Big Ten Discussion

Watched the whole game through and man, Northwestern is really not good. Also, because it was a point of conversation earlier in this thread, Dakich was legitimately very competent on the court yesterday. He looked like he totally belonged and had a good understanding of how to beat N’Western’s zone. Holtmann clearly trusts him and he even hit a couple open threes.

2 Likes

FWIW… Here’s a snapshot of the league. Efficiency margin is in parenthesis for each team. Right now it is clearly a two team race.

Best hope for a 5th NCAA team is Maryland figuring out how to play defense IMO.

Some stuff is just disappointing… Like Penn State at 3-4… and hasn’t played one of the top 4 teams in the league. IU still has 5 games against top-4 teams…

1 Like

And the ref was right there. There is no way a competent official could have missed that call. Ahhhh, but there’s the rub. B1G officiating can sometimes be a bit inconsistent, and sometimes downright mind boggling!

1 Like

Should have gone with the Scarlet Knights. 18-10.

Nebraska +5 (-120) and Maryland -7 (-120) tonight.

Dylan, when we get through the weekend we will be at the half way point of the B1G season. Time permitting, I would love to see you do a mid season all B1G team, first and second team, poy, defensive poy, all freshman team and coy. Just a suggestion.

1 Like

Good idea, I’ll try to put together some sort of mid-point check in.

6 Likes

Big Ten…Preseason

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/big-ten-preseason-media-basketball-poll.207041/

1. Michigan State - 28
  2. Purdue - 80
  3. Minnesota - 90
  4. Northwestern - 115
    5t. Maryland - 155
    5t. Michigan - 155
  5. Wisconsin - 168
  6. Iowa - 204
  7. Indiana - 270
  8. Penn State - 280
  9. Ohio State - 314
  10. Illinois - 315
  11. Nebraska - 362
  12. Rutgers - 376

Player of the Year
Miles Bridges, Michigan State (unanimous)

Rookie of the Year
Jaren Jackson Jr., Michigan State (13)
Bruno Fernando, Minnesota (1)

First Team All-Big Ten
Miles Bridges, Michigan State (28)*
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin (28)*
Moritz Wagner, Michigan (20)
Nate Mason, Minnesota (19)
Bryant McIntosh, Northwestern (18)

• = Unanimous selection

Also Receiving Votes
Vincent Edwards, Purdue (12)
Amir Coffey, Minnesota (2)
Nick Ward, Michigan State (2)
Carsen Edwards, Purdue (1)
Jae’Sean Tate, Ohio State (1)
Isaac Haas, Purdue (1)
Jordan Muprhy, Minnesota (1)

I voted in this… I don’t think my ballot is holding up much better.

2 Likes

Booo on the Nebraska pick, but I think I agree with you. Staying far away from the Minn-MD game.

Yea, I saw that…lots of injuries this year.

Never thought he’d get a second of NBA run.

1 Like

Nebraska has single plays against Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and Maryland. Makes Monday’s game at Ohio State critical for their NCAA hopes. Buckeyes on a short turnaround after Saturday game in NYC.

20-10.

MSU -15.5 tonight.

Just took a look at OSU’s upcoming schedule. They are about to do a 3 games-in-one-week stretch, but the difference between their’s and UM’s is that their’s happens amidst a 5 game home stretch. 5 home games in a row in conference is ludicrous to me. After briefly looking at UM, MSU and PU’s schedules, none have more than 2 home games in a row in conference. What gives?

2 Likes

Watching MSU-Indiana, 2 thoughts:

1. What in the world was MSU thinking with black/neon green uniforms?

2. Indiana is playing one of the worst games I remember seeing from a high major team. Numerous bricked shots off of the backboard and air balls, random ass turnovers galore, no defense whatsoever…

This was kind of us last night too for a 10-15 minute stretch :pensive:

1 Like

It’s only 4 home games. The game against Minnesota is a Gopher “home game” at Madison Square Garden.

Still, 4 home games in a row seems like an unjustifiable advantage.

2 Likes

Gee, I wonder who has more alums in the area and who will travel better during this season. It’s essentially 5 home games with a little extra travel.

Poor Underwood. Kind of tough to win when the previous coach didn’t leave you good players isn’t it?

You’re winless in arguably the worst Big Ten in a long time. Doesn’t instill much faith for Illini fans. Maybe they’ll get lucky and he abandons them after one year.

I would not say they are good whatsoever, however they have enough guys to win some games IMO. Finke, Jordan, Black have been around the block and Alstork has some talent. Pretty disappointing seeing how bad they have been this year. Definitely could be scary for UM and the rest of the B1G in years to come Underwood is the man for the job.