2014 class and player development

Glad to see we could share a laugh together...........obvious sarcasm on my behalf.

You just get funnier and funnier. Go Cats!

C’mon man, get it right…Big Blue. Are you not informed enough to know anything basketball related other than UM centric bits?

Glad to see we could share a laugh together...........obvious sarcasm on my behalf.

You just get funnier and funnier. Go Cats!

C’mon man, get it right…Big Blue. Are you not informed enough to know anything basketball related other than UM centric bits?

Of course you would know! LOL

You’re damn right I know. There’s not much I don’t know!

Have a good day my friend, you are my hero!

A lot of these kids in this class are going to be fine. Just isn’t going to happen as fast as we would like. I do believe Beilen should have gotten Rahkman and Dawkins more work early in the year, so they could try and adjust to the college game faster as its clear we need them to contribute. Doyle is going to be a solid college player and I hold out hope for Wilson when hes finally healthy next year. Give it time folks.

We are basically playing with 10 scholarships for the next few years because chatman, Donnal and Hatch will never be B1G level players. people will say it’s too early to know but I have seen enough.

We are basically playing with 10 scholarships for the next few years because chatman, Donnal and Hatch will never be B1G level players. people will say it's too early to know but I have seen enough.

This is a ridiculous assertion with regard to Chatman, and probably even Donnal. It’s possible that Chatman and Donnal will never become solid big 10 players, but it’s foolish to make such a statement at this early juncture.

Did you write off Darius Morris, Adreian Payne, or Frank Kaminsky after 1 season? These are just 3 of the countless examples of players that looked completely outclassed and out of place during their freshman years. These examples are extreme–I don’t necessarily expect Chatman or Donnal to reach these levels. But there are so many other examples of players who looked MAC-level as freshman, only to go on to All-Big 10 careers. But you didn’t even set the bar at All-Big 10 level. You claimed they would never be Big 10 level players.

Agree with @Alum05 … throwing the label “will never be a Big Ten level player” on a freshman is a bit ridiculous at this stage.

We are basically playing with 10 scholarships for the next few years because chatman, Donnal and Hatch will never be B1G level players. people will say it's too early to know but I have seen enough.

To think that you accused me of “overstating my position” a few days ago…

Im generally in accord with your views on recruiting, but it’s hard to say Chatman will Never be a B10 level player after 20 games. Has Chatman been severely underwhelming, yes he has, but the jury is still out on his career. Donnal on the other hand, he’s had nearly 2 years in the program, and while I don’t fully agree with you, there is at least some legs to that.

With Levert out, these guys are going to go through the fire even more.

More minutes to go around for MAAR and Dawkins especially.

Im generally in accord with your views on recruiting, but it’s hard to say Chatman will Never be a B10 level player after 20 games. Has Chatman been severely underwhelming, yes he has, but the jury is still out on his career. Donnal on the other hand, he’s had nearly 2 years in the program, and while I don’t fully agree with you, there is at least some legs to that.

I hope I am wrong about Chatman but I just don’t see anything positive in his play. I saw more out of guys like Brundige and Colton in their limited time than I have with Kam and we know how they ended up.

I think the biggest issue with Kam is lack of effort and total softness. He plays with no sense of urgency or physicality. Whenever he’s near the rim he fails to utilize his full strength, enegy, and body control to finish, he does the absolute minimum, which is why he’s a terrible finisher.

I hope I am wrong about Chatman but I just don’t see anything positive in his play. I saw more out of guys like Brundige and Colton in their limited time than I have with Kam and we know how they ended up.

He’s loaded with size, skill and athletic ability, and IMO he’s still got a chance to be a pro. If he doesn’t stay in Ann Arbor this summer, that will be a major red flag.

chatman has a chance. donnall is questionable. he seems to have a nice shot when nothing is on the line and there is no pressure. like were up ten or down twenty, then he can face up and shoot. he has no athletic ability, and he has moderate toughness. he reminds me a lot of bielfeldt.

He’s loaded with size, skill and athletic ability, and IMO he’s still got a chance to be a pro. If he doesn’t stay in Ann Arbor this summer, that will be a major red flag.

Loaded with athletic ability? Certainly doesn’t translate into explosiveness or finishing prowess.

Kam loaded athletic ability? Must see something in him most do not. I do see him as a flight risk meaning a possible candidate for a transfer. Donnal on the other hand not so much, because in time (Jr & Sr seasons) I think he will make some very positive contributions.

I think Kam is a huge risk for transfer. We use Kam as a finisher, as he’s simply not that…it’s not a good fit the way he’s currently being utilized. Problem is that Kam can’t be utlized in PnR to the extent that his passing/court vision excels because he can’t shoot…hence teams will simply go under the screen and force him to shoot.

I think Kam is a huge risk for transfer. We use Kam as a finisher, as he's simply not that.........it's not a good fit the way he's currently being utilized. Problem is that Kam can't be utlized in PnR to the extent that his passing/court vision excels because he can't shoot.........hence teams will simply go under the screen and force him to shoot.

Agreed. He does not seem like a fit here ala Brundige, Colton, Smote. With Caris gone, however, he will get plenty of chances to prove me wrong and become a decent player at Michigan.

I think Kam is a huge risk for transfer. We use Kam as a finisher, as he's simply not that.........it's not a good fit the way he's currently being utilized. Problem is that Kam can't be utlized in PnR to the extent that his passing/court vision excels because he can't shoot.........hence teams will simply go under the screen and force him to shoot.

It’s possible that Kam might transfer, but I think you are reading too much into his body language. His body language while on the court is not very positive, but he is constantly making mistakes. His body language reflects that. He seems to be very engaged when he is on the bench, though, and is often the first to jump up and cheer / congratulate his teammates.

Regarding his utilization–how do you think he should be utilized (honest question, no snark)? At this point in the season, he is not a good shooter away from the basket, he is not finishing well near the basket, and he is careless with the ball.

I really think that he is having a very difficult time adjusting to the length and athleticism of players in the college game. I see his skill set as being similar to Denzel Valentine’s. Kam has good court vision, is a good passer, and has above average handles for a guy his size. If he improves upon his outside shot, I see no reason why he couldn’t showcase all of those skills from the 4 position in this offense. He certainly needs to play with more tenacity, but I think some (not all) of his perceived softness / lack of aggression has to do with his lack of confidence caused by him being unprepared for the speed and length of his opposition.

How should he be utlized - Kam would be best utlized on the bench if we’re being honest. Unfortunately for us, we don’t have enough bodies at this point, so he’s going to play.

How should he be utlized - Kam would be best utlized on the bench if we're being honest. Unfortunately for us, we don't have enough bodies at this point, so he's going to play.

I more or less agree with this.

But in your previous post you said “We use Kam as a finisher, as he’s simply not that…it’s not a good fit the way he’s currently being utilized.”

The 4 in our offense is not just a finisher. That is what GRIII did (along with shooting corner 3s), because that is what he was best at. He wasn’t a good creator. But the 4 gets the ball in locations where he can create. With Kam’s skill set, I really thought he would thrive as a 4 in our offense. When he’s out there, I think he’s being put in positions where he could create (not just being utilized as a finisher).

Unfortunately, as you alluded to, he can neither create not finish at the moment.