2014 class and player development

MattD who made you the logic and reason police? No team has 100% strengths. There's more than one way to win the game. If JB wants to do it his way, then as long as he's the coach that's fine.

And there’s a perfect example of how you can be completely antagonistic.

Just because you disagree with something gives you no right to downgrade my comments.

Are you kidding me…you, of all people, are going to lecture me about ridicule over viewpoint? You are the current king in that department. You are probably the most antagonistic poster on this board. Whenever someone’s opinion differs from your own, you resort to name calling like a child. And you have the nerve to complain about downgrading your comments…get real

You are correct, there is more than one way to win a game, and it’s time we started winning in different ways in my view. it’s only fine if JB wants to do it “his way” if he is winning. That is not the case this year, so obviously adjustments need to be made.

Bottom line is that your comments are simply not true, and quite frankly, don’t make any sense. Any reasonable person, no matter what degree of bias, would concede that problems need to be addressed regardless of whether the coach has the inclination to attend to those issues.

I think we can agree we both annoy each other…you’re arrogant and pompous while I’m a homer. But back to the point…

So when Calipari didn’t make the NCAA tourney with his All-American’s two years ago, should he have changed his strategy?

And no - you MattD are WRONG. No college team isn’t going to have an area of weakness. That doesn’t mean you throw the boat at it. There’s more than 1 way of winning, and I don’t think JB wants to throw out turnovers and 3’s for rebounding. So be it. In football, you see Navy taking a different approach than Notre Dame who is different than Oregon who is different than Alabama.

You don’t change coming off of 2 B10 Titles and 2 Elite 8’s - something maybe you forgot doesn’t happen very often in Ann Arbor - overnight just because you go through a rough season. Call up Hackett if you’re ready for a change!

You could also factor our youth and inexperience into the offensive struggles. We consider sophs as veterans. We're trying to integrate 4-5 freshmen into the rotation. It's clear that we don't have the level of talent or experience that we had last season. There have been games where the offense has generated good shots, but our shooting was woeful. I recall one game where we must have missed a half dozen lay-ups. IMO, it's not the system.

I actually agree with a good portio of what you’re trying to convey…we have generated some good looks, but mostly from the perimeter. What is notably absent with this team is the lack of good looks for layups, and/or dunks…we just don’t generate easy buckets around the rim, and it’s killng us as a team…and even when we do, Irvin and Chatman simply can’t finish. We spend far too many possessions passing around the perimeter for late looks from deep that are semi-contested.

MattD who made you the logic and reason police? No team has 100% strengths. There's more than one way to win the game. If JB wants to do it his way, then as long as he's the coach that's fine.

Just because you disagree with something gives you no right to downgrade my comments.

Are you kidding me…you, of all people, are going to lecture me about ridicule over viewpoint? You are the current king in that department. You are probably the most antagonistic poster on this board. Whenever someone’s opinion differs from your own, you resort to name calling like a child. And you have the nerve to complain about downgrading your comments…get real

You are correct, there is more than one way to win a game, and it’s time we started winning in different ways in my view. it’s only fine if JB wants to do it “his way” if he is winning. That is not the case this year, so obviously adjustments need to be made.

Bottom line is that your comments are simply not true, and quite frankly, don’t make any sense. Any reasonable person, no matter what degree of bias, would concede that problems need to be addressed regardless of whether the coach has the inclination to attend to those issues.

I think we can agree we both annoy each other…you’re arrogant and pompous while I’m a homer. But back to the point…

So when Calipari didn’t make the NCAA tourney with his All-American’s two years ago, should he have changed his strategy?

And no - you MattD are WRONG. No college team isn’t going to have an area of weakness. That doesn’t mean you throw the boat at it. There’s more than 1 way of winning, and I don’t think JB wants to throw out turnovers and 3’s for rebounding. So be it. In football, you see Navy taking a different approach than Notre Dame who is different than Oregon who is different than Alabama.

You don’t change coming off of 2 B10 Titles and 2 Elite 8’s - something maybe you forgot doesn’t happen very often in Ann Arbor - overnight just because you go through a rough season. Call up Hackett if you’re ready for a change!

Nobody said throw the boat in, just ADAPT. If what a coach does, with a particular personnel set worked 2 years ago, but no longer works with the current personnel…then yes, you need to adapt and change…it’s called coaching. I already called Hackett, he said nobody wants the job!

Looking forward to the Harbaugh era in less than 9 months!

JBlair, MattD isn't dumb. He knows full well what this topic is suppose to be about.

I could make a thread about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and MattD would turn it into a discussion about how Beilein’s recruiting sucks.

“Beilein only stocks the clubhouse wih creamy peanut butter, but it’s common sense that high profile recruits yearn for crunchy. Michigan will never be Duke or Kentucky as long as Beilein uses creamy peanut butter.”

I don’t know about that. Now a days creamy peanut butter is starting to associate itself with various AAU teams, and they’re going to have to go to creamy schools, so our recruiting should perk up pretty soon if Beilein sticks to creamy.

Just a question to those that saw Chatman and followed his recruitment and looked at his highlight tapes and stuff. How did he get most of his points in high school? Was it just isolation and he did well because of his size?

Just a question to those that saw Chatman and followed his recruitment and looked at his highlight tapes and stuff. How did he get most of his points in high school? Was it just isolation and he did well because of his size?

In retrospect, he most likely played vs very poor competition. I can’t recall seeing such a huge discrepancy between HS film and college performance. He has been completely underwhelming…I was totally wrong about Kam.

He played in the smallest classification in Oregon. He also played JV his junior year when he transferred to a school in Los Angeles.

