2020-21 Roster Speculation

Regarding Bajema, I really wonder if it’s an issue of strength. If Juwan just thinks he’s not physically ready. I also wonder if Martelli has some influence there, since he offered Nunez at St. Joseph’s.
Some players shine on the big stage, others show better in practice. Clearly Nunez is showing something in practice that does not translate to games. That much is obvious.
Though most of his minutes have been against low-major competition, Cole has looked smooth, comfortable, confident out there. Pretty much the opposite of how Nunez looked in garbage time last season.

2 Likes

Many times for Freshmen, especially Freshmen role players, playing time is determined by how quickly they can grasp defensive concepts/rotations.

I have ZERO inside information on Bajema, but my gut leans me to believe that he’s struggling with recognition of defensive responsibilities (it’s a major jump from college to HS, even more so a smaller HS w/o playing summer shoe league). Nunez has been in the program longer and likely has a better grasp on the basic concepts there — makes him a less risky play.

1 Like

In today’s “positionless” concept of basketball, your position is defined more by who you can guard on defense than what skillset you bring to offense.

LeBron and Giannis are not point guards, but they are more effective at point guard elements on offense than all but what, 4, 5 “Point Guards” in the NBA.

Stauskas was not a point guard, but handled many offensive duties at UM that you would associate with a traditional Point Guard’s role in an offense. Same for Levert, after Stauskas left. Going back earlier in the Beilein tenure Manny Harris.

Point being, Brooks is capable of defending B1G starting PGs, so Brooks is capable of being a PG in a positionless basketball system.

10 Likes

Davis >>>>>> Castleton

1 Like

This year for sure. Next year, who knows.

3 Likes

Davis might not be as “talented” but the guy does his job

2 Likes

As discussed previously, you would not have said this when Davis was a sophomore. Soooo, guess what? This is a better example of proving my point. Players can get better as they get more experience

5 Likes

lol, saying players can get better isn’t making a point. Of course players can get better. They often don’t, but sure they sometimes do. My point was that Davis is a better option going forward than Castleton. Today is further proof of that.

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, Austin Davis is the kind of player EVERY coach wants on his team!

3 Likes

Yeah, I think at this point you gotta see if Davis wants to stick around. Has his limitations, sure, but knows his assignments executes consistently to the best of his ability, there is value in that. Best case scenario is he is the 3rd big behind Dickenson and an improved Castleton but there is value in having him in that role

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure I’m sold on having Dickinson, Davis, and Castleton on the roster all at the same time with the amount of guys Juwan wants to bring in and can bring in, but there is total value in that. Foul trouble with bigs is dangerous.

Dylan talks a lot about how we could see some unexpected roster shuffling (and he’s totally right)… what if Castleton were to transfer and Davis operates as the second big for a season, then is out after 1 year and Juwan can recruit another big in? Not saying that will happen by any means but you never know. I dont know if that would be the worst thing, but I do like Colin’s potential so we’ll see.

3 Likes

Agree with all you said. Space is at a premium so that may mean somebody has to go. Who knows…maybe Davis wants to go somewhere to get his grad studies going. But I would feel a lot better about those 3 at the five, with small ball options available if matchups dictate

2 Likes

We need a guard next year. No questions asked. If Christopher doesn’t come, I want them to explore the grad transfer market. So they need to do what they need to do to be the most successful next year

2 Likes

Yeah ideally we have only 2 bigs and then get an extra guard for sure. BUT in terms of that second big, I almost feel like 1 year of Davis is better than 2 years of Colin. A bit early to say but just a thought.

If Castleton transfers I’ll have the Davis staying convo, otherwise I’d prefer not. He’s solid at what he does: catching and finishing, solid back to the basket. But he’s not a good rebounder and he’s a really bad defender. If Castleton can get learn to catch and finish consistently he becomes a better option than Davis

4 Likes

I agree, I guess I’m operating under the assumption that Dickinson MAY be able to earn the starting spot within the first month of the season. IF that was the case (very very well might not be) then I like Davis as a backup who knows how to do his job and give solid bench minutes as opposed to what I’ve seen from Colin so far.

Again though, Colin has some real talent and maybe an extra year with Sanderson can do wonders. Just haven’t liked what I’ve seen this year.

Anyone who doesn’t think Castleton will be better than Davis next year clearly has no faith in Juwan Howard or the rest of the staff to develop bigs. Davis is a finished product at this point, Castleton is no where near done progressing and I expect he will progress quite a bit between now and next year.

4 Likes

Of course players can get better. They often don’t

This is a pretty awful take… Players often don’t get better? What?

Davis has been doing great for his expectations. But I still think Castleton’s ceiling is way higher and I’d rather have him on the roster next year than Davis. Castleton has been playing most of his minutes at the 4 since Livers got injured and hasn’t even really filled out his body yet.

2 Likes

Even without Davis and Castleton, I think we’d be just fine with the Dickinson, Todd, and Johns combo eating the minutes up at the 5.

4 Likes

This is another point. I’d prefer to just go small with our plethora of PFs