Caris Levert's injury

Why not just say he is out for the rest of the season then? It is ridiculous how many times Beilein has said he anticipates him back. At first it was day-to-day; then two weeks ago after the Penn St game he said the coming week (IU/MSU), and if not, the next (Minn/Purdue). He even reiterated that on Dakich’s radio show. This is probably due to extreme caution from Caris’ camp, but as others have said, this has been terribly mismanaged in the media.

Priority #1 is the student’s health.

After that, it’s a fine line.
a) he’s on scholarship to play basketball. The team needs him as we’re “close” to the bubble
vs
b) his draft stock means a bright future if handled wisely - lots of financial potential

I’m so confused because they are making it seem like he won’t be back but if they were to shut him down they would probably just say so…I’m so lost

I only care about the pr of the situation insofar as it might not be good for Caris. From a fan’s perspective I know all I need to know-- Caris has been cleared by doctor’s and he will play when he feels ready to play. How will we know when he feels ready to play? Answer: when we see him playing. It seems crystal clear to me… I am more worried that, because of the way the information released, Caris might be perceived by nba scouts as overly cautious for his own good. If a player is overly nervous about his own durability then that can’t help his draft stock…Which does make me wonder why JB would say he is cleared to play and it is his decision.

1 Like

Coaches owe media/fan base nothing when it comes to injuries. I don’t expect JB to tell as anything different then he already is doing.

2 Likes

Completely agree that nothing is owed… but in a position that is meant to inspire confidence, saying “its on Caris, and he’s cleared to play”, and then “Its on both me and Caris and he’s not cleared to play” and then getting testy about it just looks like he doesn’t know how to handle himself.

He doesn’t owe anyone a particular style or competency in this area (and it probably wouldn’t be #1 on my list for him to focus on either), but it weakens credibility and confidence, and, by the way, is COMPLETELY avoidable through kindergarten basics of public relations – if he had decided to stick to one message through the process instead of changing it every week, giving/not giving dates, mixing who’s decision it was.

If this was somehow purposeful or strategic, even if it was stringing the fanbase’s emotions along, I’d at least respect that he is a man with a plan. This screams of the opposite which is my main concern.

JB also did say it is just a matter of when he is in game shape. Makes me wonder if there were any sort of set backs.

my thing is if he’s healthy and pain free and he’s choosing not to come back, possibly for the whole year then he’s dead wrong. If he’s in pain and in danger of getting hurt again then by all means sit out. But like I said if he’s pain free and just shutting it down to be safe then I can’t ride with that. Yes his career is number one but if he’s cleared and moving around pain free then I believe he should be out there. They did say he would be back this year on at least one occasion, no? So I have no idea if he is hurting or not, i would like to think he is as he seemed to be a tough kid with high character and heart. I’d like to believe he’d ride if he can.

But you are healthy, your team is teetering, your a senior, you came back your improve your draft stock after getting hurt before and to make a run in the tourney after missing it last yeA, you gotta get out there. If healthy not playing is not the smart move for Caris. It would put everything on his workouts As opposed to coming back and showing scouts he is heAlthy and ready to ball and win. All this makes me believe he had to be hurt still. Otherwise it makes no sense to dit out. It’s way to overly cautious.

Damn I really hoped he’d be back this week at the latest. It’s getting to late for him to come back and get back to 100 and for the team to get the chemistry down and playing with him, roles ect. Damn bad luck.

I said it b4 I think he is done this year. I was hoping to be wrong but to go from day to day to month to month says it all.

I really hope your wrong. I believe with Caris we are a top twenty team. His all around hand is highly missed. Plus rahkman has got to be one of the better six men out there. Man leverts passing, driving, ability to shoot and d up. He’s the .mbest player at many things on the team. Especially dropping dimes. Walton really can work well as more of a two guard/shooter. Although Walton played greAt point guard last game with the ball going through his hands. More of that passing and vision and you gotta think Walton would be a top pg this year and especially for the future.

Any decision on his return should be based on his health and well-being – and I agree that the staff doesn’t owe us any information. That said, I think it would be a shame if he doesn’t play until the post-season and then gets re-integrated in a “do-or-die” situation, with too much on the line – too much pressure and too little preparation. If they can’t ramp him up before the post-season, they should shut him down.

If Caris can’t give the team 15 minutes a night going forward, just hang up his shoes. If it’s truly his decision and he’s afraid of re-injury, he’s mentally out of it. I don’t blame him for whichever direction he chooses to take.

1 Like

He is out shooting right now. Dan D just tweeted it

I can not be any more confused. Yesterday it seemed like he was a month away. Today when asked JB said he is technically a game time decision and when he warms up he will play and now he is warming up…my head hurts lol

Lol. Mental warfare

Couldn’t have said it any better

There’s a difference from being cleared to play to being ready to play. Being in game shape is a big deal. This is conference play, he doesn’t have the luxury of playing himself into game shape the way Zak did.

Still should be able to give 10-15 min a game. They will monitor him closely for fatigue

Full warmups. Well this means that Dakich won’t have to play

Great win much needed. I think Caris is done for good