Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

As usage increases, efficiency generally decreases. There are obviously some exceptions, but that’s the general trend.

3 Likes

Again some of these guys act like Zak has been a total bum. He has been a good player for Mich. Had to become the most versatile player on the team and regardless of his struggles this year he is one of the tougher players the team has. Has had injuries and thrust into a role that he was not totally comfortable with out of necessity. People can clamor for more minutes to Duncan and X and who ever but the team runs more fluid both on offense and defense with Zak in the game. Also other than D. Walt no other player on the team has more court awareness. He has been a great team player who has been anywhere from option 1 to option 4 on offense and the most versatile on defense. Plus he seems to be a great teammate.

2 Likes

Yes… as a player’s usage far increases their individual efficiency generally goes down. That in no way means that it’s normal for a team’s highest usage player to have the lowest efficiency. In fact, out of every top 30 kenpom team, Michigan, Virginia, Miami, and Florida are the only ones to have their top used player to be at least even with the others in efficiency. Most of their ORtg’s are well above the ones who follow in usage. Not quite a “trend” like you call it.

1 Like

Absolutely^^^^

That’s not what you said. You said “someone has to be the high usage guy and that someone is usually going to be less efficient than everyone else.”

That’s not true.

He hasn’t been been a total bum because he has been playing solid defense. He’s been terrible on offense in conference play, though. That’s not really debatable.

So if Duncan Robinson or DJ Wilson played Irvin’s role in the offense, their offensive rating wouldn’t decrease? When Irvin just had to stand in the corner and catch-and-shoot, his offensive rating wasn’t much better?

My only point is that when comparing offensive ratings you have to include usage rate and context. For example, Mark Donnal has a great offensive rating because all he does is catch drop-off passes for layups.

No one is saying that Irvin should take more shots or hasn’t been terrible over the last month, the bigger point is just I’m not sure who else on this roster can play his role in the offense this year or next.

3 Likes

Correction: it keeps getting posted to show that we have a handful of better shooters than Irvin. You guys just take it solely as a knock on Irvin and ignore the other half of the equation (that we are loaded with other good shooters) for some reason.

That’s not what you said. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

You literally said “someone has to be the high usage guy and that someone is usually going to be less efficient than everyone else”. That wording is implying that the high usage guy is usually going be the least efficient player on the team. That is false. Plenty of high usage guys have solid efficiency ratings. They aren’t usually the least efficient players.

High usage, high efficiency guys are stars. The best you can have, obviously.

I’m sorry my original post wasn’t more clear, I didn’t mean to imply the highest-usage player on a team would always be the least efficient (which wasn’t what I said), I meant that as someone takes on that role, it is often likely that their efficiency will decrease.

2 Likes

First off, I completely agree that nobody else would play his role any better this year. That’s why Ibi is stuck to the bench and Duncan is a microwave 6th man. Beilein’s not dumb, and he obviously would play someone else if he had better options. However, what I would love to see is for the role to disappear next year. You seem to think we want to shove Matthews into the exact same role as Irvin and think he’ll be better. I would much rather have him be GR3 and then run the offense through the frontcourt.

So the question is how do you have a lineup where 4 guys are basically not passers and don’t really create for others? I’m not sure, but it seems like we are going to find out.

1 Like

I agree with that and I figured that’s what you meant. Just explaining why Bebo read it as otherwise.

I think we see a return to the pre-Morris style offense with less ball screens. My #1 hope is that Beilein changes his strategy of not being aggressive on the offensive glass to try and make up for the lack of creators.

But what about the fact that Moritz Wagner’s best offense is out of the pick-and-roll/pop?

1 Like
  1. By making up for the drop in offense with better defense.
  2. More focus on transition. I’d guess we’ve scored less on transition the past couple years than Beilein’s teams normally do.
  3. Hoping the 5th can create.

Less ball screens doesn’t mean stop doing all pick and roll/pop… In the Purdue game Simpson hit 2 guys on pops for threes so it’s clear that at least one person on the team will be able to feed Wagner.

I think our offense looks just as good if not better with Duncan out there or x ect… As a whole though our d is way better with him and I think overall as a whole we are better with him. As long as he understands his role as d energy guy with 6-8 shots a game then we are in good shape. I’m ok with Duncan and x getting a slight bump in minute. Irvin playing 27-32 minutes just makes sense. More rest ect.

Just saying that reducing the importance in the offense of the area where the guy you want to focus on scores the most points seems a bit backwards.

I’d also add more attempts at initiation offense out of a big posting up. Not only do the bigs need to work on finishing and kickouts but the guards and wings need to be better at making the entry pass. That skill has been lacking for years.