Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

I don’t know why people talk about the ricochet. They get a clean rebound there’s still 1.5-2 seconds left after a TO.

I would be much more scared of a guy attacking the rim with 5 seconds left and not much help defense available. I always thinks it’s not very smart when teams take a 3 in a tie game.

As Dylan mentioned, Zak admitted had he’d known he would have driven the ball. End of the day, I fully am okay with Zak’s shot if there’s 3 second left. I don’t mind it with 5 seconds since it was a good look but I don’t prefer that. I would rather see an attempted drive or pull up.

Maybe the bigger debate is why he wasn’t aware of the time left? Why wasn’t Walton aware of the time left in Iowa? Goes back to my biggest disappointment this year in a team with experience failing to close out close games. They’ve only won 4 games when they’ve trailed in the 2nd half, and two were to Penn St and Rutgers.

Nice screencap. I would say MAAR should have driven and dished it to Moe on the right wing. He was open all day long either to drive or shoot.

Agreed. MAAR looked indecisive with the ball in his hands and it seems like he was looking for a bail-out rather than to make a good play.

I thought this as well based on the screenshot, but when I watched the video again and again, that would have been a very difficult play to make because of everyone’s momentum (Including Moe’s).

I still haven’t watched a replay of the final play, nor do I want to. Never changed the channel so quickly in my life…

I’m a general sense (not last night specific), I’d prefer to see a player drive it if he has a good path to the basket and can get a clean look.

We obviously will never know what would have happened if Zak had taken the ball to the basket. I do think it’s important to note that the NW player was closing out under control. Zak wouldn’t have been able to blow by him. I share Dylan’s opinion that Irvin would probably have had to settle for a contested stepback jumper. I don’t think that’s a better shot.

Did anyone else get this crap alert on their phones just moments before the inbound as well? I’d actually breathed a sight of relief…

4 Likes

Fair enough, I for sure see both sides to the argument. Individually, I don’t mind that contested stepback since it would’ve been as time expired and he had the touch from 2 going, but there’s for sure positives to the shot he took. More a matter of opinion versus facts, because it was a clean look.

1 Like

Am I mistaken? I recall you making excuses for every questionable shot he has taken. Is there any point this season you’ve conceded “yeah, that was a bad shot”?

Percentage wise I don’t think a stepback jumper would be worse than your worst three point shooter taking a 24 foot three. The difference of course being he might get fouled if he drives and there would be no time left if he missed.

He also had an opportunity to swing the ball to Robinson who was being guarded by someone 6’3, has a quick release, and is a much better shooter.

Duncan has a quick release. I’ve seen him get off shots with less space than McIntosh was giving. Throw in the fact that McIntosh is 6’3 compared to Duncan’s 6’9 and I think Robinson’s shot what have had every bit the chance of going in as Irvin’s given Irvin’s percentages and where we has shooting from.

By Zak’s own admission, clock awareness was the core issue here. Had he known the time before he received the pass, he may have made other decisions, but he (incorrectly) didn’t think he had time to make a better/different decision. Instead, he clearly thought that he was going to need to hoist as soon as he got the ball.

2 Likes

Pump and drive or just drive is the best play here.

Maybe you draw McIntosh, but he looks content to stay with Robinson (probably smart). I don’t see the swing as a real option here because McIntosh would do everything to take away the three and you would need to at least draw him in.

Of course the way McIntosh was guarding Duncan, means the case that Irvin should have driven even better. I’m also sure that Irvin would agree with this after breaking down the play on film. Difference is that he thought there were probably 3 seconds instead of 5 in the heat of the moment.

I agree that pump and drive or drive is the best play. I’m saying that I think a Robinson three from the corner over McIntosh as time expires is also a better choice than Irvin taking a 24 footer.

That’s the point I made previously but it’s not going to get heard in this thread of loud noises lol

1 Like

The bottom line for me is that Irvin took that shot because he wanted to take that shot. His wanting to take that shot when he is by far the worst shooter on the floor is the problem…He shouldn’t want to take that shot, IMO.

On the flip side. What the hell is Walton doing from 10 seconds on? Trailing the play like Walton did is a good idea if Northwestern shows any indication of losing track of him. NOrthwestern defended the last 10 seconds well and Walton failed to read the play and adjust his run.

Disagree. It is pretty hard in that situation to split seconds perfectly. Besides, it is good to leave time for an offensive put back attempt.

I said that Zak should have used more time and got chastised for it. Glad at least Zak agrees with me :).

If you’re losing I agree that I think it’s best to shoot with a few seconds left to allow time for cleanup if you miss. When it’s tied, I prefer the only two options to be win or go to overtime. I don’t want there to be time for the opponent to get a shot in a tie game.

1 Like

Also, I’m pretty sure we are dead last in the conference in offensive rebounding aren’t we?

Did Tim Hardaway Jr. shoot too early?