Where Are They Now? Evaluation Revisited

But he isn’t. He’s shooting .408 from the floor and .326 from three. And he’s very unathletic. He’s basically Zak Irvin with worse shooting percentages who shoots a little more.

We don’t have to agree when it is opinion. When you’re just blatantly putting out false info that can easily be proved wrong then yes, it is worth correcting you.

Exactly why I asked you the other day 'what do you value?

And you answered just as I anticipated.

You really don’t have any thoughts independent of Beilein’s moves, at least none that you express here. Which essentially means that you give blind support whether it’s logical or not, good, bad, or otherwise.

Bottom line is that for you, whatever Beilein does is as it should be, no matter how mediocre the team may be.

That is an odd stance indeed from someone that wants Beilein fired immediately and disagrees with their philosophical approach to the game.

2 Likes

Ideally, Beilein wants to play 8 and at most 9 guys. He has said that himself. The 9th normally being a third center. It isn’t wrong.

Who are you referring to?

I don’t agree with all Beilein does or says. But how i see things is from a POV in his mind and knowing how he does things. I value different things than he does, but this team is run by him, not me or you.

Understood, but his point of view has obviously been incorrect at times, especially recently. So my point is this, his view, and your view, was incorrect on Ibi Watson and Devon Daniels.

There is tons of empirical, objective data to back that up. The fact that you’re even attempting to argue otherwise is just plain stubbornness

Trevon Blueitt.

Well, that’s you opinion and I don’t mind it at all. But I’m not one to write kids off when one summer D.J. and Moe can both be the most improved players in the big ten after averaging 2 points or less a game last year. How do we even know that if it came down to it, he would’ve accepted an offer from Michigan. No one can know that because kids change their minds and lie to media members. Tyus battle is one that really hurt us when he flipped on us.

I’m a 27 year old nurse who helps coach a small high school basketball team, I don’t know too much about recruiting but There’s no way to know that if we offered the kid that he would have come.

Continuing the discussion from 2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer):

Dude, you make this too easy.[quote=“johnmiller, post:84, topic:2219, full:true”]
Ideally, Beilein wants to play 8 and at most 9 guys. He has said that himself. The 9th normally being a third center. It isn’t wrong.
[/quote]

From September 2016:
"Here’s how the rotations have played out with a cutoff of 12% of available minutes (>10% is what kenpom uses to define a rotation player but I’ll bump it up to 12%).

2008: 10
2009: 11
2010: 9
2011: 8
2012: 7
2013: 9
2014: 9
2015: 10 when healthy
2016: 10

Looking at the years with less than 10 it’s clear that Michigan didn’t have anyone else on the roster who was worthy of being in the rotation. I think if he has players who prove themselves to be good enough to play then they will get minutes."

If Michigan has run an 8 man rotation it’s been through necessity with nobody else who would contribute. You can keep pulling up something Beliein may or may not have actually said but his actions speak for themselves. You are just wrong…

Devon Daniels is much better than Tyus Battle. That’s not even debatable. At some point you have to stop putting so much stock into HS rankings

Maybe there’s no way for you to know whether a kid would’ve come to Michigan if offered, but I certainly do know.

I’ll give you Sumner. Mathews is another high use, low efficiency guy. Not sure he would be that great for us.

Gotcha. Loved his game out of HS. Didn’t know his 3% was that low. Every time I watch him though it seems like he’s a really good rebounder

That may be true right now, but that doesn’t mean it’ll end up that way OR one would be better than the other in our uniform. They are both better than Ibi right now and that’s ok. Doesn’t mean it stays that way. I don’t care about rankings and my comment has nothing to do with rankings. One guy we didn’t even offer and one was once committed to our program, I didn’t say a single thing about rankings.

You are comparing a guy WE DIDN’T EVEN OFFER. That makes zero sense to me.

Over the last 6 games Battle has been doing extremely well. I’d be interested to see where the two end up at the end of the year. He’s still not as big of a playmaker as they would like but he’s creating for himself at a great rate.

Why did he decommit from us? I don’t remember hearing why.

I think you’re failing to appreciate the fact that’s what’s better right now is still better in the future.

In other words, just because DJ Wilson is above average this year, does that mean he’s ‘better’ than Donte Grantham? Not in my opinion. At this point DJ is a slightly/reasonably better version of Grantham, but it took 2 years for him to do anything, whereas Grantham made an impact immediately.

Developmental projects cost a team the most important thing…time. Those type of projects only provide a year or 2 of quality play while holding a scholarship without production for years. That cost hurts a program very bad that cannot land upper tier players too surround the projects. To be specific, developmental projects are killing Michigan right now. We need freshman that can come in and produce in order for us to get better, period

That’s the point…another missed evaluation. Remember I said he’s been incorrect a lot recently?

Because his father wasn’t a fan of Beilein

I remember people thinking I was being overly critical when stating that Battle was mostly a catch and shoot guy. He was certainly an upper tier player that I would’ve loved to have, but he was a bit overrated as well.