Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

Alum05 still probably thinks Zak is a good 3pt shooter. Kinda pointless to rehash this. Moving on.

Waiting for a legitimate suggestion as to what he should have done. Saying he should have deferred or ran off more time makes me assume that youā€™ve never played competitive sports.

There were a lot of weird decisions in the last ten seconds of that game. Irvin shooting with 5 seconds to go was one of those bad decisions. I would add to the list 1) MAAR should have given the ball up to Walton early; 2) Walton should have demanded the ball early; 3)As a team we should have got the ball over half court faster; 4) Why was Walton trailing the play like a turtle (?); 5) JB should have called a timeout as that situation unfolded; 6) Put DJ on the inbounder; 7) why didnā€™t Wilson block that crap?

1 Like

He shouldā€™ve drove the ball to the basket. He had an open lane and NW didnā€™t have a defender directly under the basket. It wouldā€™ve been a contested layup with the chance to draw a foul. On top of that Irvin was also super successful driving the ball today. So launching the 3 with 4 seconds left really is disappointing

Talk about this play more in the game recap, but Walton was way behind the play the whole time. Not sure he was really an option. MAAR definitely could have advanced quicker and attacked. Once Zak got it, he basically had to shoot or rush a drive.

Yep, thereā€™s no doubt that the right play here would have been to drive the lane imo. Then either attempt a contested shot at the rim or kick it out to Robinson for 3. With that said it WAS a good look. If he makes that shot weā€™re all talking about how Irvin is out of his slump. Unfortunately he didnā€™t.

Donā€™t think there is time for a drive-and-kick there, but maybe. He would have had to force something up toward the rim.

There were 5 seconds left when Irvin got the ball. I feel like thatā€™s plenty of time for a drive, dish, an shot. Could be wrong though.

Watching the video Iā€™m even more convinced he pulled the trigger early.

NW gets a clean rebound then they can call timeout with 2-2.5 seconds on the clock.

Edit: Or Iā€™ll say the team went too early.

I definitely think driving to the basket was a legitimate option. But he didnā€™t really have an easy path. Look at the video below. The moment Irvin gets the ball, there are 4 NW players inside the 3-point line. There is one guy (canā€™t tell who) directly in front of him closing out under control, so itā€™s not like Irvin could have just blown by him.

1 Like

If heā€™s going to shoot, itā€™s hard to really time it. He had to shoot/drive at that moment and took the open shot. Wouldnā€™t want to wait for D to close out.

1 Like

No. I mean MAAR should have got the ball to Walton at 10 seconds. MAAR got the rebound and Walton was behind him out of his view. I honestly think MAAR lost track of Walton and that was partly Waltonā€™s fault. Walton was very passive about calling for an outlet/ demanding the ball in the initial transition.

The other thing about the shotā€“we probably would have been better off if the NW player had secured the rebound. Iā€™m fairly certain that more time would have come off the clock by the time the player controlled the ball, swung his elbows a few times, and made the timeout signal. They might still have had enough time for the final play, but maybe it forces us or them to change strategy.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m more in the boat, you get that rebound and make sure itā€™s win or OT. He had been getting to his elbow spot all night, perfect amount of time to do it for the last shot.

There really is not much to critique on it though and I loved the way he played today. Iā€™m just really firmly in the ā€œno time leftā€ last shot.

1 Like

That[quote=ā€œMaizeBlue10, post:516, topic:2301ā€]
Iā€™m just really firmly in the ā€œno time leftā€ last shot.
[/quote]

Thatā€™s fair and I get that, but they also didnā€™t even get a shot off at Iowa right?

If Irvin drives to his left then he would either successfully split the two defenders or dish it out to Robinson for a decent look at 3. But like I said before. It was a good look at 3, but just the last player on the team I want to shoot it.

If this game goes to OT, no one would really be talking about our final possession in regulation. I think you have to give credit to NW for a perfect pass, while at the same time questioning our decision to switch Derrick on to their center.

3 Likes

Very true, but Iā€™ll admit I kept telling myself that game that I hope Walton waits until the end to shoot it.

Iā€™m definitely not trying to be ā€œhindsight is 20/20ā€ after they lost. I just really feel itā€™s best to avoid leaving time on the clock.

Iā€™ve been all aboard the less is more Irvin train but the kid was amazing today. Even the last shot. It was a good look with little time left. If anything itā€™s on Maar for leaving it for him but I liked the look and thought it was in. Maar was brilliant but had a bad final 4 minutes. He should have gone coast to coast. Props to zak. More games like that and this team goes far on a neutral floor. He was great today. He mad the correct decision every play today. Showed a high iq, and great shout selection. Outstanding two way game today.

Yeah, this is exactly how I see it.