make. Our kids went and traveled yesterday, have been exposed to hotel rooms where other people had been in 24 hours before, have been around 100s of other individuals even without fans in the stands.

I agree with you it’s the job of someone in power to limit exposure. Canceling the games today because everyone got scared over Hoiberg having the flu last night at the Neb game is not limiting exposure and it’s not the mark of a good leader it’s the mark of someone who is trying to do risk management and hiding behind the notion that we did it for student well being.

2 Likes

I think the point of “well we aren’t minimizing contacts in real life, is this going to accomplish anything” is a good one, and I agree it very well may not. As GoBlue says - if people go about their daily life, this accomplishes nothing.

I think, however, this means that society needs to start looking at this the way the Big Ten has, and not vice-versa, if we’re going to minimize spread to vulnerable members of our society.

3 Likes

I’m devastated for Simpson and Teske. I was hoping they could beat Rutgers and then cancel the tourney right after that, as it is the right thing to do. At least end on a winning note.

2 Likes

That’s a great point…look at our own thread ppl that were in Indy were going to meet up at a bar instead of going into the stadium. That doesn’t exactly stop the spread of disease lol.

Statement from Juwan Howard.

On the cancellation of the Big Ten Tournament … “Some things are bigger than basketball. This is a global situation and we need to make sure we follow the guidance and direction of the experts and health officials. While we are disappointed of not being able to play this event — especially for Zavier and Jon, we need to stay bonded together during this time. We want everyone to stay safe and take precautions to protect yourselves and loved ones. We are a Michigan family … forever.“

10 Likes

I think not having 8 teams worth of kids rubbing their sweaty bodies on each other for 40 minutes today, 8 tomorrow, 4 saturday, and 2 sunday will marginally help.

How, though? It’s not like you can cancel work or other responsibilities the way you can just cancel a basketball tournament.

Plenty of companies essentially have cancelled work. China certainly did.

It probably is, but only by a factor of maybe 2x or so. But how about their coaching staff? Their parents and grandparents, arena staff, the officiating crew, etc.? It’s not just 10 dudes out there.

1 Like

I hope the power companies and water companies don’t cancel work. I hope grocery stores and pharmacies don’t cancel work.

2 Likes

Italy has basically shut down all expect exactly what you’re mentioning, yeah.

1 Like

I’d sure love a couple days off from working in the emergency department…we should probably just shut it all down for a bit!

1 Like

Yes indeed.

Italy has cancelled work for all non-essential services.

Yes I know.

1 Like

I think if we can take each other seriously and not make disingenuous shots implying people are saying things you know they aren’t, this would be easier.

1 Like

So we can acknowledge that work can, essentially, be cancelled and water will still come out of your tap.

Then what are you arguing? Yes America needs to get its stuff together and start making companies send people home. No cancelling basketball games won’t stop the virus, but maybe it’ll be a wake up call to people that don’t give a . about whats going on.

3 Likes

If anything that should just tell you how poorly the outbreak has been handled in this country.

These are not easy decisions. There is talk of closing K-12 schools. A large percentage of hospital nurses have kids in school. If they have to stay home to take care of them, who takes care of the patients?

Leaders really have to think things through and not have knee-jerk reactions.

3 Likes