2018 Recruiting Notes

Any new info in regards to Mathews and his development? The reason why I ask as it sure seems most of us are really counting on him to make a major contribution next year.

In regards to other 2017 recruits, any news on Bamba? Or any new targets worthy of note? Potential grad transfers worthy of note that could fill the wing?

At least it sounds like JB will be on the road Friday night.

Rewatching Jamal Bieniemy’s HUDL footage and I think he should be the #1 target in 2018. Ryan is a better shooter with a little more verticality but Bieniemy’s change of direction off the bounce, passing ability and length are insane. If the team could somehow get Elliot and Bieniemy…I’d bet heavy money on a B1G title within a couple of years.

1 Like

Agreed on him being number 1 target, You hit the nail on the head with the change in direction comment. We desperately need some who can create with the ball besides on poor close outs and straight line drives, ideally two wings. Elliott possess this as well, correct? If we don’t get Elliott hope the staff can get two wings, Jamal and another more physical wing like Carmody or Boyd but those are big ifs.

ESPN Top 60 for 2018 Updated

Of Note:

Brandon Johns drops to 44

Cormac Ryan #56

Jerome Hunter - remains 4 star, but not in top 60

David DeJulius - remains 4 star, but not in top 60

Robby Carmody - remains 4 star, but not in top 60

Tim Finke (John Miller says UM has contacted) - drops out of top 60, still a 4 star

This list will expand to 100 in the spring/summer once AAU season commences

Was pretty clear that Easley was never getting an offer but for closure he’s off to VCU.

https://t.co/bvZHKZUDFX

When I saw him in late September Michigan was still contacting him (according to him anyway), but it was pretty obvious he had moved on and knew he wasn’t going to get an offer. Size was the big issue for the staff, which is kind of odd.

Yup, Greg changes speeds fairly well and can get to his pull up. Him and Bieniemy would be great with all the shooting already in the roster. Probably only take one wing if Ibi is on the roster.

Didn’t Easley have IU and PU offers at one point? Did they back off? Going to be interested to watch him and wish him the best. Wonder if the early hype ended up torpedoing his recruitment a bit. Seemed plenty good to find a place in the B1G, especially for a team like Iowa or NU, but maybe he wanted to get away.

I really am warming up to the idea of CM as a small ball 4 and forgoing a 4 man in 2018. Has the dog mentality, length and wiry strength plus Zak and DR manned that position so wouldn’t be too bad. Also probably the biggest offensive mismatch for him. Too many great guards to settle and take a rotation guy at the forward slot. Thoughts?

Do you think DJ Wilson won’t be here in 2018?

I agree and Wilson/Livers will be a fine 4 duo.

Get the wings

1 Like

DJ will be a senior and I assume the staff will want more than just Livers as depth at the 4 in 2019. Rather than add Johns or whatever, slide CM down and try to get two much better players than Johns at the guard slots : Ryan, Elliott, Bienemy, etc.

I’d envision returning guys heading into 2019:

X/Eli/Dave
Poole/guard 1
guard 2/Ibi
CM/Livers
Teske/Davis

grab a 4 and center in 2019

My exact thoughts as a half decent 4 isnt going to come here with Livers and DJ ahead of him especially since DJ is already playing high 30 min. Actually exciting to think what he looks like 2 years from now. Maybe you take a super athletic guy who needs time but doubtful there. We would need a solid PF in 19 as well.

Also we need playmaking so adding a couple pieces there would be ideal, hoping JB steps outside his box and picks up a more sturdy wing who does damage at the rim.

1 Like

Dave would be returning in 19 as well, would be a logjam from the 1 to 3 but I’m alright with that.

1 Like

Yup going to be a logjam with 13 scholarships so might as well be at the spots with abundant talent to recruit. I see a transfer or 2 anyways.

Okay, I see what you’re saying. I agree in that I don’t think we need necessarily need a 4 for '19 if we have Matthews and Livers. But you’d be a pretty small team and really counting on no 4s or 5s going down and going forward, if you don’t take any more 4s or 5s in '17 or '18, you are setting the team to be pretty small in '19 and '20, especially in terms of experienced guys. As you say, you could grab guys in '19, but bigs sometimes take time to develop, as we’ve seen from our guys.

Brooks, Poole, Dejulius, Livers, and two more wings/guards would be a pretty undersized two-year haul. I wouldn’t necessarily be against it if you thought the players at the guard/wings were significantly better than the bigger players, but there would have to be a big difference.

3 Likes

I’m assuming they redshirt Davis and I’d think a year is enough for whatever center and 4 to be a rotation guy in 20’. I can’t really think of any centers that JB could get in on in 2018 that are of the same caliber of talent as the guards he is recruiting. Think there is a talent gap with Johns, too.

I assume transfers will happen at the guard/wing slots too to add another big.

Since coach arrived our best teams were filled with multiple options could run the PNR, beat their man off the dribble and pull up and hit the 3ball. Think about it there were times when Burke, Nik and Caris were on the court at the same time and they could all do any of the above. Not to mention Nik and Caris had very nice length to finish in traffic.

A concern going forward is who has the ball skills to penetrate and hit the 3? I don’t see X as that player right now, so does he get fewer minutes next year with the arrival of Poole and Brooks?

X isn’t going to get fewer minutes next year after Walton graduates.

3 Likes