Caris Levert's injury

He doesn’t recruit the black more athletic bigs not saying it’s good or bad but look at the track record .

I agree that we need more athletic bigs. I don’t think color has anything to do with it, and I don’t believe that Beilein prefers white big men.

Didn’t we offer Dorsey-Walker in 12 and that kid from Flint in 2012? We went after Monte Morris the year we landed Walton. It’s not like Beilein is ignoring great instate inner-city talent. The talent level coming from Detroit and Flint has dropped off.

Monte Morris is a lot and I mean a lot better than Derrick Walton. Walton is more along the lines of a supporting player not a take your team on your back kind of guy.

2 Likes

I agree, and I wasn’t arguing otherwise. That wasn’t the consensus at the time, though.

To get back on the actual topic of the thread

1 Like

Let’s cross our fingers and hope we see him this week!!!

Then start playing him. Even 10min on Wednesday.

At this point it feels like the air has went out the balloon. I hope Caris comes back but tis sounds like the boy who cries wolf. Just say he will play the next game or he won’t play.

Part of me hopes he doesn’t play Wednesday. I can only imagine how his teammates would feel 72 hours earlier they were getting their butts kicked up and down the court by their biggest rival. Now their most talented player is suddenly better to help the team. Glad he’s out there against the worst B1G team but couldn’t help against their biggest rival.

Sounds like he’s still a week away.

Sounds like he could maybe play against Purdue.

I had to quit believing bc every time I tune in and he is not dressed it is like a buzz kill.

I hope he comes back to get a wArm up game in tomorrow. He needs to get in shape and get as much plAying time as possible. Plus with the way we’re plAying this game isn’t a gimme on the road.

Also I got drilled hard for complaining about tightening things up in our wins versus Nebraska ect. I was told I was not picking but in reality I saw this possibly coming. To be a good team you need to do the things I talked about in those wins. When you step up to play elite competition you can’t leave behind easy baskets/turn it over, take bad looks/ sloppy execution. Especially when we are poor on d. Very frustrating year. Unlike others I still believe the overall talent is there. Coach b and this team needs to get the most out of its players and win some tough games.

Gut check time.

1 Like

I’d love to see him get at least a little time in this one. Then expand for the Purdue game.

More mixed messages, and sounds like Caris is out for Purdue. Can’t imagine the PR of this situation being handled any worse.

I’m fully in support of Caris doing what is best for Caris, but JB/Team PR has handled this brutally. Expectations management wouldn’t be hard if they just said up front “We aren’t going to discuss the specifics of the injury, and anything is possible from him playing tomorrow to never playing again”. At least that sets the bar that no one can debate. This current handling is not a good look.

2 Likes

Agreed it’s been bad now since Beilein said he has been cleared to play. There’s a difference between being cleared for workouts and being cleared to play, Beilein said the latter. Since Caris isn’t speaking on the matter it’s Beilein’s responsibility to be the spokesperson on the matter and it’s quite clear he isn’t comfortable with that. He’s pretty much trying to distance himself from the situation and putting it on Caris which is a great way to create friction and fractures within the team.

Honestly, this feels like to me like maybe Caris is fine now, but after experiencing whatever injury he had he decided he just didn’t want to risk a serious injury again. So he’s just shutting it down. And now all this nonsensical parading is being done to hide that?

Nothing else makes sense. The injury clearly looked like a mild ankle sprain and then he was able to play through it immediately but not later (aka exactly like a mild ankle sprain). But then we hear all of this non-specific junk about his lower leg and how he’s supposedly been a week away for over a month.