Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

Good luck to Doyle. It was obvious that he tried very hard in the weight room and he always tried very hard on the court. I appreciated all of his effort! He seemed to have a really good attitude. Great kid! I think if he can work on his leg strength (with less focus on his upper body) and catching of the ball then he can be a good player.

Iā€™m holding out hope that this is just an amazing April fools joke by Spike.

Ur wrong with Doyle leaving that puts us at 13 scholarships right at the limit. Davis is here for good now

I posted this before the Doyle news I was composing the response.

1 Like

Updated scholarship chartā€¦ http://www.umhoops.com/recruiting/scholarship-breakdown/

I guess you meant it nicely when you said Walton ā€œis a PG in label only.ā€

And this is exactly what I mean: ā€œThings are far from fine in regards to roster composition, if it was this team would be playing better basketball.ā€

No, they could have exactly the right balance of PGs, wings, bigs, etc., and still not win because those guys arenā€™t good enough or are too young or get injured or whatever. Nobody is satisfied with the results of the last two years, including the coaches and players, but that doesnā€™t mean that every and all complaint is correct or logical.

Even more than for '16, for which I believe there was a plan in place, the updated chart shows the spots open for '17.

ā€œRicky is a tremendous young man with very high character and plenty of potential to develop into being a fine college player,ā€ said Beilein. ā€œWe have enjoyed coaching him over the past two years and wish him nothing but the best.ā€

ā€œMy time at Michigan has very special to me and my family,ā€ said Doyle. ā€œCoach Beilein took a chance on me and I will forever be grateful for that. It was a difficult decision for me to make, however, I just feel this is the best decision moving forward. I will forever carry a special place in my heart for the Maize and Blue. Go Blue!ā€

Looks like it was mutual. Both classy responses.

1 Like

Most of my view is driven by the opportunity at the 4, but you are correct that its very presumptuous to expect that JB would have thought the same.

I do however think that even throwing him into the mess at 5 would have raised the quality of contribution on court. Less Mo (which was close to zero anyway) isnā€™t my concern, less Doyle (and now his watch is ended) same, Wilson same. Not sure if it would have meant less Donnal, and not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

In short though, I think that viewpoint is more fair than I initially considered if the 4 was never in play.

Just feel like there is another shoe to fall here.

1 Like

I think there are 3 obvious possibilities left and wouldnā€™t be surprised to lose up to two more players.

1 Like

UMHoopsFan,

I didnā€™t find the comment about Walton out of bounds. Walton is a valuable member of the team because he does a handful of things better than almost anyone on the team. He is an amazing rebounder, great at catch and shoot, and one of our better defenders. Someone can simultaneously appreciate what he brings to the table and recognize that he does not consistently execute the plays that you would expect from anyone who is labeled ā€œpoint-guardā€. But, again, he is still valuable to the teamā€¦Given that Albrechtshotfake made the comment within the context of a conversation about roster balance his comment is appropriate and kind of obviously correct to most of the people that follow the team, I think.

Ohio St. is going to lose their entire 2015 class that was ranked 8th in the country.

Right I prefer him off the ball as you pointed to his characteristics more or less describe an off guard. Heā€™s not the strongest finisher inside, heā€™s the quickest guy to get separation from his defender. Who was it Walton couldnā€™t get by against ND Farrell or Ryan? Those same two got exposed by guys like Paige/Pinson on Sunday.

Part of this is because I like MAAR but I am still not sold that he has true PG characteristics, heā€™s showing more than Walton but I am not sure MAAR is a 35 mpg guy. Hence my question about roster composition.

2 Likes

I hear you. There is some real potential at the pg spot but there are also question marks. Potential alone does not inspire me to claim that we have depth at the pg spot.

How many teams in the Big Ten will have more PG depth than Michigan?

You are leaving out a key wordā€¦ ā€œrelativeā€.

The answer to that question largely depends on whether or not you think we for certain have even one player who consistently and effectively executes plays. The worry is multifaceted. Walton has been very inconsistent with the execution of the offense. Walton and X are both tiny. X is in high school. MAAR might not be able to take on that role as a facilitator.

Additionally, and this is my biggest worry in terms of team composition is my belief that we have 3 guards that I considered quick. I am including X. X is small like Walton. X is in high school. If you ask me how many teams only have one quick guard over 6 feet tall then I will say ā€œzeroā€ not including Michigan.

I honestly have no idea what you are even trying to say.

Iā€™m simply asking you what Big Ten teams have more PG depth than Michigan.

I guess my response would be Albrecht 60 minutes this year and Dakich played around 100. So 160 minutes of PG play lost over a 30+ game season. How does Simpson improve the depth when theyā€™re losing 160 minutes? Simpson going to fill in for 5 mpg in 16-17? I am not sure 5 mpg moves the needle on lost playing time. So in other words why didnā€™t Michigan have depth last year but they do this upcoming year?

1 Like