Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

MAAR and Walton are driving to the basket all the time. Second to last possession was Walton driving to nowhere and tossing up a prayer…Maybe they don’t draw doubles that much, but shouldn’t it be either ‘coached’ or in your mind as an escape option? Its a strategic way to get open perimeter looks but it doesn’t seem to be a feature of this team. I’ve seen it with Walton, he will drive to the basket, get underneath and kick out to the corner, on occasion. Just wondering why with all the 3 point talent it isn’t used more.

Not disagreeing with you, I think that DWalt and especially MAAR just have a mindset to shoot or draw contact once they’re moving downhill. I think we all wish MAAR could add that kick-out to his game, but for whatever reason it just hasn’t materialized.

Yeah, yet another enigmatic quality about this team.

I think the book was out on us that we used to drive often looking to pass. Now opposing teams tend to stay with our shooters when our players drive. This is good because it creates space for the driver, bad because it makes the kick out harder. Although I do think there are more opportunities for kick outs. Sometimes our players do a good job of moving and shifting when at the 3 point line to create space and make it harder for the players guarding them, other times not so much.

??? I’m confused at what you’re trying to prove or who this is for ???

2 Likes

To be clear, I am not trying run Irvin down or place blame on Irvin…I am not saying Irvin has an ethical failing or something like that…I just don’t think he made the right the decision. There was plenty of time to drive and kick it to Wagner or Robinson or maybe even a trailing Walton–or just pass it to Robinson…For me it is another opportunity to learn from a mistake…No big deal.

The game did not go into overtime because of the great play at the end. The game didn’t go into overtime because NW was given the opportunity and time to make a final play. Hopefully, the team/ Irvin does not do that next time…

1 Like

So the message to players is, the next time you are in this situation, first you catch the pass, then you check the time left on the clock, then check to see if any other player is open, then decide if you have time to drive to the hoop or take a shot. Got it.

1 Like

I believe that is called “playing basketball”.

I think what you’re referring to is basketball IQ knowing score/time left. He’s only been playing for 4 years now this shouldn’t be a question.

1 Like

Yes, god forbid our senior leader knows how much time is left and plays basketball (checking for open players and knowing if there is time to drive to the hoop). I’m sure no one on our bench was yelling “9 seconds!!” when MAAR got the ball.

Yep. Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest. Or worst, rather.

If you don’t think knowing clock situations is important (and that coaches/bench players yell out how much time is left) then I’m going to assume you’ve never played organized sports in your life.

Based on MAAR treating the ball like a hand grenade, I’ll assume people were yelling out “3 seconds!”

Obviously he made that mistake and didn’t know and I believe he admitted as such. It explains the resulting actions. Move on.

Going to tell everyone else to move on? I was replying to Champions’ post. He should move on.

To bring light heartedness to the subject, I think we can all agree just don’t leave ANY time on the clock:

2 Likes

Do you believe MAAR treated the basketball like a grenade because he didn’t want to take the shot or because he pretty much has to defer to Irvin who consistently wants to take the big shot?

If deference is the reason, then I’m looking forward to next year. I think MAAR was just indecisive.

MAAR had nowhere to go with 3 defenders in front of him and Walton trailing. He wasn’t going to go to the right. Maybe he could have hesitated for a moment to see if the defense would move or drove another dribble at the defenders to make them commit but why wouldn’t you just swing the ball to the open man?

As usual, you assume wrong. In fact, I was in a very similar situation in the closing seconds of a game. In live action (not coming out of a time out when you can check the clock and think about the situation) it is hard to know how much time you have and what you can do. They were playing their asses off trying to keep Northwestern from scoring and then suddenly they had the ball and were racing up court trying to get a score.
How many times each game do we see shot clock violations? Don’t their teammates shout out the time? Don’t these players have game awareness?

1 Like