Where Are They Now? Evaluation Revisited

He scored 40 tonight on 12 of 15 shooting (9 of 11 from three).

40 points on 15 shots is nuts.

He was the rare player that was a sub-par athlete but had quick/decisive movements in small spaces with tremendous shooting ability and enough handle to get looks off the bounce. Never thought he was NBA material, but a really good college player.

Seems every year the state of Michigan puts out at least one high end guard that we look back at and wonder why they were not recruited heavily.

And to think Daniels was once HS teammates with Livers. To think were Michigan could be with both Daniels on the roster in 18-19.

1 Like

Hypothetically but donnal is totally lost. X has no offense and Duncan has no defense. We are relying heavily on six guys. Mark hitting that face up three was nice. I was praying it might wake him up. He has a nice face up/ pop game and is decent at finishing. The way heā€™s playing is really hurting us though. Duncan and him should be solid bench point combo. No reason mark canā€™t score 8-10 every game off the bench with the occasional blow up. Instead he looks like he has given up. Wish heā€™d come to play and embrace his role.

I know no one liked then but I really wish we had Aubrey or even chatman. Really would have helped our bench/ overall roster imo.

Looks like Daniels is going to finish with 11pts, 5assts, 4rebs on 5/9 from the floor vs a top 10 Oregon team.

This is why I donā€™t much stock into rankings. While people were downplaying last year for saying Michigan should give Daniels a hard look (presumably because he was unranked until the final rankings where he entered the backend of some top 100 lists), he wouldā€™ve helped our team immensely this year. If rankings could be done retroactively, Daniels would likely be a top 10-15 player in the country.

Thereā€™s no proof or system out there that can prove or validate he would be doing that for our team.

But there is proof that Ibi Watson is putting up donuts across the board while taking a scholarship whereas Daniels, or another prospect with superior talent, would be producing.

We donā€™t know he would be producing any more at Michigan than Watson is. I donā€™t play that game because there is no proof what so ever for that to be true. Freshman, for the most part, at Michigan, struggle. That is a fact.

Daniels is putting up nice numbers for sure. Were his academics in order? (Have no idea either way). Obviously a LOT of teams missed on that one - he could help anyone in the Big Ten.

2 Likes

I understand your inclination to defend all things Michigan, I really do. But cā€™mon man, this is ridiculous. To say that Devon Daniels wouldnā€™t be a massive upgrade over Ibi f#cking Watson of all people, on any team is just silly. Youā€™re just being stubborn.

Freshman have produced at Michigan, youā€™re just spinning a narrative in an effort to defend Michigan. Manny Harris, Trey Burke, GR3, THJ, McGary, Stauskas, Walton.

Bottom line is that Beilein made a bad evaluation, Watson just isnā€™t very good right now and that scholarship couldve been utilized much better.

1 Like

Thatā€™s just not true. Also, using it as an argument for not knowing whether Daniels would perform well here isā€¦ I donā€™t even know how to describe it. Bad?

1 Like

Thatā€™s 8 players. How many have struggles as freshman? My point is, our 8-man rotation is set. Having a 9th guy doesnā€™t make any difference to me. Whether or not Daniels is better than Watson right now isnā€™t my point, I donā€™t care who is better right now. I feel Watson will be a good player and hell, might be as a junior like D.J. To write a guy off because he has struggled in his 50 minutes played this year isnā€™t smart.

A lot of teams missed on Daniels but a lot of teams arenā€™t a hop and a skip away from him. And it isnā€™t just Daniels but EC Matthews, Edmond Sumner, so on and so onā€¦

The idea that Beilein refuses to go deeper than 8 is unfounded and has been proved wrong several times on this board.

It is 100% true. Because 8 in 10 years have played alright? Jeeze, not sure how to take that one.

Wilson - struggled
Wagner - struggled
MAAR - struggled
Donnal - struggled
Teske - struggled
Watson - struggled
Simpson - struggled

Thats JUST on this team. what are you even talking about freshman donā€™t struggle. My god what do you watch

Who gives a shit what people on this board say, they donā€™t run the team. The man in charge plays 8 players. Doesnā€™t matter what people on a forum say.

Rotations in terms of numbers is downright meaningless and you know it. Thatā€™s just narrative spinning again. Rutgers has a nine man rotation - would Devon Daniels not instantly improve that team?

We have an 8 man rotationā€¦so what? What does that mean in terms of the quality and talent of the team?Nothing, thatā€™s what. Beilein has an 8 man rotation because he has to.

The better measure is how many impact players do we currently have? Would Devon Daniels make the team significantly better? Hell yes he would make the team much better.

Iā€™d trade any player on our active roster for a freshman Devon Daniels right now. Heā€™s already producing better than any player on our roster and I can only imagine how good heā€™ll be next year.

Yes, he is only playing 8 this year. BECAUSE IBI IS JUST THAT BAD.

Last yearā€™s post Caris injury rotation:

Starters: Walton, MAAR, Robinson, Irvin, Doyle/Donnal
Bench: Dawkins, Doyle/Donnal, Chatman, Robinson, Wagner.

That is 10 players. Not 8. There, look back one year and youā€™re already wrong. Courtesy of ā€œthe man in chargeā€ himself.

I think it was clear that 3 of those guys were playing to see if they could figure things out. I just donā€™t get it. Itā€™s not worth debating anymore. We donā€™t have to agree.