Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

I think you give the internet too much credit :joy:. But, man, do I hope youā€™re right about adding the late commitment, especially if youā€™re referring to a grad transfer (or BAMBA). I get not reaching on any more projects, with Davis, Teske, and Ibi already on the roster, but in todayā€™s market flush with 5th year guys, it will stink to have another year with an open scholarship

Zak is a 1500 career point scorer who has taken more than more than 8 shots only 4 times in the last 9 games ā€“ and in 2 of those 4 (Rutgers and Wiscy) he shot 50% from the field and 50% or better from 3. I guess I just donā€™t see so many bad shots when heā€™s not shooting well to get upset about. But letā€™s hope he gets even better about shooting only highly efficient shots.

2 Likes

If folks want to pine over the departure of Donnal like they did those of Max and Spike, they can direct their tears to me. I ainā€™t having it.

For the record I, too, hold out hope for the Baller whose nAMe shall not Be Acknowledged.

1 Like

Again, Iā€™m not as interested in stuff like his career points in evaluating whether his offense is effective in 2016/17 conference play.

He has been grossly inefficient and we have a plethora of players that have been remarkably efficient.

Donnal 130.6
Walton 128.4
Wilson 127.8
Robinson 126.2
MAAR 122.8
Wagner 116.2
Simpson 108.6
Irvin 92.4
Teske 88.0

If this were like two years ago where everyone on our offense struggled and we needed Irvin to make things happen to compete, Iā€™d buy what youā€™re selling. That is not the case there. Our offense has is unarguably better when other players are shooting.

You are using anecdotes to defend a player you like (ex. well he was good against Rutgers!). It all boils down to usage and points per possession and in the end those say that Irvin should defer more often.

1 Like

Conference FG%
Donnal .652
Wilson .540
Wagner .535
MAAR .529
Robinson .494
Walton .455
Simpson .400
Irvin .383

Conference FG Attempts per game
Irvin 11.3
Walton 10.4
Wagner 9.0
Wilson 8.4
MAAR 6.4
Robinson 5.4
Donnal 1.4
Simpson 1.3

Conference 3pt%
MAAR .474
Robinson .431
Walton .420
Donnal .400
Wilson .396
Wagner .383
Simpson .300
Irvin .258

Conference 3pt Attempts per game
Walton 5.5
Robinson 4.1
Irvin 3.9
Wagner 3.8
Wilson 3.3
MAAR 2.4
Simpson 0.6
Donnal 0.3

Conference 3PA Per 40 is a little better way to look at that.
Duncan 8.2
Walton 6.3
Wagner 5.3
Irvin 4.3
Wilson 4.0
MAAR 3.2
Simpson 3.0

@hailtoyourvictor You just keep posting the same stats over and over again and donā€™t really seem to see the argument that anyone else is making. No one is denying the fact that Zak is shooting the ball terribly right now, which is what your stats continue to prove. Heā€™s also still the 2nd best passer on the team and plays an important role.

Both of you guys can drop the personal stuff and back-and-forth. Especially those that have been warned/suspended over and over.

Well Iā€™m hoping that hopefully as people realize that someone that is shooting terribly probably should defer more when the alternative is having teammates who are shooting extraordinarily well.

Zak averaged 14 shots a game for the first 7 conference games, 9 for the last 9 games, which corresponded to his period of struggle ā€“ and in the games heā€™s shot the most lately he was generally shooting better. Could he shoot a little less sometimes, sure, but I just donā€™t see such a big deal. And the fact that heā€™s a 1500 point scorer is relevant, both in determining whether Zak has the potential to get hot and because players are humans. Itā€™s not easy for a big time scorer to stop shooting completely, so Iā€™d say Zak has done a pretty good job of shooting less while doing everything else he can on the floor. Could there still be room for improvement, sure.

1 Like

Zakā€™s career scoring has more to do with us not having a better 1st or 2nd option than it has to do with him being an efficient scorer that past two years. This year we have good alternative options.

This thread is boring

1 Like

The most interesting thing to me about next years roster is to see how much more emphasis is put on getting out in transition.

This is where X shines and also where a potential finisher like Matthews could be very dangerous.

JB is great at adapting and like Dylan alludes to, half court creators appear to be a weakness of next years squad.

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting to me that it seems like Irvinā€™s slide tracks with Waltonā€™s emergence. One has to wonder if Irvin was forced to play a role because of Waltonā€™s play. While heā€™s struggled with his 3P shot through conference play, prior to his 0-8 performance in East Lansing he was averaging 15 PPG (.45), 4.5 R, 3 A and a steal per game. His biggest problem was turnovers but again I wonder if Walton had been playing at his current level if the offense would have leaned so heavily on Irvin.

Thatā€™s a good point. Ideally, Irvin would never have been more than 3rd option during his career at Michigan. He was good as a freshman in his microwave role off the bench, but he was ā€œjust a shooter.ā€ I give him a lot of credit for developing more of an all-around game towards the end of his sophomore seasonā€“he hadnā€™t shown any of that ability previously. But after being the alpha dog for the bulk of the past two years, he seems to be handling his demotion pretty well.

Exactly my thoughts as well, it would be a big adjustment for JB but really hope he looks at getting out in transition. Still hoping we somehow find someone who can create in the half court with the last ship. Itā€™s the glaring weakness among some really good other pieces.

1 Like

I think a lot of fans are underestimating how challenging it is to be the facilitator on offense ā€” get the bullseye on the opposing scouting report, draw the opponentā€™s best wing defender, be forced to make a play when the shot clock nears expiring (because offense failed). Computer statistical models like Offensive Efficiency struggle to account for those factors.

If weā€™re all being honest, though, Irvinā€™s been asked to shoulder a load heā€™s not fully suited for; I remember the same thing happening to Jimmy King & Ray Jackson their senior season. Tough to blame those guys for being put in usage situations that just a little out of their sweet spots.

Iā€™m not sure Charles Matthews game is suited to be a facilitator either. And if heā€™s used in a similar fashion to Irvin, I can easily see him having similar Offensive Efficiency rating. But if Simpson takes a Darius Morris sized step forward & Wagner/Wilson continue to improve ---- and Matthews can play off those guys like GRIII did with Burke/Hardaway then Stauskas/LeVert, those circumstances Matthews has a game that would seem well suited to post ā€œplusā€ Offensive Effeciency ratings.

4 Likes

He accepted the challenge which is probably why I tend to defend him. It is a different kind of challenge which is also why I donā€™t think MAAR would necessarily be as effective in a larger role.

1 Like

amen. ferocious and atrocious.

1 Like

Canā€™t agree that the highest usage guy is usually least efficient. That would be irrational coaching.

2 Likes

Every time I see this I wonder why the poster isnā€™t calling for us to get donnal more touches and PT (not my opinion but it keeps getting posted to denigrate Irvin, but not to anoint the senior center).

1 Like