Where Are They Now? Evaluation Revisited

What were your thoughts on Jarron Cumberland, remember he was close to getting an offer. Has 15 points tonight but is 3-8 from the free throw line.

Was just thinking the same thing

He definitely does NOT look like a teenager, out there. Probably prefer Livers, for the 4 of the future

I wasnā€™t a fan of Cumberland at all as a HS prospect. My projection was pretty much a catch and shoot guy from 3, which he seems to be with over half of his shots from distance. My comparison for Cumberland out of HS was Rayvonte Rice, and I think that is a pretty good comparison in retrospect. I didnā€™t like him for UM because we need athletic, ballhandling creators. Cumberland is not that.

2 Likes

Jon Miller - remember when you said Ibi Watson was just as good a shooter as Jamal Cain, and they were similar types of players and similar talents, therefore we shouldnā€™t take Jamal Cain.

About thatā€¦Iā€™m taking friendly wagers on 3 point percentage, points per game, and any other statistical measure youā€™d like next year for Cain exceeding Watson. Have no clue how you thought Ibi was a Jamal Cain level talent in any way.

You wrote off D.J. Wilson for 2 straight years. Watson is going to be a good player in time. He hasnā€™t hit his shot yet and thatā€™s ok. We have Duncan to do that right now. Give him some time, donā€™t make the same mistake twice and write a guy off too early.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t write anyone off, I simply called you out on your Watson>Cain claim. You thought Watson would come in and produce when I told you that he was nowhere near ready.

By the way, you are making a mistake on Jamal, and toward the end I think you realized that and are trying to save face.

To be candid, I didnā€™t make a mistake on DJ, at least not entirely. I said he was a project and he was. It took him 3 years to produce. Still didnā€™t envision him producing at this level though, I must admit.

Iā€™m never going to be a fan of developmental projects unless the team is in a position to withstand 2 years of nothing. Especially 2-3 year projects. Just my take

Well I agree to an extent. Our 8 man rotation is set already so Watson isnā€™t hurting that part of our team right now.

Totally disagree here. You are missing the opportunity cost. We need a wing that can create off the dribble and finish at the rim or create for teammates. The rotation may be set, but its not where it needs to be. Can you imagine where this team would be with Bruce Brown or Devon Daniels? We took Ibi Watson over those two playersā€¦Ibi Watson.

1 Like

I just see it differently. We have a pretty solid 8-man rotation and Iā€™m good with that.

Were Brown and Daniels super interested? Iā€™m genuinely asking. Was pretty sure Brown never made us seem like any kind of leader for his services.

Yeah, we just have different standards. Iā€™m not good at all with a bubble/bubble plus team. If you donā€™t think Devon Daniels or Bruce Brown would be huge upgrades over any wing on our team, weā€™re just operating on completely different wavelengths.

Fair enough.

I think the better question is did Michigan do anything to make Bruce Brown super interested? The answer to that is no. I can certainly tell you that Devon Daniels was interested.

Thatā€™s fair, Iā€™d have no idea about that.

Daniels currently averaging 11.5ppg, 4.7rpg, 2.4apg on 60% from the field and 50% from distance as a freshman, in only 26.8 minutes per night. I know John Miller sees things through a Michigan lens, but if he doesnā€™t think that would be a significant upgrade over Ibi Watson, or any other Michigan wing, I just donā€™t know what to say.

And he might cost the team a talented wing in the 2018 recruiting cycle. He needs to produce soon or a lot of good talent will have been bypassed for nothing.

1 Like

Watching Daniels right now vs a top 10 Oregon teamā€¦that kid is the real deal. He may have the NBA in his future sooner rather than later. I was begging for Michigan to show some interest in that kid last year. This team would be so much better with him.

1 Like

Watching Bluiett go for 40 in the early game tonight was a bummer.

Donā€™t remind me of that nameā€¦you know how strongly I felt about him. Talk about a perfect fit

1 Like