In Minnesota (where I live) there is a kid, Bjorn Broman, that is averaging 50ppg. He is a good player and signed with Winthrop but is 6’0" and about 180 pounds. Plays against absolutely terrible competition almost every game. His brother, Anders, averaged 40ppg for his career and is now a role player at South Dakota State. Kevin Noreen, who plays at WVU, averaged close to 40ppg for his career and doesn’t even look at the hoop while playing for the Mountaineers. At the HS level these guys’ HS teams completely overwhelmed their opponents with their physicality as well as pressing for most of the game.

Kam is a far superior athlete (I know, I know, it’s not his forte) to any of these guys. I went back to Kam’s stats during his last AAU season. He played on the EYBL circuit (look at that, Michigan got a “Nike” guy) and averaged 15.8ppg on 41%FG, 69%FT, and 17%3FG. I wouldn’t exactly calls those efficient numbers. He did average 9.8 rebounds per game though. Here is the link http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/2653958

Doesn’t look at their team was overly strong. They had Daniel Hamilton, who is now at UConn and Silas Melson, who is now at Gonzaga. I don’t recognize any other name on their roster. Kam had to score for them and the same goes at his HS. Have to think that his adjustment to not being the focal point and the main playmaker is frustrating him as well.

the thing with kam though is that he killed on the aau circuit where competition would have been legit, so he is just hard to figure out

the thing with kam though is that he killed on the aau circuit where competition would have been legit, so he is just hard to figure out

Yea I don’t get it either because I see nothing to give me hope for Kam in the future. Sometimes the rankings are just way off on a kid. Jerrod Ward was the #1 recruit in the country and was a total stiff at UM.

The notion that just because you are winning games you can’t be soft is a bit silly though. The Phoenix Suns are the poster child in that regard - win tons of games in the regular season but at the end of the day it’s meaningless because everyone knew they were never going to win a championship playing that style of basketball

Once again you overstate your position. Under JB they’ve won 2 conference titles, appeared in a championship game and were a 25 foot bomb away from consecutive Final Fours. This is a ridiculous comparison.

93 - I didn’t overstate anything. I simply said you can games and still be soft, and that is true. I used the Suns as an NBA analogy to support it.

That being said - Phoenix experienced tremendous success both in the regular and post season for a longer duration utilizing a similar approach - but they never won a championship

Ok, well a lot of good teams don’t win championships for a lot of reasons besides “playing soft.” And a lot of tough teams fail to win titles as well (i.e. the Knicks with Ewing and Oakley)
In any event, I didn’t see us playing soft in 2013 when we had Trey, Tim, Glenn, Mitch, and JMo. The issue is not style of play. It is early departures plus poor recruiting.

Of course, lots of teams don’t win championships for various reasons. But we’re not talking about lots of teams, we’re focused on finesse teams that are soft. In that regard, those teams simply don’t win championships at any level. Those type of teams can win lots of games, be very entertaining, but history has dictated that style of basketball can not win a championship.

Disagree to the extent that we didn’t play soft in 2013…in fact, it’s the ONLY reason we didn’t win the championship game…we got roughed up on the boards in the second half due to a lack of boxing out, and unfortunately we paid the ultimate price.

I also think style of play is a very significant factor in our recruiting success (or lack of)…athletic players want to be able to showcase that athleticism, and in our system it’s very hard to do that because we play at a slow tempo, and we dont’ press on defense. You get in the open floor generally by doing 2 things: a) generating turnovers b)rebounding extremely well…we do neither

We play a very methodical game that is based on not turning the ball over, I call it playing not to lose rather than playing to win. Our goal under JB is to make less mistakes than the other team rather than being the aggressor. In my opinion, that philosophy takes aggression away from the players and cultivates softness. Just one man’s view

Chatman has disappointed, but no hope? Way too soon for that statement.

I already called Hackett, he said nobody wants the job!

Beilein must be a tough act to follow!

Hackett informed me to the contrary, he’s been advised through various contacts that the job is “career suicide”, and nothing more than a “pit stop” at best because “it would take too damn long to install a true work ethic and workman like culture”.

There is always hope, but hope and objective optimism are very different. It is very hard to be patient when there are no signs of improvement from an individual player almost 2/3 of the way into the season. Patience is very short in an era where seemingly all teams that are legit contenders are doing it with instant impact players that are young. It’s just the way the game has evolved.

Hackett informed me to the contrary, he’s been advised through various contacts that the job is “career suicide”, and nothing more than a “pit stop” at best because “it would take too damn long to install a true work ethic and workman like culture”.

LOL

Glad to see we could share a laugh together…obvious sarcasm on my behalf.

There is always hope, but hope and objective optimism are very different. It is very hard to be patient when there are no signs of improvement from an individual player almost 2/3 of the way into the season. Patience is very short in an era where seemingly all teams that are legit contenders are doing it with instant impact players that are young. It’s just the way the game has evolved.

That just means that he's not an instant impact player. Patience may be short, but there plenty of examples of players were not good as freshmen who became really good players in time.

That just means that he's not an instant impact player. Patience may be short, but there plenty of examples of players were not good as freshmen who became really good players in time.

Totally agree, but the time he needs to become good is at the expense of the team…that is the problem with “projects” in general. If you already have a very talented team, the projects are fine, but when you lose all of your talent, not so much. In other words, Kam would’ve been a very nice pickup for the 13 cycle, but not so much for 14.

Glad to see we could share a laugh together...........obvious sarcasm on my behalf.

You just get funnier and funnier. Go Cats!