20 offseason thoughts on the Big Ten

I can understand that, but when the entire top 5 returns in the stat, it suggests that the returning players were and will be part of a great defensive unit.

Here is the DWS calculation and here is the DBPM.

I agree that the defense will be great, I just don’t think it’s because the metric stats say so. Just for an example of the issues, bench players who had a larger percentage of their minutes with Teske than the other players did will get an auto boost based on nothing that they did.

At least that’s the case with DRtg, I’ll read the stuff on the other ones you posted.

As far as non-statistical reasons for optimism, I would say a second year of Yaklich’s tutelage could make an elite unit even better. I for one did not expect Michigan to be that good that quickly on the defensive end.

Possibly a different subject but I am curious if Livers will get some PT at the 5.

I think Beilein mentioned that they’d be working on it before the season. It’s an incredibly intriguing lineup.

Without a doubt he will. It is a question of how much. I’m expecting it to be a situational thing. A change of pace, an end of game situation, or opponent based.

Teske will eat up the majority of those minutes and deservedly so. Never seen a guy reset screens and get his teammates uncontested layups like big bad Jon. Teske does so many things well; alter shots, defend, rebound, outlet, pass, screen, shot. Gonna play as many minutes as he can handle. Once he gets better balance and footwork he will be one of the best centers around.

1 Like

I agree, I love Teske. He’s like a much bigger JMo.

Hopefully not much.

Love this line and I agree. I understand Dylan thinks highly of Wisconsin, but I gotta see Gard do it to some degree before I buy into them this year. Its hard putting a team with Ethan Happ at 9, but I don’t see a team I would comfortably put them above.

1 Like

Gard took his team to the sweet 16 twice…

NCAA Tournamnet wins since Gard took over:

Michigan 8
Wisconsin 4
Purdue 4
Indiana 2
Maryland 2
MSU 2
Northwestern 1
Iowa 1

2 Likes

I really like Michigan State’s win total in that list :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really like that MSU + Indiana + Ohio State + Wisconsin have only equaled Michigan’s total in that span

2 Likes

Hard to give Gard too much credit for those wins. He was put in a pretty darn good position lol.

I guess put me as someone in the middle. I agree that Gard has not proven he’s a good coach or that they’ll be near as good a program post-Bo Ryan. But I also think they’ll be pretty good next year. Happ will be great, Davison will be fine (although he is getting too much credit now). And the guys returning from injusry is the biggest thing for Wisconsin.

4 Likes

Actually, OSU did win a game in the tourney last year.

As for Gard, I’m also in the middle. His success came with players who were juniors and seniors that Bo Ryan had taken to the Final Four twice (and Ian Happ, who Ryan recruited and coached for a year while he redshirted), but he did go to 2 sweet 16s and rack up 24 conference wins in two seasons. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wiscy in the top half of the league and make the NCAAs and I’d give them an outside shot at a top 3 or 4 finish.

The Gard skepticism is understandable, but it’s misleading to say he won with Ryan’s players and Ryan’s system - Gard was there recruiting the players and teaching the system the whole time Ryan was coaching in Madison, Milwaukee, and Platteville. You could argue that Gard doesn’t have what it takes to be a head coach, but since nobody can define what that is it all falls back to results. In seasons that haven’t been derailed by injury, Gard’s been impressive.

This past season looked a bit like Michigan in 2015 - a very successful team returning just one star and a few key players that was absolutely flattened by injuries, but which nevertheless improved considerably by the end of the season. Sometimes those are the situations that really show a coach’s talent.

2 Likes

True, assistants deserve credit for the teams’ achievements, especially a longtime one like Gard, and he was there coaching Hayes, Koenig, etc. while Ryan was still there. Just some healthy skepticism regarding how much he can replicate Ryan’s success on his own, especially building a team from the ground up. Ryan was a heckuva coach.

1 Like

In general, I’m pretty bullish on Nebraska. They aren’t great, but I think they’re a tournament caliber team - they didn’t really lose anything that important from last year, and I have a hard time thinking Watson can be that bad again. Roby strikes me as a real problem.

I’m not sure I entirely understand why Iowa is supposed pegged for a huge jump, but Wisconsin’s mediocrity is endemic. Both teams were utterly hollowed out by departures/injuries last year, and both teams essentially return every single contributor. The only difference is that Wisconsin was better last year.

On Gard - I’m not sure we can say much. He won with a pretty good inherited team, and then when he lost 4 of his 5 most used players, and replaced most of their minutes with true freshmen…they were worse. This is the year the rubber meets the road with them.

A random comment: if you told me that the Maryland club that lost all three of their meaningful pre-season games had 3 NBA first-round draft-picks (I keep seeing Bruno Fernando discussed as a future one), I’d have thought you were insane. What is Turgeon doing?

Regardless, I see:

Michigan
MSU
Nebraska
Indiana
Wisconsin
Iowa
Maryland
Purdue
OSU
Illinois
PSU
NW
Minnesota
Rutgers

I’m not as down on Minnesota. Isaiah Washington showed flashes last year (most impressively against us), Jordan Murphy is a handful for anyone and Amir Coffey is a future NBA player. Depth and coaching will be huge issues but they do have talent.

I’ve been writing positional previews for UM and MSU all week and this dawned on me. Both teams could start five returning players, but those players rarely played together as a group last season.

Simpson/Poole/Matthews/Livers/Teske played together for 15 possessions last yr per http://HoopLens.com

Winston/Langford/McQuaid/Goins/Ward played together for 29 possessions.

Shows how important the freshman class is for both programs next year. Need to fill important gaps.

2 Likes

That seems like it’s likely our starting 5 (obviously, anything can happen). But is that really MSU’s? I guess I’ve been assuming it’s Bingham at the 4? I guess I’ve been assuming that Bingham is a reasonable fill-in for what Jackson gave them in the same spot (probably less defensively). I guess one could argue that Izzo’s playing time decisions would suggest that he didn’t like that though…

Would Goins get the nod over Tillman? Is he in theory a shooter?