Big Ten Discussion

Purdue scored 1.25 PPP and rebounded 37% of its misses at the Breslin. . https://t.co/LmdPs4pPio

— Dylan Burkhardt (@umhoops) January 25, 2017

Looks like Dylan had a similar opinion…(this was a comment on the same quote)

Meanwhile Izzo gets the rest of the week to get his voice back for the Michigan game. Those refs had better be wearing ear plugs.

3 Likes

Hard to think of places where we’d be more likely to out-foul the opponent, than Breslin and Kohl. The statistically-inclined might call those outliers

2 Likes

Michigan might not get a good whistle in Minneapolis. Gophers have only played 3 home games but lived at the line against MSU/OSU drawing 57 total fouls and going to the line 72 times. The Wisconsin game was 13 fouls for each team.

1 Like

Watched Minnesota/Wisconsin OT game - That was a real barn burner…both teams got after it…Happ impressed…almost everything he got was turning into the middle from the left, and/or, especially, he killed off moves/counters at right side of the rim.

Did anyone else hear Izzo interviewed at half by Molly McGrath? She asked him what he and an official were conversing about at one point. Izzo stated (Isaac Haas) “The big guy travels a lot.” Guess, maybe, not a big deal but seems inappropriate to talk down on an opposing player like that.

Haas has limitations but dang, for as big as he is, he can move pretty well…often has a soft touch…

Swanigan and Ward ran into each other quite a bit last night…—Godzilla vs Mothra—…

MSU can be really good for stretches of time but they also present a lack of being able to sustain it.

On the other hand, Purdue’s Dakota Mathias impresses with his own brand of steady…

Always planting those seeds in the refs’ minds. To Izzo, the refs can’t possible call every foul State commits, and for the fouls they do dare to whistle he’s gonna make sure that MSU gets some make up calls, preferably on certain players who give them a tough matchup. For a younger player on the opposition, a key travel or carry(!) call can get them rattled and turn the tide of the contest.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Breslin.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll be willing to bet Wagner either is whistled for multiple travels or multiple personal fouls in the first 5 minutes at the Bres Sunday

2 Likes

CHUCKLE - We all know that’s likely true…

3 Likes

Been there done that, right?

Also, a tried and true method…he learned at the feet of a master of that strategy - Jud Heathcoate…

1 Like

That is hilarious. Haas was called for a travel on a move that Ward employs constantly. The move is an obvious travel but Ward never seems to get called on it. Never.

3 Likes

General question: Are refs required to review the games after they ref? I have to believe an honest ref would feel embarrassed after seeing how many fouls they missed In the average MSU game.

1 Like

I assume the league’s head of officials does that and makes observations & recommendations.

State missing the tourney means nothing if we miss it as well. We have to capitalize on them being down this year and it starts with these next two games against them

2 Likes

He’s like Coach K - his team gets 90% of the close calls and he whines incessantly about the 10% he doesn’t get.

1 Like

That was my exact reaction, both after seeing Haas get called and after Izzo complained. Ward has quick feet and great body control, no doubt. But his spin move is 2 steps + a serious shuffle, every time.

1 Like

He’s pressing his advantage and it would be hard to fault him for it. . . if he were our coach.

1 Like

Absolutely, that’s just the dichotomy: sparty fans get to love it, and we get to hate it. Harbaugh really put that kind of stuff into perspective

1 Like

OSU didn’t look great and let Minnesota back in, but took care of business at home.

Illinois blitzing Iowa at the State Farm Center. Illini are a different team at home.

Gophers have now dropped 4 straight and the next two aren’t straight forward either – Maryland at home and at Illinois. I know they have a lot of home games down the stretch, but they are going to need them.

Illinois does seem to flip the switch at home, but undoubtedly Iowa is also different with a banged up Peter Jok.

1 Like

This shocked me. But then I looked up their percentages and Bridges is making 42% of his threes