Things I'd Like To Hear About '16-'17 Team

In order:

1. Zak Irvin is strong, has regained athleticism, and is looking like the Irvin who finished the '14-'15 season so well. I think Irvin is our best chance for an All-B1G 1st Team player.

2. Mo Wagner is becoming dominant in team pick up games. He’s using his added muscle along with his skill well. I hope he locks up the starting role.

3. Xavier Simpson is giving Walton some very good practice competition and is showing strong signs of leadership and hates to lose.

Looking forward to some tidbits coming out about this team.

Walton plays hard and more aggressive.

Walton’s midrange and finishing at the rim has improved.

Walton scores 15+ppg

Also that MAAR grew to 6’7 and added 30 lbs.

You can cross off #1 (as per this week’s coaches shows). Irvin is stronger and playing like his old self.

3 Likes

Simpson is ready to play right away and is giving the guards all they can handle in practice.

Walton and Irvin are knocking down threes at a high rate consistently.

Donnal and Mo are going hard for the starting spot and it’s anyone’s race.

I’m with you. I think Walton putting it all together is the most crucial element about this team. Along with mo stepping up.i think mo can do it but like I’ve posted a bunch I think he needs more touches, not just off of rolls either. I think him being able to face up and hit threes or mid range pops would essentially make him unguardable at the college level.

He’s shown the ability to head fAke and drive a few times. If he develops a dangerous shot off of the pop I feel bad for the big ten. That would make his gAme so dangerous. Along with his little spin moves on the block.

MAAR has greatly improved his outside shooting.

Wilson has finally put it all together.

1 Like

Walton now has built a floater into his game and will now be reliable at the rim for a league avg fg%

New Bo Ryan-esque rule of “if you shoot before at least 3 passes are made, you better be making 40% of your 3s or 50+% of your 2s or you sit” and it applies to everyone

Mo challenging for a starting spot and/or Donnal developing a more diversified offensive game (higher % of points beyond dump-offs)

[Glad to hear on Zak’s health]

Haha I really like your second “Bo Ryan” rule

I found it interesting Saddi been working with Wilson and Robinson at the 4. If Robinson can defend 4’s it will be a huge addition to the rotation. Huge

I think mo starting should be a given. I’m not knocking donnal but mo is clearly more valuable. I do think donnal is a very nice center off the bench though. His ability to hit the three and score a little will be huge for what could be a weak bench. His senior leAdership and scoring will be crucial. I hope he embraces / steps up to the roll.

1 Like

I agree 100%. I’d be very surprised if Wagner wasn’t starting. The way he ended last year was very encouraging. I don’t have the numbers but he was rebounding very well using his length and athleticism, and Donal doesn’t have those things. Donal will be good off the bench, no doubt.

I read something about Saddi saying Donnal is too shy and needs to come out of his shell - which is very true. He has spurts where gets out of that and then kinda reverts back to being hesitant.

I think he is almost afraid at times to realize how good he can be and be a little more aggressive.

When he plays confident, he is a very good player for us.

Mo has already seized the 5 spot and it’s not even close.

Teske has surpassed Donnal as well and is showing defensive force material.

Everything has clicked for DJ and he’s likely to play both the 3 and 4 at times.

1. Donlon’s mark on the defense is showing in practice intensity and scrimmages. It’s taking work but the players are embracing it and as a result transition opportunities are up.

2. Walton added 2" to his vertical and has been a force at the rim as a result.

3. The game seems to have slowed down for Wilson

4 Likes
  1. wanted this as a reply

2. Won’t let me start numbering at 4

3. Learned something about the messaging software

4. Matthews shooting and ball handling are exceeding the coaches’ expectations

5. Simpson is making clutch practice shots.

2 Likes

I would like to hear only one thing. Wow! not only has the team increased their vertical and added strength they actually are tough and they won’t back down if a team punches them in the stomach.

1. Walton improves mid range and in and distributes like his frosh year
  2. MAAR picks up from where he left off
  3. Duncan adds strength and can defend the 4
  4. Zak gets that speed and strength back
  5. Mo and Donnal form a nice duo as the center
  6. Simpson gives Walton and MAAR solid spot minutes
  7. Wilson or Ibi break out as a solid option on the bench

#3 is key, IMO. If Duncan can be the primary 4, it frees up Irvin to play the 3. He can guard the 3 better than Duncan can.

(Don’t know why this came out in bold font)

1 Like

I am super skeptical that Duncan will ever be able to guard 4s. Can you imagine him guarding someone like Brendan Dawson? Woof

With this stuff I think it’s important to distinguish between the base case and the extremes. I’m not sure that Duncan can guard fours, but if he can do it against an average four for a period of every game then that gives Michigan’s rotation something, lets Irvin rest, etc. So even if he isn’t suited to guard Miles Bridges, it could still be a benefit.

2 Likes