ESPN gives Michigan's '13 class an A-

I think a C+ is more than fair. Walton most likely would still be a top 75 player if they did the rankings over again. Irvin??? Not so sure he would be top 100 the season is still not over and if he continued his poor shooting??? Donnal top 250??? Maybe not even that since he finally started making a contribution last year and those minutes from last year have been peeled back more.

1 Like

Iā€™ll refer you to the discussion of Zak in the other thread, in which I was happy to have a reasoned, extended back and forth with Hail about how we should be seeing Zak. Itā€™s really not that hard if you try. Iā€™ll suggest that when youā€™re aligning yourself with Guestavo on constructive, respectful dialog, youā€™re not doing yourself any favors.

As for grading a class of 3 that had;
(1) Walton - PG who was a freshman starter on a B1G champ/E8 team, who played through injuries years 2 and 3 and is going to be All-B1G 1st or second team senior year (and letā€™s see what they do yet in the tourneys),
(2) wing - Zak, see description above, and
(3) big - tough sophomore year, moderately successful junior starter who went for 11 and 5 in B1G play, but inconsistent, and solid back up senior year but lost minutes to better younger player ā€“

ā€“all who graduated and never got in a speck of trouble ā€“

Iā€™d say B+. Go look at all the classes in the B1G that year and see what the success rate is for recruits and recruiting classes. People act like every player in every class should be a future pro.

Gotta go, though, have a good day.

1 Like

Wow, itā€™s crazy how much more pleasant conversations can be when you simply give a counter opinion rather than rant about any criticism of players!

Iā€™m back quicker than I thought. Anyway, when grading the use of a scholarship, giving a guy with Zakā€™s college career a ā€œD+ā€ isnā€™t a serious opinion, itā€™s an insult. Itā€™s not a means to beginning cordial, if contested, conversations.

Yup, any opinion you disagree with is just completely invalid. Good logic, buddy.

Iā€™m not gonna argue against your post because itā€™s your opinion that Zak has played up to his 29th composite ranking, and if those are your standards then whatever. The fact that I hold players more accountable than you doesnā€™t make my viewpoint an insult and not an opinion.

Not any opinion, but some are.

Youā€™re a riot. As much as it deeply, deeply pains me to not have your esteemed seal of approval on my opinionā€™s validity, I think we both know your deep homerisms prevent you from looking at any Michigan player objectively. Even with that being said, I will never tell you that your opinion is invalid, just that you have far different standards than most. Have a great day, and just keep on downing those blue pills.

1 Like

You would honestly give Irvinā€™s career a D+ grade? Maybe the month of February, but his whole career?

Ugh, relative to rankings (he was 29th in the composite), yes. Overall grade as a player Iā€™d go C or C+. Yes, we put him in a position where he had to be the number one scorer and he had obvious limitations, but a 4.5 star wing ideally would be able to handle that by his senior year. Iā€™m really not sure how that take is being declared a trolling insult with no validity. Seems rather tame compared to the majority of people on twitter, MGoBlog, etc.

A Mr. Basketball in the state of Indiana here are some of the most recent winners

Guy
Swanigan
Lyles
Harris
Zeller
DeShaun Thomas
Hulls
Zeller
Gordon
Oden
Zeller
Ratliff
Cage

Where would he rank among those guys? Out of guys in 2013 who had better college career between Irvin/Demetrious Jackson/VJ Beachem??

Iā€™m thinking your beef is more with the ranking (which the player canā€™t control), and maybe our coaching staffā€™s buy-in to that ranking? When you just take Zak as a basketball player, and as a leader on/off the court through the injury/attrition years, heā€™s really had a positive impact on the program and led directly to many big wins. I donā€™t know how to put a grade on that exactly, but I surely think if ā€œCā€ is average, heā€™s been above average.

1 Like

Yeah, I think looking at all 4 years heā€™s been average at best, so there.

For class rating purposes do you consider Duncan Robinson as part of that class? Same situation as Donnal (4th yr with 1 more year of eligibility) ---- although it appears UM will be bringing Robinson back and not Donnal.

Donnal yes (he bogs down the rating as a whole), but not Duncan. Weā€™ll have to see how Duncanā€™s senior year goes but Iā€™m really happy with how heā€™s developing.

In that case, the 3-man class, Iā€™d probably grade a B- w/possibility to grow into a B with a strong next month.

Graded against their HS recruiting rankings, probably a C or C-

A lot of college production from Walton & Irvin, but at best they matched HS rankings. But Walton was a 4yr starter on a team that made the NCAAs in 2 of his first 3 years ā€” and probably 3 of 4 after this season. And Irvin was 3yr starter & 2x team MVP, including on last yearā€™s NCAA Tournament team.

And Donnal produced at a career back-up level, which isnā€™t bad, but doesnā€™t match a borderline Top100 recruiting profile.

1 Like

Grading ā€œagainst HS rankingsā€ when judging whether someone was a good use of a scholarship is weird. If Zak had finished second in Mr. Basketball voting, would he have been a better use of a scholarship? An A is an A, a B is a B, as so on.

Would a Michigan professor say, well, this is a B paper but Iā€™m giving you a C because I expected an A? No. He or she might say Iā€™m giving you a B but thatā€™s disappointing because youā€™re capable of an A.

Same here. We can say with some reasonableness Zak was a B+ or B or, maybe, if youā€™re really down on him, a C+, but thatā€™s disappointing because we were hoping for an A- or better. Think about it reverse, is MAAR an A+ player because he was unranked? A better use of a scholarship because he was a late pick up? No. We can say it was good to get a B+ player (or whatever you want to grade him) late in the cycle, but that doesnā€™t mean heā€™s an A+ college player.

2 Likes