Recruiting Notes

In Beilein’s old system, I would say a distributor. Someone who can deliver a pass to a back door cutter or right in the pocket of a shooter coming off a perimeter screen.

In Beilein’s new ball screen heavy system, either the PG is the guy running the PNR (penetrator and finisher, dropper of dimes) or he’s waiting for a kickout. If the team has other PNR options, then the PG can be a jump shooter who can defensively disrupt the opposing team’s PG.

I think either kind of PG can work, especially depending on the make up of the rest of the roster. But I don’t think MAAR is a good option there.

This.

We need someone on the offense who can pass out of the PnR. Whether that be the PG (ala Morris, Burke) or a 2/3 (ala Stauskas, LeVert).

This team doesn’t really have anyone that can do that.

1 Like

Trey averaged 18.6 pts and 6.7 assists in his sophomore year, Morris averaged 15 pts and 6.7 assists. Difference was Trey had more talent around him to do more scoring.

Beilein has a history of seeing PGs breakout between Freshman and Sophomore season. His offense is noted for being mentally challenging on his guards and requiring time for them to fully get comfortable.

Burke was kind of the outlier — although even he made quite a nice jump after a stellar Frosh year. Walton played a lot, but was protected with the offense running through Stauskas and LeVert — both plus-ball-handlers at the college level.

I’ll admit I expected more from Simpson this year, but he seems to have the defensive pace down OK. I’m not going to dismiss his ability to pick up the offensive pace after a summer with Camp Sanderson.

2 Likes

Simpson showed somethings last night.
Did he throw that bullet pass from just over half court with his left hand? That was impressive however he managed it.
I’d like to see him start to get a few buckets in the lane, but nothing wrong with his pass first mentality.

5 Likes

Back to some actual recruiting… This kids been on campus a couple times already and seems to really like Michigan (frequently posting Michigan things on Twitter) and as a freshman he maybe be the second most athletic kid on Michigans team today besides Matthews.

4 Likes
2 Likes

@MattD what’s the scoop on Steve Pearson? I saw he’s visited at least twice. I haven’t seen a ton of video on him but his clips seem to show an almost freakish athlete for a freshman and he seems to be a fan of Michigan based on his Twitter feed. What’s your thoughts?

Caveats apply because I train Steve and take him on all of his recruiting visits, etc. so I’m extremely bias. That said, you are talking about a high major athlete RIGHT NOW. He would be the 2nd best athlete on Michigan’s team at this very moment as a freshman. He is absolutely freakish in terms of athleticism.

He has a plus handle for a freshman but can be loose at times. His jump shot is really good off the dribble from midrange. Average 3 point shooter. His vision is great for a combo/2 guard.

Dream school is Michigan hands down. I’ve taken him on visits to Michigan twice already, and we’ll be back over break.

Early comparison is Steve Francis. That type of explosive athleticism

6 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. From what I saw in the videos I would definitely agree he’d be Michigans second best athlete. Seems like he just floats in the air. Good to hear he has some vision and shooting ability as well.

That’s awesome to hear Michigan is his dream school would be a nice little change for Michigan to be the dream school instead of State for one of the top players in the state. I just hope Beilein and the assistants show him the “love” for when it gets closer to decision time. It will be fun to watch him develop these next couple of years.

That’s a freshman in HS?! Sign him up! Holy cow. Please Beilein don’t blow this one!

Question for mattd or anybody who knows, are we still recruiting Greg Elliott at all?

Having a great early season, looks like he has gotten bigger, faster and better

Would be a nice late pickup as I think he is like maar but can shoot and create for others to

Greg won’t be getting offered, unfortunately.

I’ve watched him extensively for 2 years and he has all the tools to be successful at Michigan. He reminds me a lot of George Hill

Those are highlights I did for his FIRST high school game. I’m so hard on him that I thought that was a sub-par game. That’s what my expectation level is for Steve.

Very impressive film for a freshman. I like Elliott was well but with Robinson rock matthews Watson and Poole all at the 2/3, just doesn’t look like there’s going to be room unless there’s attrition.

Mattd - any idea who is recruiting Elliott?

The athleticism. I mean, seriously, you weren’t joking he’d be the 2nd best athlete right now on Michigan’s team…as a 15 year old. Insane.

Toledo leads as of right now. He probably has 15 offers at this point from various MMs

What is stopping Beilein from offering him?

6’2 rather than listed 6’4.