Recruiting Notes

Robinson was 59.5% from 3pt Range with 3.6 makes/game entering conference play last year (first 13 games with UM)
Since then Robinson is 36.5% from 3pt Range with 1.94 makes/games (last 32 games with UM)

More and more it is looking like the bottom numbers are who Robinson really is at the D1 level and top numbers were are torrid 2mos? And at the bottom numbers Robinson is kind of Matt Vogrich with worse defensive recognition.

There’s time for Robinson to turn his season/career back around — a break around Christmas to clear him mind followed by renewed confidence to open the Conference season…could well happen. And would DEFINITELY help the team’s outlook moving forward.

But if Robinson is a 36/37% long-range shooter making 2per game with minus defense and minus rebounding…yeah, Beilein probably should move on from that scholarship slot heading in to next season.

1 Like

You’re delusional if you think Beilein is pulling a scholarship from a transfer.

Robinson is listed as a SR on the official roster, so it is not Beilein “pulling a scholarship” — it’s whether they’ll extend the scholarship to his 5th year of eligibility. Same situation the coaches will evaluate with Donnal. Same situation the coaches will evaluate with Wilson next season. And Matthews the season after that. And potentially Davis the season after that.

1 Like

They made the change this year in how they list redshirts on the roster. That is, they no longer do for anyone. They’re following the example of the football team. I wouldn’t read more into it. I think it means nothing as far as Robinson getting a 5th year.

Like I said, delusional. He and Matthews have four year scholarships to Um. Period. Put yourself in the shoes of a transfer recruit. If those guys don’t get to play out their eligibility at UM, rest assured it will be the last time Beilein lands a transfer. The negative recruiting would be off the charts.

And give it to who at this point?

We suck at recruiting. Some project 3 star? How will that help us NEXT YEAR?
No - let Duncan play it out and save the scholarship for the following class.

We already have 3 guys + Matthews for next year.

1 Like

I don’t think they suck at recruiting. I like the group of guys we have here, and coming in.

I guess I meant at this point, it’s not like we’re a Coach Cal that is going to flip a top prospect. We don’t sell snake oil. So WHO at this point are we going to get for the 2017 class that would be better than giving Duncan a 5th year - considering we have a nice class coming in already??

Updated Scholarship Depth Chart, based on current pecking order and discussions.

1 Like

Have high hopes for Brooks being a significant contributor from day 1 of his first year. Opportunity will be there.

Interested to see if JB seriously goes after a PG for the 18 class. IMO it’s very likely needed.

Cohill and DeJulius will be getting a hard look if interested. Still think Cohill is perfect for us if he continues to develop. Kid can flat out get to the rim and finish. A definite need for this roster going forward.

I think Poole starts from day 1.

Careful, a lot of folks were calling for X to start from Day 1 also.

I certainly wasn’t, although I thought you might see more lineups with Simpson and Walton as the year went on. Anyway, I think Poole has a good chance to start. Tim started over a junior Stu. Nik started over a senior Vogrich after a few games. I think Poole will start over Rahk.

Also, if you look at the probable lineup of PG - Simpson, SF - Matthews, PF - Wilson, C - Wagner – Poole’s shooting and playmaking could be a better fit. Then you can bring Rahk and Robinson off the bench.

If Brooks continues to develop at a high rate, I won’t be at all surprised to see him push X for minutes. Right now he’s a combo, but that could easily change.

I think X has work to do before he is is going to be point guard before MAAR.

I think Brookes has some things to prove before he is going to be point guard before MAAR.

Based upon how MAAR’s season is going so far, it might not be ideal for MAAR to play point guard next year, but, he might be our best option. The coaching staff is being foolish if they are not preparing MAAR for the possibility of playing point guard next year…

He has already offered Cormac Ryan. Are you implying that Beilein is not serious about it?

Ryan as a potential PG at the next level?

Um… Here? I don’t recall anyone calling for X to start here. Who’s starting sport was he going to take day 1?

So who are all of this “folks”, considering you said there was a lot of them.

2 Likes

Point taken. I did a pet peeve of mine, which is to take arguments from other places and complain about them here, as if that argument took place here.

Not having dumb arguments like that is why I come here in the first place.

1 Like

What type of point guard is best for JB’s system, distributor aka Morris or scorer aka Burke? I know a lot of that depends on the other players but just thinking with X/Eli in the fold, what is expected of them moving forward.