2018 Recruiting Notes

Seems like my two points got confused there. And I’m a fan of Vince Edwards so don’t get me wrong.

But the question with Easley is that he physically matured early and dominated everyone as an 8th/9th grader. Now he’s not as physically dominant and is working to transform the skill element of his game. Players that peak early like that can be a bit of a risk because it is sometimes hard to guess how they end up.

Maybe I’m confusing things now. I was simply saying that part of the reason Edwards wasn’t ranked higher was his tweener status (by the sites and I’m guessing by the coaches), and in that way too Easley reminds me of him. I don’t worry that much about the tweener issue for UM.

And it is a bit of a risk re guys that mature earlier, but at this point that issue has somewhat been ameliorated. It’s not like Easley is particularly old for his class. He was born 12/99 (man, do I feel old), same as Johns, both a few months younger than Finke, etc. Most of his class is not going to grow another four inches anymore.

And it’s very possible our coaches told him this. Let’s see how you do in July and go from there. If he responds well, shows he’s got drive, etc.

Based on the limited film I’ve seen, I agree with Johns being the priority and giving him a first chance to commit. I like Easley’s toughness (grabbing boards and seeking contact) but Johns seems to have a smoother game, better finishing ability, better handles, and overall more athletic upside. But I haven’t seen much of either. I don’t think there’s a need for both, especially if they land a Young type in 17.

I agree with most that Johns looks to be the better prospect and should be the priority. But I disagree that it’s an either/or thing. Would a forward haul over '17 and '18 of Cain (or Matthews), Young, Johns, and Easley really be too much or redundant? I mean, maybe you’d want more of a pure 3 instead of Easley, but this is what I mean about being too risk averse/caught up with the ideal scenario. Or are we worried that Jackson and Wilkes will commit and then, with Easley, we won’t have room for Johns and Young or Cain? Easley seems good enough, versatile enough, and likes Michigan enough, that you offer and don’t overthink the ideal scenario.

Of course, if the staff ranks Easley substantially lower that the sites/we do/other coaches do, that’s a different story.

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2017 Recruiting Notes

A few other contacts:

Given M’s recent success with sons of NBA stars, maybe they should look at Shareef O’Neal for 2018 too. His dad can definitely explain the fab five to him.

I’ve seen this kid play live a few times and I’m shocked to hear this. Kid is very good and if we miss on some big names in '17, he could be a great player to get in '18. Kind of has a funky looking shot but seems to be very consistent with it. Not a superior athlete but athletic enough to make an impact in the big ten.

I saw Johns live in March against a mediocre Okemos team. Played within the team concept for the most part. Nice looking three point stroke. Good handle. Looks the part of a stretch 4 physically once he adds some muscle. Lower body is solid, i.e. no skinny legs that you see on a lot 10th graders that tall. Might end up a 3 depending on developing more aggression. His offer was a good move. With two more years of high school, his game has room to grow.

1 Like

A new name on the radar who heard from U-M… Tyler Herro is playing well at NBPA Camp
http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3513

After a day of watching forwards pound the basketball and guys launch wild shot after wild shot, Herro was more assertive on Thursday and finally hit his stride down the stretch of the evening game where he scored 8 of his 10 points including a potential game winning trey ball inside of 10 seconds. Herro is a high caliber catch and shoot lead guard and the back end of day 2 saw why he’s generated a bunch of high major offers so far as he played with confidence and assertiveness and delivered a nice 10 point 2 assist 1 steal effort while getting his jumper going.

Kithier offered by MSU

Any Carmody updates from the weekend?

No offer for Carmody. Going to watch him in July.

I’ll have more on Robby in the next few days. Visit went well

2 Likes

Bazley offered by OSU today. Have no idea what we’re waiting on to show some interest. Frustrating

Do we know that Bazley is even interested in Michigan?

1 Like

Seriously- what difference does it make? This presumption that a prospect has to be interested in UM in order for the staff to show interest is mind boggling to me. That is the staffs job - to make him interested