2018 Recruiting Notes

Oops. I knew I had seen his name somewhere but I guess that must have been when he committed to MSU. Thanks.

He hasnā€™t heard from a member of the Michigan coaching staff in months. I really wish weā€™d pursue this kid.

Kevin Easley decommits from VCU. Probably still out on him, but curious if it is opening of slots elsewhere or something elseā€¦

Donā€™t think anything has happened in the last year that has made him a take. I assume the move has to do with the VCU coaching change.

Anybody from Arizona on the board? A friendā€™s brother ran into Beilein at the airport, thought he was traveling alone.

Think he would have been out there for the final four, only player off the top of the head would be Josh Green in the 19 class. Very well could be others.

Maybe so, he could have just hung around an extra day.

Probably working the room, just in case he gets canned. :wink:

3 Likes
1 Like

I think this is an important one to track this spring and summer:

1 Like

I assume it is either Nance or Hunter at the 4 position in 18? Going to be an important recruit as it is looking less likely we will have DJ. Also someone mentioned it previously but does the staff start looking at a 5 in 18 in case Mo isnā€™t around either?

Typically Beilein likes to have 3 options who can defend at the ā€œ5ā€ spot. With Teske/Davis both entering '18-19 as 3rd year student-athletes, a big wing (like a DJ Wilson or Deshawn Sims or Mo Taylor) would likely suffice in that role.

If Pete Nance plays anything like his brother and father, then he would fit the bill. If Michigan brings in more of a Zak Irvin, Charles Matthews type on the wing, then a 3rd Center is probably needed?

Iā€™m not sure Hunter is a 4. If he and Livers were to end up starting down the road, Hunter could end up the 3, no?

On offense, thereā€™s very little difference between the 3/4 positions. So yeah, if Hunter proves an effective defender of wings, he would absolutely have a shot at starting at the 3 next to Livers.

2 Likes

With Johns potentially making a summer decision, it will be interesting to watch which 4 we land, Johns or Nance. Nance should be on campus this spring/summer.

But yes, Hunter is unquestionably more of a true wing 3 then a stretch 4 type guarding other 4ā€™s. Could play it in a pinch ala Irvin but Iā€™d rather have a bigger body there. I donā€™t think taking one of Johns or Nance eliminates Hunter.

1 Like

Havenā€™t heard much about Johns latelyā€¦is the interest still pretty legitimate (from both sides)?

Yes. As far as everyone knows

I know some board members who havenā€™t been on in a while were not high on Johns. Their critiques seem to have been ahead of the curve on the downward trend in Johns rankings (and standing with Team USA junior teams).

Long winded way of saying, I think it is fair to wonder if the staff is prioritizing Johns as much as it was in September/October or if Nance, Hunter, Carmody, Ryan and others have become higher priorities for the 2 remaining scholarships the Staff currently has for the Class of '18.

Lots of upstate ny wings reclassified to 2018 this last month. The city rocks are going to be an aau team to watch. Should be very good. Guys that were nice 17 recruits 3 star types are suddenly top 100 caliber 4 star guys. Iā€™d love for us to reach out to some.

Dominic Welch from buffalo is very very good. He somehow was lightly recruited in 17 class but as18 heā€™s atop 25 ranked wing all day. All time leading scorer in Buffalo history. Naz Carter too. Decommitted from Dayton then reclassified. He might be a Hoosier for sure in 18 though as he gets the year to clean up his game. Amazing athlete but skill level needs improvement. Still as an 18 heā€™s got enormous potential. Both those guys have more upside than the wings were recruiting outside of hunter

Then jeenathan Williams staying strong. Just got cuse offer. Iā€™d take Williams over Ryan or carmody. Heā€™s the perfect back up plan for hunter to me. Theyā€™d fill the same roll in the class. Both athletic wings who could rebound and moonlight at the 4.