2017 - F - Kris Wilkes (Offer)

So he’s putting out a final 5 but he’s not deciding until the Spring? Any reason why?

It’s good that we will know soon if we are still in it with him. Hopefully, we will have a better idea in Sept (once official visits start again) if we have a legit shot with any of the 5 star kids. If we do, then we should hold out for one of them. If not, then I think we should go all out for Cain who hopefully will still be in the board.

Maybe he wants an education?

6 Likes

Well played, sir. Well played. :+1:

1 Like

If I was in Kris Wilkes’ position, I wouldn’t decide until spring either. Guys who are a step or many steps below on the pecking order can wait themselves out of an offer by delaying prior to the fall signing period, much less until spring (see e.g., Seth Towns), but guys like Wilkes can afford to wait. Every school (or virtually every school) he might want to attend will hold a spot for you or find room, and he gets an opportunity to ensure that coaches don’t move on and see the roster for the upcoming season.

Maybe it was just an “offer” as opposed to an offer and he didn’t feel prioritized once he started to realize that? Idk why else it would shift so quickly otherwise.

1 Like

Perhaps. Still seems weird to give an "offers to a guy of that skill level. Whatever, gives Michigan a better chance.

Tend to agree, though we haven’t offered Tillman and I have to think that since he doesn’t really shoot the three and we already have Livers, there’s no real position for him to play.

Another thing is that if you take a Cain or Smith, and then take Ryan and Carmody in 2018 (assuming both would come), you really have a TON of guys fighting for 2/3 minutes come 2018: Poole, Watson, Mathews, Ryan, Carmody, and then whoever you take of Smith/Cain. And I doubt any of them play the four very much, as we’ll have Livers and possibly Brandon Johns too.

We should have offered Tillman. I wonder why he didn’t garner an offer. Maybe he didn’t show as much interest. I’d still take him in a heart beat. He’s got the skill set and versatility to be worth the grab despite needing a pure three. By adding another wing plus johns in 18 we’d still be all Set on the wing and for ball handlers. I think we could add Tillman or young and still be all set.

Johns and Tillman are very versatile on offense, so we’d be all set still.! I’d love to get tillmans physicality in the mix. A line up of

X
Poole
Mathews
Tillman
Wagner

Would be very intriguing. With brooks, livers,
Johns , Ibi and teske, Ryan, Davis. We’d have big ten champs written all over us

1 Like

I think it really comes down to the fact we liked Livers more than Tillman - obviously, since we never offered Tillman.

I don’t see how you could take both, as Tillman is not a three point threat at all.

I also wonder if Tillman isn’t an undersized 4. He seems an inch or two shorter than Livers.

Your lineup above would basically have one outside shooter (Poole) in it. That’s just not the offense we run.

I think from this point forward, we’re going to be focused on wings who can shoot (Cain, Ryan, Carmody).

A few years out could change a bit. Tillman, x, Mathews, and Wagner could all be improved by then. Even if you switch livers with Donnie it’s still a great group.

I really think you could add johns and Tillman/ young and still be ok. Particularly with Donnie as he can handle and pass. Either way it’s far fetched now.

At this point I wonder what happens. Smith has been playing very well. Such a smooth athlete too. I think I’d like his commitnent either way.Obviously Wilkes would be the icing on the cake though.

Sure, guys can improve their shot, but after two years of Chatman I imagine we’re not counting on that happening. I liked Smith too, but it sounds like we’re done pursuing him.

If we were going to take another wing that was ready to commit at this point I would prefer it to be Cain. I like his skill much more than Smith’s although I think Smith at this point has more strength. Cain seems to have the ability to create offense for himself at a better rate at this point and has good length.

We should know by this weekend if Wilkes is still interested. He is revealing a top 5 this weekend. If we aren’t in anymore, we can invest our time elsewhere.

I have a feeling we might get the 5th of 5 spots. Just a pure guess on my part.

I think Cain is deciding in September/early October. I would take him if he wants to commit.

I like the timeline of things now - we can keep our options open a bit.

I think we’re in it for sure. I actually have a good feeling about Our status with him. After seeing the lAst list of teams it looked like a big ten heavy decision, if that’s the case I like our chances on this one.

2 Likes

I’d bet we’re in it too, for sure.

I’m betting Wilkes digs Beilein’s corny old school vibe.

1 Like

He might. Honestly I think this 2017 class seems to see the value coach b brings. Maybe it’s the assistants too. Can’t be a coincidence these guys come in and suddenly were looking good on a lot of targets. I think Washington and especially donlon were great hires. Donlons d knowledge is obviously in upgrade and imagine if he opens up Chicago as a recruiting site. Would be awesome.

I’d be surprised if Wilkes revealed a top 5 in order, that rarely happens.

I’d take Cain now too, as I feel like we’ll have room in the spring anyway when Wilkes is ready to decide.

I should have phrased that differently - I think we are one of the 5.

Agree on your other point as well.

Any idea when he’s scheduled to release the top 5?