2018 Recruiting Notes

By 2018? I expect Jordan Poole will be able to shoot, handle and pass by then.

Sure, you hope JP can do those things but it is far from a sure thing.

We obviously have to wait and see but I would say Poole is the guy we recruited to be able to handle these concerns. We need another 1 or 2 more that can as well. But Poole already has the reputation of one of the best shooters in the class and has shown passing flash, albeit out of control often. I just donā€™t think itā€™s concrete enough to say ā€œthere is not one wing on the roster we can count on to shoot, handle and passā€. Iā€™d say a lot of people ā€œhopeā€ CM can cover these areas. I more than hope, I expect JP to.

I think it is concrete at the given moment but can change due to development though that development should not be assumed when recruiting 2018 right now

I donā€™t agree. I have full confidence Wilson will be able to do all three.

Thats perfectly fine. If DJ becomes a handler, a shooter off the dribble and passer then heā€™ll be in contention for a lottery pick whenever. I hope that happens but that seems incredibly optimistic.

I would more say incredibly realistic and itā€™s one of those things that time will tell on. No need to try to win that discussion today.
I donā€™t foresee Wilson as a lottery pick but I donā€™t think dynamic college players is a subset limited to lottery picks

Posters are discussing a 2018 recruit because they value eachothers opinion. If that bothers you you probably should quit the Internet.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t see any opinions on Jerome Hunter. All I saw were multiple post trying to interpret a post by Brian Snow that is ultimately inconsequential

And no thank you, iā€™ll keep voicing my opinions and displeasures as I see fit.

Relevant discussion that many of us like

3 Likes

I like hunter. Letā€™s just add hunter and Williams and do this.

Also Iā€™m going to see Isaiah Stewart again tonight against a solid bishop Kearney team with 2017 Dayton signee naz Carter. Should be fun

Wing talent should be priority #1 inā€™18, but to say any other position is inconsequential is wrong nor makes any kind of sense when commenting on a future roster of players.

Brooks, Poole and a 3rd year Simpson (in '18) will be responsible for handling, passing out of the pick n roll, or through penetration. We have Poole and Mathews on the wing for the next 3 years, DJ presumably for the next 2 years as the starters. Who knows what Watson provides. Some set shooting in the corners at the least?

Brooks and Poole are supposed to be able to shoot off the dribble (which they exhibit as recruits), pass and handle the ball, some on the high pick n rolls. Both are more then capable of that. Both have twice the ball skills of say, an Irvin, who has next to none. Probably even MAAR who is all straight line. Brooks as a combo, maybe some time behind XS at PG. Poole could start from day 1 (or more realistically 1-2 months into season) at the 2. Mathews can handle, penetrate and finish. Not really sure what youā€™re getting at here. Of course we need some wings, but its not like its a desperate situation. We have talent coming in and by '18 will be seasoned talent.

Im more worried about the depth behind Wagner (God forbid he leaves).

1 Like

Assuming next year we have Wagner, Teske and Davis at the 5, I think we will be stronger there than we are this year. Not worried.

Meant more in terms of the future. For the sake of argument, if Wagner is here for one more year, Iā€™m not sold on Teske or Davis being starters for a B1G championship run. Would just want more talent there. I like the talent on the wings we have for the next 2-3 years.

Brooks has better ball skills than Irvin? not sure I buy that. Simpson and Brooks arenā€™t wings so them handling is irrelevant to the necessity of wings.
Matthews can handle? not really sure that if we are talking about creativity and not straight line slashing
And I notice you donā€™t see any Trey, Nik, Caris or even Derrick type talents in that group. Didnā€™t really see anything about volume scoring, either. Also, I feel more confident in Teske than I do any of the guys you listed* outside of Matthews* to be productive next year.

You feel better about Teske then Poole? Idk, man. I donā€™t not like Teske, just want more.

Irvin, to me, has zero ball skills. Heā€™s a walking turnover at the 3. Mathews is a guarantee upgrade.

My contention is that while overall perimeter shooting is down, the future of this team is and should be penetrate and finish, or kick. We havenā€™t been able to accomplish that recently.

Simpson, MAAR, Mathews are not pure shooters. Poole and Brooks will be, or at least thats the hope.
I donā€™t think this team will be dependent on the 3 as in the past because they wonā€™t be as triggered to feature it. To me, thats when we have the most success. Simpson should be able to penetrate, same with MAAR, Poole and Mathews. The kick outs will be to Wilson (Who can also get by his man at times), Poole, Brooks ectā€¦

This is my take exactly. Well-said. Iā€™m less high on Brooks, not sure Iā€™d say he has more ball skills than Irvin but Iā€™m probably even higher on Poole, absolutely love the kid and think his skill set is absolutely perfect for JBā€™s system and even more so perfect for a roster composed mostly of talented bigs and slashers.

Just donā€™t agree. CM doesnā€™t show anything as a ballhandler that makes me think he is better than Irvin. No hesitations, no crossovers, no step backs, head fakes and nods and doesnā€™t change gears. He is a better athlete so that will help but I donā€™t see some advanced handler.

And yes, I feel better about Teske next year than Poole. I donā€™t see Poole getting to the rim with regularly next year with that frame and I havenā€™t seen anything out MAAR or CM that makes me think they have the vision for drive and dish.

I also feel better about teske than Poole. I think we got a solid big in Jon. I actually think heā€™d be decent this year with more time. Jordan will have a hard time adjusting imo

1 Like

Poole dosent need to get to the rim. I donā€™t think that will be his job, especially next year. We have CM, MAAR, XS, DJ ect for that. If Poole can work the high pick n roll a bit and be a spot up shooter, heā€™ll have a successful freshman year. Remember Stu as a freshman? Thats what I think JP might resemble with a bit more passing ability, especially on the break.

Weā€™ll see on Matthews. I think his athleticism and ability to get to the rim will open everything up for Duncan, Poole, DJ and maybe even Brooks on the outside. I have no clue how he is as a passer but heā€™ll be an upgrade from Zak in rebounding, scoring, perimeter D and finishing ability.