Big Ten Discussion

Minnesota blowing out Maryland on the road and we took them to overtime on their home court, with no help from the officials.
As I said before, Maryland and Northwestern are a little overrated. Also, we are better than our record.

2 Likes

What website has the +/- stat? I can never seem to find it

Minny up to 16 in RPI, 32 in kenpom. Theyā€™re a team Iā€™d like to see in the second round of the B1G tourney, and Iā€™d say MD too although at the Verizon Center that might be a bit less of a neutral court atmosphere.

1 Like

http://www.scacchoops.com/

Thank you sir.

Man are we bad. Just watched the game. Are these guys serious. Lucky to beat a terrible team. Iā€™ve said all year our ball iq sucks. Guys just disappear for long stretches. Dj acts like heā€™s not in the game for long stretches. Why we didnā€™t attack the big guy in Isos relentlessly is beyond me. Zachs decision making is horrendous. He follows up a nice shooting first half with abysmal play.

We just shoot threes non stop with no reason. Wide open lanes and lay ins and we just kick it out. There needs to be more balance . I just donā€™t get these guys. Mentally not there. Belein at times just watches it go too few adjustments. The individual talent is there. More bench minutes please God.

Iā€™m disgusted by that win. Difference between those games and minny/ Iowa is Rutgers canā€™t shoot or play worth a damn. God , these guys just donā€™t have what it takes I guess. They donā€™t play together.

Iā€™m not happy with how we played, but for a while in the second half it seemed like Rutgers hit every jump shot. (We also failed to provide effective help on drives, they scored on like 8/9 possessions at one point).

I guess I just feel like if weā€™re gonna do anything weā€™d win by 12 or 14 in a game like that. While Iā€™m glad we settled down, that game still could have gone their way very easily. All the little things we do poorly just add up. We can never seize control and put teams away when given the chance.

Rutgers has been real competitive in a lot of games this year. Winning on the road is about survival.

Being down four with six minutes to go and finding a way to get a W is satisfying for me. It couldā€™ve went south easily.

If we hadnā€™t missed 18 free throws the last two games combined, weā€™d all be feeling a bit better right now.

3 Likes

Not many have put Rutgers away at home.

Walton might be getting tired. That brief blip of Simpson being able to play 10+ minutes, has reverted back to not being a plus. Rutgers really confused Michigan with their trapping, of course Michigan never looked to attack it they just wanted to get it over halfcourt and then have 18 seconds on the shot clock.

I would say most the 3ā€™s last night were good looks but they absolutely fell in love with those shots without looking to attack the hoop. We will see what happens Saturday the key to beating Purdue is getting out and running especially when Swanigan/Haas are out on the court. Haas always lumbers up the court but teams donā€™t look to capitalize, Penn St really tried to and it had success since they stayed in the game. If Michigan wants to milk clock and be slow against Purdue it probably wonā€™t be successful.

You are talking about a quick turn around trap game with a team that has been a tough out for a lot of teams. The Team is exhausted and they were tired during the Minny game. Depth is not there and you are pointing out some players (the bigs) who are basically going through this type of stretch and learning experience for the first time. Shooting threes is what you have when you have limited amounts of players who can create their own shot or create for others. Also you have tired players. I think next year DJ will be given a chance to create his own and for others in the flow of the offense. The team gutted out a win they needed. That is a good thing.

I was at the game last night. It was plenty loud during Rutgers runs and down the stretch. Louder than crisler by far.

2 Likes

Going to games of the crowd that first made ā€œwine and cheese crowdā€ an actual phrase has made me realize just how awful Crislerā€™s atmosphere is, even for big games. I can think of like 10 games in Beileinā€™s tenure where it has been good (Consistent for an entire game, not just at the biggest moments), and maybe 3-4 where itā€™s been great.

1 Like

Am I missing something on Michigan State/Nebraska tonight? Line has moved from MSU -7 to MSU -4 despite most of the bets on MSU and MSU blew them out the first meeting in Lincoln.

Tim Miles gave an impassioned speech about keeping his job? Thatā€™s gotta be worth three points.

1 Like

Morrows back and Harris injury.

1 Like

Which is why they need to play x, Duncan, and donnall more ,particularly when donnall is actually playing hard for the first time all year and x is ready for 10-15 a game.

I see your points that Rutgers has lost a lot of close games. I think that was the ninth single digit loss in big ten play it said. The fact remains they are 2-13 and not very good. On top of that they actually looked horrible for all but like 7 minutes. My beef was not totally the result but more of how we looked, and how time and time again we didnā€™t seize on opportunities and allowed them to hang around.

That game could have easily have been Minnesota or Iowa all over again. This team is better than that and should have won all three of those had they played well or even average.Iā€™d chalk this as another below average performance by the roster. Had Rutgers played amazing that would be something else. Iā€™m frustrated by their consistency and lack of taking another step. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a tough take on the performance.

Maybe I am just overrating them and this is who they really are but I donā€™t totally buy that. Itā€™s easily one of the best starting 5 in the conference imo and Duncan is a great 6 man. I want them to put it together for this next month and at least lose because they were outplayed instead of laying an egg.

My bias is probably showing, but: it sure seems like Langford isnā€™t a fan of Izzoā€™s in-game coaching (read: screaming) style. Izzo does seem to be in especially rare form this season, though, what with the unfamiliar bubble situation and all. Just cant help but to continue to wonder what could have been; just a dead horse I cant stop beating.

1 Like

Honestly, Tyus Battle looks like the real deal. We hang on to him, and this team has 2-3 more wins imo.

2 Likes