Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

He said “relatively.” Michigan will be deep at pg relative to the last 2 years. And with 13 scholarships, having 2 pgs and a combo guard is a pretty standard situation.

Does anybody know the timeline of spike undergoing double hip surgery and the signing of Davis, X, Ibi, Teske? Also, does anybody know the reasonable timeline for returning after a double hip replacement? My intuition told me it would be insane for Spike to play at all last year but I do not know…It seems foreseeable that Spike would not be able to play out the full year last year, no?

2015 commits (National rank)

SG Austin Grandstaff (No. 41)… Transferred

C Daniel Giddens (No. 43)… Transferring

SF Mickey Mitchell (No. 92)… Rumored as a possible transfer

PG A.J. Harris (No. 103)… Rumored to be transferring.

Ouch.

1 Like

The fact that we have 3 guards that can be can considered quick and one of the three is not out of high school yet is not “standard” no matter how many times it is repeated. If one of the three is injured or if X is not ready things will not look good for this team.

How many point guards should a team carry? Most teams play one pg at a time, but you think we should carry more than 2?

But if you start Walton/MAAR again all you have is a frosh coming in. There isn’t a lot of depth and looking at how they have 6 4’s-5’s on the roster. I would say roster composition especially in the backcourt is still lacking.

1 Like

Reread my comment. We have 3 quick guards and one of them is in high school. That is not normal.

I think we need more wings and perhaps an athletic combo guard (as opposed to all the 5s). But I just don’t see the need for another pg, especially when our 2nd string pg will likely only see 6-10 minutes per game.

Loi’s signed 11/11/2015. A month later Spike “retired”.

Not normal according to whom? MSU’s 2015-16 roster had 1 true pg, 1 combo guard (although McQuaid barely qualifies as such), and 1 Denzel Valentine. Duke had 1 pg and 1 combo guard.

In 2013 and 2014, Michigan had 2 pgs.

They had Nairn as well but he got injured. Next year they still have Nairn-Winston-McQuaid-Harris.

nairn was the 1 true pg.

The roster composition for next year is fine. We have two true PGs and a combo-type guard, plus other ball-handlers. We have at least MAAR, Robinson, Irvin, Dawkins, and Watson who can play wing, and that’s not including guys who could slide down like Chatman. Sure, we may be a little heavy on bigs, but remember that they at least want to get Wilson his minutes at the 4, maybe Wagner too. In the end, you may not like our players, you may think Walton sucks or Spike is better or whatever. But all these complaints are just excuses to bad mouth the players (and the coach, of course), which is par for the course.

Dang. Sounds like Spring Creaning turned into Mopping Matta!

Doyle transferring

1 Like
1 Like

Good luck Ricky

That didn’t take long.

Not a huge surprise, and good luck to Ricky.

Good luck to Ricky was a good kid and just didn’t pan out. Spike did not say that if a scholarship clears he would definitely leave. One more and who knows

Somebody still has to transfer out or Davis ends up going to prep school so before we start saying this guy is here, this guy is there. Let’s see how it plays out first. I am not sure where you get the bad mouthing. Walton didn’t play very well this year and didn’t look good for long stretches, nobody said they suck. These complaints are excuses this is what we are looking at right now. They haven’t won a tournament game for 2 years, unless you want to count Tulsa. Things are far from fine in regards to roster composition, if it was this team would be playing better basketball.