Big Ten Discussion

Geez, was just watching SportsCenter. Caleb Swanigan is in the G League? I had no idea…

Young players can be sent to the G League while still being under contract. The Pistons like to send their young players who aren’t playing down to play a single game and then come back to the team immediately after.

1 Like

If they have the players to win a few games, means poor coaching doesn’t it?

21-10.

Purdue -11.5

Amir Coffey back for Minnesota today.

We have 10 games remaining, including one each against Purdue and OSU who are both 7-0. However, none of the other teams have a winning record (Maryland is the best at 4-4) and are a combined 18-33. Half of the games are at home. That is certainly an opportunistic schedule that could lead to 11-7 or better.
For perspective, our 5-3 record is against teams with a combined 30-27 record, with wins against teams that are 14-22.

Speaking of your post, has Michigan had the toughest conference schedule so far?

As you called out, they’ve played every one of the top teams. Only two against the bottom of the standings.

This Purdue team is scary good

Purdue being this good isn’t that surprising but I can’t believe how good OSU is playing. It’s quite possible both OSU and Purdue could be 12-0 when they play on Feb 7. In looking at those two plus MSU, they are all winning by much more comfortable margins than we are. We obviously beat MSU and were right there against Purdue and OSU but we have had much more difficulty pulling away from the other conf teams unlike Purdue, OSU and MSU for the most part.

Would be nice to see us put together a complete game tomorrow and then against some of the lesser teams in the conference but maybe we aren’t at that level.

Yep. Hinted at this in my recap… but Purdue/OSU are a tier above the rest of the league and Michigan State (despite the H2H loss at their place) is more impressive from the efficiency numbers. Michigan has been grinding in every game.

I’d puke every time I signed McCaffreys paycheck if I was the Iowa AD.

That’s ridiculous. Five consecutive home games in conference play? Horrible scheduling by the league.

They only play 4 home games in a row FWIW. Not sure where 5 came from.

Still, though, four in a row is crazy. There’s an even number of teams; it shouldn’t be that hard to have teams on an alternate home/road cycle. I can see having the occasional little glitch that leads to two home games, but how do you get four?

3rd toughest, after Rutgers and Maryland, according to KenPom.

1 Like

Thanks for answering. Sure seemed like it and that confirms it. Bodes well moving forward.

1 Like

Not only OSU but look at Northwestern. They play 5 of their next 6 on the road!

1 Like

And Rutgers is really only ahead of us because they dont get to play themselves. I think @umhoops had a post on here or the Athletic that showed the kenpom (or torivik) SOS after the MSU game, and the remaining sos, and Michigan was top 4 in both.

Echoing what we all felt, I thought this was a great tweet to put things in perspective:

6 Likes