Big Ten Discussion

Don’t sell yourself short… you are 17-10 by my count! Were 16-7, then went 0-3 on Monday, but won last night with the Wisconsin pick.

3 Likes

Must have misread looking back up through the thread. :+1:

Not all gloom and doom. You were spot on about Haas

1 Like

The reason Purdue is so good is because of you sell out to stop Haas, they put 14-of-22 threes on you and blow you out.

5 Likes

It’s going to be so interesting to see what Purdue will be like, next year; it’ll be interesting to compare their 2018-19 to Wisconsin’s 17-18 after losing Hayes, Koenig, Showalter, and Vitto Brown, except Purdue’s group of seniors are way better.

The good thing about losing your whole team to graduation (Purdue/Wisconsin) rather than to the NBA (Trey, Tim, McGary, Nik after 2012-13) is that the next guys up should consist of some seniors and juniors, rather than all sophomores and freshmen.

1 Like

And while PU has been shooting so well it’s probably unsustainable, it’s not like they’re just getting lucky. They have 4 senior career 40% 3pt shooters – plus Carsen Edwards. Combine that with Haas and Haarms and a Matt Painter defense and you’ve got something pretty good. You worry a bit about them getting “out-talented” at some point, but that’s a team that should do well going forward.

Except that it has been a long time since they have done well in the tournament.

They made it to the Sweet 16 last year (and 3 of the last 9). Each time they’ve made it that far they’ve lost to a 1-seed, which might speak to the talent issue. But they don’t seem to have great tournament success overall – although people said the same thing about Bo Ryan for a while. I think if they can grab a 1 or 2 seed they’ll have a good chance of doing well this year, but until they do those doubts will remain.

1 Like

I’d love to see OSU lose - would love it - and I guess the fear would be that this is a last stand game for NW, but that is a pretty darn attractive line…

Making a run in the tourney takes a lot of luck.

Bates-Diop is a load, very, very talented kid. We recruited him but he decided to go with Matta. I’m glad the kid has turned it around under Holtman. After last year he deserves to have a great year! I just hope he has an off game against us in Ann Arbor. Obviously, I’m thrilled for Andrew, because, well, everyone knows I’m related to him! NOT. He’s a good kid, living the dream. Good for him!

2 Likes

Man does Iowa blow.

They just missed a call in the NW-OSU game that was flat out insane. Law drives baseline, probably has the step he needs to even throw down a dunk. The defender hip checks Law so that Law goes from a straight line path to the hoop to falling out of bounds and having to throw a desperation pass back into traffic where it’s intercepted.

How do you miss a call like that? I get that refereeing is hard - but how do you not notice that the dribbler is suddenly flying out of bounds? That’s as bad a call (or a no call, I guess) as I’ve seen all year.

Wow, there is no one at that game. They had a hard enough time filling up Welsh-Ryan. What a buzzkill to play in that cavernous place.

The arena move would have been a great piece of an under bet on NW’s total wins this year or wins in conference.

Yeah, it’s making more sense now why they’ve been such a disappointment.

Watching them the last few games, it goes so far beyond that, but, yes, that definitely did not help.

Before this season I would have bought a lot of Chris Collins stock too

I would have gladly sold it to you. Was not sold on Northwestern at all.

2 Likes

And… that’s what I don’t miss about gambling. OSU turning it over late and suddenly that -3 line was looking dicey!

I thought that line was practically free money but I would have been sweating hard if I had money riding on it, lol.

1 Like