2018 Recruiting Notes

Not a great ball handler, but average/above average. But the more athletic you are the less ball handling ability is necessary. Good passer off the dribble

Not to mention Slater really defends. Not even JB could handcuff him in that regard.

Hereā€™s the lovely part, staff fell in love with Slaterā€™s AAU teammate Jalen Smith, Who is essentially a poor manā€™s Mo Bamba. Iā€™d kill to have that package but the likelihood of that happening is slim to none

Iā€™ll find out when I see him next. Wed/Thur night. As far as I know, heā€™ll be on the same team again.

Iā€™m obviously not privy to Timā€™s recruitment, but his physical dimensions and skillset seem like a good fit for Notre Dame to me.

1 Like

Slaterā€™s rivals page has us on his list, not sure how old or if it is accurate. Sad to say but he might be playing to well for us to have a realistic chance. Been getting a lot of pub recently.

Warriors-Cavs game is a blowout so decided to do a quick search of Rivals top 150 to come up with some potential realistic wing options in 18. Some have been briefly mentioned before and then a few others that donā€™t have the blue bloods after them but maybe worth a look. Just bored and wanted to throw some names out there.

Have seen us mentioned to have had at least contact with this group at some point.
Antwann Jones
David Singleton
Musa Jallow
Jamal Bieniemy
Isisah Mucius
AJ Reeves
Jacobi Gordon

No real connection to us but in that 30 to 150 range
Talen Horton-Tucker- from Chicago (Donlon)
Will Richardson- high academic kid from the south
Jeenathan Williams- in there for sly but looks good
Keyontae Johnson- at IMG, athletic with no big offers
Kiyon Boyd- Matt has mentioned multiple times
Jules Bernard- top 50 kid from Darius Morris old school and lists Harvard
Jaylen Hoard- highest rated kid from France so no regional connections.

love his game and physical tools

Jeenathans recruitment is slow. He got suckered into playing some crappy silver league Adidas aau two years ago or some of last year becausetge guy who runs it is a local legend pretty much. Probably did out of respect to the og. Heā€™s super loyal to a fault possibly. Trying to move this team up. As soon as he jumped over to city rocks he was the best player on that team / age group. He started to get seen more and he jumped as high as eighty at one point Iā€™m pretty sure on one site in 2018 rankings. All within a few months. Kid is very strong, athletic, tough, and has nice handles. Heā€™s a great slasher and finisher and loves the mid range pull up. Very tough to stop at 6-5, 6-6. Def not 6-7 as his recruiting video lists last summer unless he grew this year. He has no right hand though it seems which is odd ( lefty obviously) you figure for being so good and at that level heā€™d have one or be working day and night on one. He has nice spin moves and fakes but he ALWAYS comes back left. A whole lot of talk for a kid were not involved in Iā€™m sorry but like mattd and his local kids heā€™s tight with ID love to see both my home town and favorite sports team combine for success. out of his offers so far I feel like wed have to stand out and be a leader. Thatā€™s what interests me more. Heā€™s exactly what we need as s 2018 wing. Give me jeenathsn all day over Ryan or carmody. Iā€™m biased , but from what Iā€™ve seen Iā€™m serious. Hed bully/ blow by either of them. Way less comp right now too for his services. Hop in and put the press on. Top offers are like g tech, St. Louis, temple, providence ect. I think weā€™d be out in front in terms of prestige.

And the kid who does list us in rivals, the 2019? Isaiah Stewart? Forget about it, kids been hurt all year but will be back on feb 1st they say. that kid is a program changer like Thomas Bryant was out of Rochester. To be that strong and athletic at 14 now 15 is scary . His film as a 14 year old he just is so physical and tough and a nice athlete with solid skill and nice weak side d/ timing on blocks. Heā€™s got an amazing high school coach too who will improve his whole game. Iā€™m predicting he plays really well in the eybl as a 15 year old. He goes to my uncles alma mater so Iā€™m gonna try and talk to him and figure out how serous he is/ who contacted him. My guess is they saw him with Mahoney and were like wow, your his old? Here sign this.

Only seen video but agreed. Really hope we have stayed in touch its him. From Texas but no real big offers so good time to jump in.

Any thoughts on any of the other guys that I listed if you have seen them live or video?

1 Like

Havenā€™t seen majority of that list and doubtful the staff gets involved with any of them.

Skilled big, MattD had mentioned Michigan wasnā€™t trending well with Hunter. Assumed it was due to us potentially taking two wings as DJ should still be around in 18 and will take most of the mins at the 4 along with Livers but must still have some interest in Trevion.

Having just spoke to Mike Faletti (Mustangs coach) last Saturday, I wouldnā€™t get my hopes up on Trevion any time soon.

Thanks Matt, remember you saying that previously. Found it curious that we were watching him, Iā€™m sure a lot will shakedown over the next 2 months but 18 is a huge class as we will need playmakers.

1 Like

http://endlessmotor.net/2016/07/30/getting-to-know-jamal-bieniemy/

He looks very good on film. Hereā€™s a quick clip of a few plays from this year.

Crafty with the ball, good athlete, a lot of his production in transition, good passing numbers.

Hope we get after him hard as the exact type of wing we could use, pair him with another wing similar to Carmody and that is a good 18 class.

Said this when there was initial contact made last summer but he reminds me of LeVert.

Hope the staff gets this one right, have been curious who will be the next 18 target to get an offer but who knows. Recruiting news get so quiet during the season.