2019 - PG - DJ Carton (OSU Commit)

Listened to Dan Dakisch talking with Gene Keady. Dakisch said Andrew Dakisch feels he had a role in getting a recent recruit to commit to Buckeyes. Probably Carton??? Andrew thinks he’s the new Calipari according to his dad :slight_smile:

In my view, “his plan” consisted of telling Carton what he wanted to hear. He doesn’t have to deliver on his plan, he just had to get Carton to buy it.

2 Likes

Not worried about holtman yet.

I always find it funny when coaches use players that they didn’t coach in their recruiting pitch. Selling him as the next Conley and Russell when he had nothing to do with them or their success.

6 Likes

It worked.

Snippet related to Michigan:

It helped that Ohio State, unlike Michigan, will be light on point guards next year and should allow Carton to have the ball a lot as a freshman. It also helped that Ohio State, unlike Michigan, embraced the idea that Carton — if he develops the right way — could be an early departure for the NBA after a few years.

Ohio State laid out a three-year plan for Carton, modeled after the path of former Duke guard Jason Williams. Schrage was the recruiting coordinator and director of basketball operations at Duke from 1999-2008. Like Williams, Carton wants to get into broadcasting when his career is over. The plan was:

1. Win Big Ten Freshman of the Year, a conference championship and make the Sweet 16 in year one.

2. Be an All-American and national champion in year two.

3. Be National Player of the Year, a graduate and an NBA lottery pick after year three.

Ultimately looks like he just wasn’t a culture fit. Wanted a promise and guarantee that he’d be Freshman-year Burke right away, which Beilein is never gonna do.

I find the 1,2,3 list pretty hilarious in a multitude of ways though.

7 Likes

Would be tough to achieve his freshman year plan with Zavier Simpson checking him in practice every day.

15 Likes

Will also be tough to achieve some of those goals with Zavier Simpson checking him in B10 games next year. :stuck_out_tongue:

21 Likes

Also it isn’t like there is really another PG on the Ohio State roster, so not exactly tough to make that promise.

1 Like

I’m also confused why Carton is back for year 3 after being an All-American national champion in year two.

17 Likes

Ridiculous.

Comparing his situation to a one time situation that happened 15 years ago at DUKE.

1 Like

The list is dumb for sure. but ultimately it boils down to Carton being more or less a guarantee to start from day 1. If that’s what he wants he made the right choice. Also the line about Michigan not embracing that he could be an early entrant seems off base considering the large amount of early entrants we’ve had from players of Carton’s ranking and below.

2 Likes

I’d guess there’s a subtle difference in how the pitch goes/sounds? It seems like Beilein has said in the past that he pitches guys on being a student-athlete and wants guys who are there to immerse themselves in the college experience, and that he will help them make the best NBA decision but that he isn’t pitching Michigan to explicitly be an NBA factory. I believe that he pitches that he will develop you like [insert player here] and that he has a track record of putting guys into the NBA early, but he doesn’t say stuff like “I want you to be a 2 and done player NPOY All-American National Champion”. Also, no guarantees.

Yeah that brand of recruiting just comes across as a little bit of a cheesy used car salesman pitch. Especially when you’re pitching things you can’t control like awards. Works for a lot of coaches though I suppose. I really appreciate the authentic way Beilein does things. We are going to develop you like ____ and if you work hard, you will win a lot of games and your goals will come to you.

3 Likes

So Holtmann promised Carton he will be the most decorated player in Big Ten history? What planet does anyone involved on either side of this pitch live on if they actually believe all three of those things will happen.

Shit…even if Carton came to Michigan and sat behind X, if he’s THAT good…he’s gone after his sophomore year anyway like the last two All American level point guards that JB had.

3 Likes

This comment may not age well, and I’ll be the first to admit it if it comes to pass…

But, I can’t wait to see Sr. Zavier Simpson in his matchup with FR hot-shot DJ Carton next year, particularly after last night. They probably left that education out of the three year plan.

7 Likes

Ultimately, OSU sold him on something they’ve actually never done as a coaching staff. Beilein developed Trey Burke into exactly what OSU says they’ll do with Carton.

I think he would’ve been a great fit and would’ve played significant minutes next year if he picked up the offense.

He would have played over Brooks right away.

DJ needs to keep his ego in check. He sounds borderline narcissistic.

I have to give the young man a pass…he’s young and impressionsable; perhaps! I strongly believe Z would have made him better everyday in practice…might not score for the first month of practice like DDJ. JB is all about fit and culture…TEAM, TEAM TEAM!!!

Good luck to the young man, earn it!

4 Likes