Caris Levert's injury

This stuff has to stop. You’ve been posting it everywhere and it’s over the top.

It is revealed that LeVert had a jones fracture

Here’s the link:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-nba-prospect-caris-levert-has-in-common-with-kevin-durant-174445976.html

I think the ‘Jones fracture’ diagnosis also helps explain some of the ambiguity at times. Here’s the definition of a Jones fracture:

Jones fracture. Jones fractures occur in a small area of the fifth metatarsal that receives less blood and is therefore more prone to difficulties in healing. A Jones fracture can be either a stress fracture (a tiny hairline break that occurs over time) or an acute (sudden) break. Jones fractures are caused by overuse, repetitive stress, or trauma. They are less common and more difficult to treat than avulsion fractures.

Now obviously the scary part is that he’s had surgery on the same foot three times. Seems like they think there was something odd with how the previous surgeries healed, hence the note in the Yahoo! article about a bigger screw this time.

Obviously there are no guarantees with the healing process but I suspect this causes him to fall to round 2 and there will be some very happy team that takes him that late.

If the Pistons could land a PF/C at #18 and then LeVert as a combo/depth guard off the bench in the 2nd round I’d be ecstatic.

At this point I would be shocked if he went first round. Just too much health risk I think. Does seem like he could be a second round steal though.

Honestly, if you look at it from an objective outside POV, it seems unlikely that Caris will be able to get to a second contract due to his injury. If you break the same foot three years in a row…

Sound familiar?

Kevin Durant revealed he had actually had a second “crack” in his right foot when he underwent a season-ending third surgery last March.

Durant is healthy now and practicing at Team USA’s Las Vegas minicamps, although he skipped Thursday’s scrimmage. But in an enlightening article by Bleacher Report’s Kevin Ding, Durant admitted that his injury last season was even more serious than he or the team disclosed at the time.

When Durant was shut down after the All-Star break after playing only 27 games, the reason given was “signs of regression” in his foot. The team didn’t reveal the second crack at the time. Durant also said that he underwent a controversial procedure one that uses bone graft material not approved by the FDA. The nature of the surgery also required a longer recovery time.

That is scary how similar it is. They don’t call him baby Durant for nothing.

1 Like

2nd round is probably where he lands but I can’t help but feel like GSW would be all about him at the end of the first

I think someone is going to take a flier on Caris LeVert. He has the size and skill to help a team at multiple positions and I can see his body maturing even more. But if he does not go early I hope he slides to the Pistons

I don’t agree, I think his frame is already maxed out and the extra weight probably contributed to the stress fracture.

1 Like

Who’s talking about weight. I’m talking about strength. According to the info up above the injury is a usage type of thing. If you guys want to see the situation as half empty have at it. But I am going to look at it as half full.

1 Like

I don’t think he’ll be around at 49 (which I think is the 2nd rounder).

There’s a real possibility he may not get drafted.

If he plays a single minute in the NBA, he would have earned all 60 of those seconds. The brutal truth is He has a long road ahead of him.

These things don’t always turn out as the sideline savants predict. Hardaway looked like the most limited of UM’s recent NBA entrants to some; Stauskas was going to be great to others. Both are performing somewhat contrary to many peoples’ expectations. Certainly, overcoming doubts about his sturdiness will be an immediate hurdle for Caris. After that, I find it very hard to judge. Sometimes he has looked awfully good\e out there; sometimes he seemed to shrink from the spotlight a little. He’s still pretty young. . .

1 Like

I’m speaking about his injury. He clearly has the talent when he’s healthy to at the very least make a roster.

There’s a small window to prove your worth in the NBA and Caris may miss that because of this foot injury.

Put another 50 games/year on that foot and we’ll see what happens. He’s not going to gain any additional strength without putting on some weight. F = m * A --> increased likelihood of a stress reaction. It would be great if he could stay healthy but it’s a gamble.

That’s a great point bebopson.

Levert doesn’t have the frame to get put on more muscle without putting an enormous amount of stress on his body. Remember, he’s 4 years into a college weight program.

Guys like Durant or even Jamal Crawford (another guy without the frame to get stronger) are good because they are absolutely elite at one or more aspects of the game. That makes up for their slender frames. Levert isn’t even in the ball park of that skill level to make up for his lack of strength.