Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

Yep, if Livers is good enough to play by all means I hope we give him big minutes. I’m moreso worried that DJ will be guaranteed 30-35 at the 4, Matthews the same at the 3, and Duncan will take all the backup time. Just feels like a logjam to me and I would HATE to lose a year of Livers because I think he has tons of potential for us down the line. If JB knows he’s only going to crack 5 minutes a game I feel that’s a huge waste of a season of eligibility

1 Like

“would” or could? Th NBA has few players who work as hard as Rip to get open.

That would have left us with only 9 guys, three of which are centers.

Yeah – basically I can buy the decision because there’s literally no other scholarship guard. But he clearly isn’t ready.

1 Like

So burn the redshirt if someone got hurt? I don’t see what the value is in not redshirting a player that literally has not appeared in meaningful minutes once

1 Like

Beilein has made it sound as if the redshirt option is a mutual decision. Maybe Ibi wasn’t interested, Beilein isn’t going to guarantee him a fifth year so maybe he figured he’d take his chances on getting on the floor.

He can always transfer and rs the transfer year if he feels that is the best decision for him.

Sorry, a few hours late to re-joining this thread, but there’s a big difference between being a good passer within the flow of the offense and being a facilitator of the offense.

Jimmy King & Ray Jackson were real good passers and had “plus” court vision, but were a lot more efficient playing off CWeb or Rose than they were facilitating the offense themselves as Seniors.

Manny Harris, Soph yr DMorris, Burke, Hardaway, Soph yr Stauskas, LeVert… those guys had offense game suited to facilitate the offense.

When the shot clock gets to 6-7seconds and offensive set hasn’t yielded anything, someone has to be the guy to step out to the top of the key and “do something.” Irvin was that team appointed guy for most of this season and his efficiency suffered because of it; Walton has stepped up more in that role the last half-dozen games or so and has been more effective than Irvin was. I’m not sure I see anyone who is a natural fit for that role next season — Matthews or MAAR may default into the role, but neither appears today to be a good fit and both will likely see Offensive Efficiency ratings take a hit because of it.

1 Like

As good a shooter as Robinson is, and his improvement on cutting to the rim those who have his ear should tell him this is his pathway to being a pro.

Just the guy we want taking that shot 4 seconds early in the game clock in a tie game per this forum.

1 Like

Cant believe MAAR didnt just sprint head-first toward the rim

edit: Zak did have a good game, though. Just not the right player taking that shot, and he took the wrong shot, to boot.

1 Like

Lol yup Irvin who hadn’t missed a shot in the 2nd half and made a great play to tie the game one minute earlier by getting to the rim is who cost us the game.

Not Wagner’s poor shooting, not missed one and ones, not Wilson being completely uninvolved the entire night, not being unable to defend the full court with 1.7 seconds left.

Nope let’s continue to harp on Zak, who was our only starter that made more than half his shots tonight.

5 Likes

Irvin played great for the majority of the game. He played within himself which was nice.

He still should have deferred there or ran more time off before chucking. You simply can’t leave time for the other team if you’re taking that shot.

I will say that I blame MAAR more than I blame Zak. If Zak hesitates and tries to find someone else, chances are we either run out of time or the shot we get is much worse than the one he took. Like another poster mentioned, MAAR should’ve attacked the rim on that play.

2 Likes

Yes, let’s blame Irvin for not waiting an extra 1.4 seconds so a defender could converge on him and force him to take a contested shot.

Let’s not blame that putrid inbounds defense. No agenda here.

1 Like

Walton’s hero ball wasted possession 1 possession earlier and DJ leaving Pardon completely unguarded after he set the screen on the last play hurt much more than Irvin taking an open catch and shoot three one second too early. I can only imagine this place if Zak was the culprit there.

I’ll sit in the middle here. I agree he shouldn’t have shot it that early but I don’t mind him taking the last shot or that look.

Good game by him overall. He played the role of MAAR a bit tonight.

Zak can have played a great game and that could’ve been the wrong last shot. They’re independent of each other. I think there’s dozens of other things that I’d place over Zak’s shot as reasons we lost.

1 Like

I guess I just don’t understand what people would prefer Irvin did there. He had an open transition 3 with 5 seconds left on the clock. If he waits, we either get a bad shot or maybe no shot. The odds of him missing, the ball going very quickly out of bounds off of Michigan, and then NW going full court in 1.7 seconds are so incredibly small.

Edit: If the thought is that MAAR should have just put his head down and taken it himself, i could get on board with that.

2 Likes

Don’t talk common sense here!