Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

Michigan has run 52 possessions the ended with a Moe Wagner shot, pass out or turnover out of a post-up… Any guess how many of those were pass-outs?

1 Like

Neither of them are one dimensional players at all in terms of scoring.

Three of them

Ding ding. And that is why it is a bit scary to talk about running a whole offense through Moe. Obviously he’ll continue to improve, but still.

1 Like

Wow my guessing ability is better than I thought lol.

I don’t mean running it through him as a creator, I just think he should have the highest usage rate next season and we should do that by splitting up his low post, high post, and ball screens pretty evenly. What percentage of his baskets this year are assisted (if you have that info)?

Your Sleeping on some guys skill sets I think,

X is going to be a great passer and creator, I’m very confident in this. I think he’s going to rack up assists next year. He has shown he understands positioning and angles in his brief appearances along with great vision.Maar to has improved in this regard. Duncan has shown to have good vision too. Dj can create as well and will be effective in a point forward manner.

As long as belein adjusts our strategy a bit this unit will excel. He has to focus on fast breaking and a few more post ups a game, combined with shooting less threes. Hopefully he stressed that all summer and makes the proper adjustments. This could be an amazing roster on the break/slashing to the rim. Lots of mid range and at the rim easy basket potential .

If the Wilson/Wagner pick and roll that we saw one play against Purdue becomes a thing then all bets are off.

1 Like

Regarding the Mo pass out stats, I don’t recall any time he has been doubled on the post. Ideally wouldnt we want Mo to finish the possession with a shot every time he isn’t doubled? To me that speaks to his 1 on 1 ability and the defense’s fear of leaving our good shooters open.

I could see next year especially if Matthews can’t shoot that he starts to see doubles on post touches, in which case I would hope his passing numbers increase.

1 Like

Fair point, but I’d counter with Moe’s 23.1% turnover rate on post-ups. He shoots a high percentage, but the turnovers in those situations make me think a pass-out was probably in order a few times there.

1 Like

If he’s similar to GR3 as a freshman, which is what I anticipate, that will be a huge improvement over what Zak is giving us now.

2 Likes

Also I see Charles as a lock to improve over zak. Neither can shoot but from what I’ve seen chArles is going to be better slashing and on the break. Add in I think he will be a step up on d and I just can’t foresee a way that his addition isn’t a net positive.

I know we’ve complained about pace for years, but with a lineup of X-MAAR-Matthews-Wilson-Wagner I really hope we go for a lot more fast breaks.

1 Like

About half.

1 Like

I forget if I was going anywhere with that, but it really is interesting how different he is in terms of creating his own offense than every other Beilein big through the years.

I think we’d all take freshman GR3 production. But freshman GR3 did really efficient freshman GR3 things in part because of Burke and Hardaway. Sophomore GR3 was not nearly as efficient as his usage increased.

The hope is that we don’t have to rely on Matthews to do things he’s not yet capable of doing. I’m just not sure how it will all shake out offensively.

1 Like

DJ is a good passer, Duncan’s shows vision from time to time.

And yet we go crazy when Wilson completed 1 PNR pass to Wagner because it is so new and shiny. Again, there’s some potential there, but also a long way to go.

3 Likes

DJ has shown other flashes as well. It’s not an isolated case. I think we’ll see him diversify his role on the wing to the point where he could be second on the team in assists.

1 Like

Who’s going crazy from 1 pick and roll pass?

I certainly did

3 Likes