Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

That was Hardaway.

2 Likes

Lol Yeah I think there are two different arguments/decision points: 1) Should you leave time on the clock for an offensive board or not, and 2) Should Zak take an open 3 or defer?

In Zakā€™s mind, it appears he didnā€™t think he had a choiceā€¦he thought the clock was much lower.

1 Like

Keep trying Chipā€¦ lol

1 Like

Which is understandable.

And Hardaway shot 40% from three in conference play that year. Irvin is shooting 25%. Big difference. But since we are playing this game: Should Walton have shot a 24 footer to give time for a possible offensive putback?

Youā€™re right. I never think Zak makes a bad decision, a bad shot, or does anything thatā€™s not super-efficient. Althoughā€¦

1 Like

My apologies.

Not playing any game, just found it funny that those shots ended up in painful losses and interesting to compare how Michigan defended both (and the Evan Turner shot in the other thread). Different defensive scenario because of 3pt margin, but still.

I would argue that Walton went too late in the IU game, just like he did against Iowa. He also had a much better understanding of time+situation because he was running the clock down, not catching it on the wing.

Ehh, I may get a ton of flak on this but I like Irvin being the go-to on last second shots. Caveat is making the right decision in some instances if a guy is open. Heā€™s taken the big shots for us and made a good amount.

I think we overrate Walton being the go-to in these situations. Has he been fantastic in big ten play? ABSOLUTELY. But he hasnā€™t made good decisions in these type of moments. Look no further than what he was doing the possession before. That was probably the worst possession the team had all night.

1 Like

And while I said I was thinking a timeout might work, this is what Michigan got the last time out of a deadball in a similar spot. Now that was a lucky shot on a broken play.

1 Like

Iā€™d argue that Walton went at the right time in the IU game.

Exactly. Someone has to take the shot. MAAR certainly didnā€™t want to. He looked like he couldnā€™t get rid of the ball fast enough.

1 Like

I would still say yes and not because of the outcome. Whatā€™s the point of starting the pick with that much time left? Why not do it a second or two later if thatā€™s the shot you want to take?

This is the kind of take that feels especially harsh. Itā€™s not like he dribbled the ball around for 20 seconds or did anything ridiculous, the situation he caught the ball in meant he was probably going to have to shoot. Iā€™d argue that MAAR didnā€™t wantā€™ to shoot it.

2 Likes

What ever happened to the drive and kick out? You see it over and over while watching good basketball teams. Irvin and MAAR seldom do it, and Walton occasionallyā€¦ With all the three point talent we have this should be a big part of our offense.

I donā€™t have any problems with our final play, except the outcome. I was glad to see us push it up court instead of calling a time out. We got an open look and got off a clean shot. The players didnā€™t have the benefit of knowing the exact amount of time left or to analyze the defense and offensive options available using video replay.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair. He went at about the same spot at Iowa and the whole play got blown up and Michigan didnā€™t get a shot.

May be partly because defenses donā€™t have to respect our driving game as much? I think this is something weā€™ll see more of with X at the helm (and maybe CM?).

Zak shot earlier against Northwestern and we lost in regulation despite having the ball with the shot clock turned off.

Duncan Robinson probably should have struggled to get his shot off over the mismatched 6ā€™3 McIntosh.