Recruiting Notes

Doesn’t surprise me about Poole given the Corey Evans hire at Rivals. Corey has Poole at 119 at Hoopseen. Evans has seen a ton of Poole live

http://www.hoopseen.com/players/433

Bowen is in for a rude awakening when he gets to East Lansing.

Agreed. I think he’s overrated. Does have a really nice midrange game off the bounce. Don’t let that shooting explosion on TV recently fool you, Bowen isn’t a knockdown shooter from deep by any means.

Okay so speaking of this, my brother (Who I’d say is a decent bit smarter than me on basketball) and I were having a conversation about Eastern on the way home from the Maryland game. He swore off recruiting forever after the Battle incident and I was mentioning the Eastern thing but he brought up a solid point. As a 6’6" 210 PG shouldn’t we be wary that he isn’t considered a top flight prospect and isn’t dominating everyone? I feel like with that size if he actually had the ability to be a point guard in the Big Ten that he would be a five star type recruit. Now I know you know him and have seen him play MUCH more than me, but is there a hole in his game that would prevent him from being a great lead guard? I know he’s not the best shooter, so in Beilein’s offense he’d have to be an elite inside scorer and passer to make up for that (As Darius Morris was). Also, you said he thinks he’s a PG and Michigan recruited him as one, but is that where the other schools such as MSU and Purdue think he’ll fit? I ask that because his recruiting profiles list him as a SG or SF.

I tried typing that out several times and I couldn’t find quite the wording I wanted so sorry if you don’t get what I’m asking.

Everybody knows that but him. Feels entitled to freely launch at will and put up zero effort on D.

It won’t happen, but Creighton would be his best fit.

Purdue recruited him as strictly a PG, MSU told him he’d play a ‘Valentine role’. That wasn’t good enough for the Eastern camp.

I’ve watched Eastern live plenty, and he’s a poor shooter, but a better rebounder and defender in relation to Morris at the same age. I think he’s probably just as good a passer as Morris as well.

1 Like

Calipari in for Bamba today

Do you have any info on our chances with Bamba? I haven’t heard anything since that report a month ago alleging that Michigan and Texas may be in the lead. Also what is your opinion on Bamba as a player? Do you think he’s truly a top 5 prospect?

I’m not important enough to know anything about Bamba lol. I have no inside information on his recruitment at all.

Do I think he’s a top 5 prospect - I’m on the fence but I’d lean toward no. I watched him play live in EYBL and while he’s absolutely dominant in terms of shotblocking/altering shots and a good rebounder, he’s pretty raw offensively despite having some tools.

I’d love to have him at UM for obvious reasons, he would improve the defense instantly by a fair margin. But I don’t think he’d be a 15ppg type guy or anything as a freshman. No back to the basket game and not skilled enough to play wing. Mostly a garbage guy and catching dumpoffs from PnR would be his role at UM

For some reason I’m not worried about him going to Kentucky.

He’s not a UK type talent in my view

If we got Bamba but didn’t have someone to be able to run the PnR well with him it would be incredibly frustrating. Hopefully someone can step up next year, regardless of his recruitment.

1 Like

Run it with Mo :joy:

2 Likes

Holy crap yessssss. Point Forward Mo Wagner throwin oops to Mo Bamba. 11/10 do want :joy:

1 Like

If we were more of a transition team, Bambas potential impact would be greater

Have to disagree on Bamba. Think he has Anthony Davis like athleticisim except he has Rudy Gobert like length/size. He has historic defensive anchor potential. Being raw on offense doesn’t concern me and actually makes it easier for a coach/GM to put those skilled, slow-footed hybrid forwards who can’t defend out there for extended minutes.

Ahhhhh, the length word. You guys would get a kick out of us going around and around about it. G’s length is my athleticism lol

Nerlens Noel?

In terms of defensive impact, yes. Definitely an elite defender

I’m sure Sly will like this - now that he’s reclassified to 18 I think Hameir Wright would be a great option at the 4. Really versatile and skilled for a 6’9 guy