2019 - G - Mark "Rocket" Watts (Former Target)

2 Likes

This is actually a bit surprising to me. I would have guessed we were maxed out on small guards for a while

Isnā€™t he a huge state lean?

If heā€™s truly a PG, 6ā€™2" (with potential to grow) is not small. Thereā€™s also always the possibility of attrition so you have to keep recruiting replacements these days.

Seriously deep range on his jump shot. Athletic as well. His videos donā€™t show a lot of passing.

Heā€™s much more of a scoring combo guard than a point guard right now IMO.

1 Like

Would you say the same about Eli and David?

Junior year highlights. While Beverly might have the better ceiling between the two, I like Watts a lot and actually think he would be the better fit in Beileinā€™s offense (which is why I think Beilein is prioritizing Watts more right now).

2 Likes

Any scout tapes out there? Highlight tapes are fun and all but donā€™t generally deliver a complete picture. As for the Watts vs Beverly debate, I was not impressed with Beverlyā€™s attitude and effort the one time I saw him live this year. Also, while college success is not directly correlated to HS success it is a bit concerning that he isnā€™t even the best player on his own team. Bryce Washington is a very nice player and a division 1 kid in his own right but you would think if youā€™re a guard whoā€™s as highly regarded as Beverly that heā€™d be option 1. I think itā€™s different when youā€™re talking about bigs who havenā€™t developed yet. Maybe Iā€™m wrong but definitely not sold on Beverly in the admittedly minimal amount Iā€™ve seen him play.

I havenā€™t followed recruiting that closely lately, but I also like the fact that Watts has a 2020 teammate who appears to be REALLY promising, assuming he continues to put in the work.

2 Likes

Jackson has been to Michigan for three unofficial visits since October (according to 247), so hopefully thatā€™s a good sign

3 Likes

Yeah, the word is that Jackson really likes Michigan. I believe the same is true of Scooby Johnson in 2020 as well.

3 Likes

The 2020 class in general seems to all like Michigan. I know Jalen Terry up at Beecher has been here multiple times as well, although last I checked Beecher struggled this year (hopefully more a result of losing Malik Ellison than Terryā€™s play). Even Weems seems to be showing more interest as of late even though heā€™s been pegged as a Sparty lock for over a year now. I remember for the Ohio State game, pretty much all of the top guys in 2019 and 2020 visited.

Iā€™ll say that I watched Flint Beecher play U of D and i completely forgot that Jalen Terry was on the team. JB was also there to watch Dejulius and Terry and I wondered why he had stayed through the whole Flint Beecher game, so I looked up their roster and thought ā€œOh shit I forgot Jalen Terry went thereā€. He basically made no impression to me when I actually watched the gameā€¦

Flint Beecher really missed Malik Ellison who went to EMU and EMU was the only D1 school to offer him a scholarship. Ellison is small but can score in bunches.

MSU 247 moderator has put in a crystal ball for Watts to Michigan

7 Likes

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong as I havenā€™t been following 2019 recruiting very close yet, but is Watts not considered a combo guard? Would he be a similar player to Brooks and Dejulius?