2018 Recruiting Notes

This is also just straight up stolen premium info, unless Sam put it up on twitter, which I doubt.

This will never change, but for the life of me, I will never understand how some people have no respect for how someone like Sam earns a living.

2 Likes

This wasnā€™t premium info (though some of Snowā€™s responses were). And apparently the services donā€™t mind so much because mgoblogā€™s recruiting info is essentially all stolen from subscription sites and they still have good business relationships with Lorenz and Webb? Maybe if you attribute it and donā€™t post everything the free advertising makes up for the breach of proprietary infoā€¦

That seemed to literally come bullet point for bullet point from one of Samā€™s message board posts, but maybe I missed it being posted somewhere else as well?

Oh - maybe that specific post isnā€™t premium? You didnā€™t have to be a 247 or TMI subscriber to read it? Hard to follow with the strange, slow rollout of the merger between the sites.

The same sites that censor the name of our site when people would credit it? The horror.

Look guys, donā€™t outright copy and paste information thatā€™s behind a paywall elsewhere. DO give people credit and link to stuff, in this case a free article at Scout by Sam Webb about Currie potentially decommiting (try it in incognito):

https://scout.com/college/michigan/Board/102410/Contents/Webblog-Basketball-recruiting-shake-up-108124705

6 Likes

Yeah, the post wasnā€™t premium. I know because I clicked on it and saw it but donā€™t pay for Scout. Also, if you look at the tweet, it differentiates between his post and the ones from Snow with a (VIP). Most of those posts are premium thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Updated the recruiting profiles for 2018: https://umhoops.com/recruiting/2018-recruits/

And the visit calendar: https://umhoops.com/official-visits/

Does the Currie situation seem strange to you? I am not understanding a kid fulfilling a lifelong dream (playing for M) then changing his mind a few months later. I also donā€™t see Coach Beilein accepting his commitment then forcing him out a few months later for another recruit.

3 Likes

The part that seems strange is his reclassifying when he is not projected to be a contributor right away. The rest makes sense. Beilein offered Currie as a 2019 with potential. Heā€™s recruiting CC because he can contribute right off the bat at a position that might be very thin in 2018. Currie may love Michigan, but heā€™s being recruited over. His prospects look better here if CC isnā€™t part of the class.

1 Like

Maybe Currie committed with some sort of agreement that he would be able to be a part of the 2018 class. I still donā€™t think it would make sense for Beilein to push that process along.

If we wanted a 2018 big at the time, we wouldā€™ve looked at the 2018 class, not someone in 2019 that could potentially reclassify.

1 Like

I would have thought Currieā€™s commitment would have been with the understanding of Redshirting.
Maybe we can still add him but in the 2019 class and wait and see on the redshirt.

I assume this means that we intend to sign Castleton plus one of the guards on the radar. I also assume this means that we had an unpleasant conversation with Currie - asking him to re-re-classify or something.

Locke is a special shooter with some diversity to his game, I hope we can land him.

1 Like

What happened with the Friday visits from Nunez and Castleton? Did they get their offers?

They just arrived yesterday.

They are on officials this weekend that started on Friday. Officials, I believe, run for a max of 48 hours.

If the class does end up/close out with Castleton and Nunez, would this not clearly be (on paper) the best class since 2012? They donā€™t have a top blue-chip like McGary (at the time he committed), but they again fill every position at once if they need to.

1. DeJulius
  2. Nunez
  3. Brazdeikis
  4. Johns
  5. Castleton

Hard to not be pretty satisfied with that outcome IMO.

9 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s a damn fine future lineup right there.

2 Likes

Add Poole Livers Brooks and thatā€™s an incredible 2 year haul.

5 Likes

Remember the wish list of Nance, Hunter, Carmody, and Ryan? Seems so long agoā€¦

Hope this group turns out to really good.!

2 Likes

Brandon Johns was the first guy they offered in the class. Heā€™s been on the wish list for a while.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, if you had to choose between that ā€œwish listā€ to go along with DeJulius or what it appears weā€™re going to get to go along with DeJulius, which group would you take?