2019 - G - Joe Girard III (Offer)

What if Rocket Watts wants to commit?

3 Likes

The Winston/Simpson situation is hardly the same. Beilein knew Simpson would commit on the spot if he was offered. Essentially, as soon as Beilein brought Simpson and his dad on campus, Winstonā€™s offer was no longer commitable. Would that have ever happened without Winston postponing his planned visit? I doubt weā€™ll ever know.

Of course, these offers are commitable when Beilein extends them. Do they remain commitable after new offers go out, but havenā€™t yet been accepted? I wonā€™t pretend to know, but Iā€™ve never assumed they all are. I do assume the coaches keep in touch with recruits and let them know where they stand, especially if they are getting close to making a decision.

Yeah, Iā€™d lean toward Girardā€™s offer being committable now too for that reason. I would just be completely shocked if JB took a commitment from Girard and then took his offer to Carton off the table.

1 Like

Like he did with RJ Barrett and Iggy?

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s really accurate. We were not, in all likelihood, going to land RJ Barrett. Weā€™re in pretty good shape with Carton. And I imagine we would take both him and Girard.

Is that what happened?

reading between the lines, yes. iggy took the spot.

I didnā€™t even realize we rescinded the offer, thatā€™s why this is news to me.

This is not accurate. Iggy committed September 22nd. Adrien Nunez committed October 2nd. You think we would have said ā€œno thanksā€ to Barrett before his visit and then subsequently taken Nunez?

Far more likely that Barrett wasnā€™t ever going to be much of an option.

7 Likes

Yeah I think in Barrettā€™s case, Michigan decided to stop wasting time and resources on him when he was never actually going to come to UM. Iā€™m sure the coaches had a good read on his interest level.

1 Like

Yes, I do. Whether itā€™s accurate or not is subjective.

OK, letā€™s frame it a different way. If our staff believed Barrett was a realistic option, they would not have moved on to Nunez without first determining what Barrett was going to do.

No halfway competent coaching staff would do that. And since weā€™ve made the national championship game twice in the past five years, Iā€™d say the time for challenging the compentency of this staff has long come and gone.

3 Likes

Nunez has little if anything to do with it. Itā€™s kind of obvious that the Iggy & Barrett offers were for the ā€œwolfā€ spot. Once they had Iggy (arguably a 5*) they really didnā€™t need Barrett. Bird in the hand.

Dude, come on.

We regularly recruit wings who can and do play multiple positions. Barrett was the #1 recruit in the country, and at 6-6 could play anything from the 1-3 at a very high level.

There is no chance the coaches said, ā€œWell, we got our stud wing player, now we donā€™t need Barrett, but we should still recruit Nunez.ā€

What is far more likely is that after we got Iggy, we wanted to make sure Barrettā€™s interest was indeed strong, because if he was a long shot, we still wanted to be able to land Nunez as a fallback option because we liked him enough to offer. And I think thatā€™s exactly how it played out. We didnā€™t stop recruiting a five star wing player because we preferred a three star instead.

9 Likes

This is the Joe Girard thread, no?

6 Likes

How much you talkin?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2019 - PG - DJ Carton (Offer)

ā€œI talk to Coach Beilein at least a few times a week,ā€ the younger Girard said. ā€œObviously, my dad played for him and Iā€™ve had a really good relationship with him my whole life.

ā€œHe calls me, lets me know how heā€™s feeling and everything. Heā€™s a really open guy and does everything by the book. Heā€™s done a really good job communicating with me and making me feel wanted at Michigan.

ā€œHe tells me Iā€™m the best shooter in the country and that I can come in and play right away with their style of basketball.ā€

2 Likes