2018 Recruiting Notes

Because he told me.

1 Like

Do we think Carmody is going to get an offer once JB sees him live? I REALLY hope so – he seems to like UM a lot and I’d hate to widen the opening for other schools by slow-playing him. He seems like a really versatile player who will be around for 4 years – the kind of guy who can really stabilize a program while he’s around.

Yeah, I’d expect him to get an offer early in July.

Trouble with the April period is that there are only 6 days of evaluation really and I’m pretty sure Beilein was at the EYBL for 95% of the time. July will leave more time for other events to track an adidas kid like Carmody.

95% is conservative lol. He was there damn near the ENTIRE time.

If I had to compare Robby to someone (Dylan hates this lol), Rex Chapman is the name that instantly comes to mind. I would love to have this kid on the roster.

If Carmody is HALF the player Chapman was sign me up immediately!

1 Like

I like Carmody a lot, too. A lot.

I wonder if the impending Davison visit and the fact that he has made it known that he will decide very promptly has any impact on a Carmody offer. I’m not trying to stereotype here–Carmody is certainly much, much more athletic than Davison, while Davison clearly has an ability to play PG that Carmody doesn’t possess–but at the end of the day, both are shooters whose primary position at Michigan is likely to be 2G. Given that we also have Poole in the fold, who is also a shooter first, my thought is that maybe they don’t want too many guys in that role leaving holes elsewhere, and are willing to give the '17 kid (who can also act as a back-up PG) a quick first shot before offering Carmody and Cormac Ryan (who, himself, is more like a taller, more skilled, but less physically tough Davison than like Carmody). Let me make clear–I have zero inside information, or even rumor on this–it’s just speculation as I try to put pieces together.

It’s interesting, right? On balance, I think we would prefer Carmody and Ryan, but both of those guys are 2018 recruits and if we don’t take a ball handler in 2017, it more or less leaves just Simpson, though I suppose Poole could handle the ball a bit.

I think Matthews can handle a bit as well

I think Carmody will get an offer even if Davison were to commit. Matthews primary position will be the 3 at Michigan. Davison can play the 1 at Michigan, especially with guys who can handle the ball at the 2 and 3 (like Walton with NIk and Caris). Then you have Watson '16 and Poole '17. Watson has the size to the play the 3 in college. I don’t think they would not offer Carmody in '18, a guy who seems like a great fit for UM in every possible way, and plan to skip a cycle for SGs/wings. With DJ’s fifth year not guaranteed, there’s still plenty of room for another center in '18 and then a couple big wing/PF types in '17 and '18.

1 Like

In looking at 2018, here is what you could have:

PG: Simpson, Davison/Ryan

SG: Poole, Carmody

SF: Mathews, Cain, Watson (can hopefully backup the 2/3)

PF: Young, Johns

C: Wagner, Teske, Wagner

That’s 12 deep, so I suppose you could take both Davison and Ryan.

Still, that’s a hypothetical roster that includes 8 kids from 2017/2018 - some of them won’t see the court for a little while, who knows how they’ll feel about that,

That also excludes Easley, who seems like he’s got a good shot at being part of the team.

Of course, that projection also assumes we’ll land many of our top targets, something that hasn’t happened for awhile. But I did try to keep it somewhat realistic as I also assume we land none of the five stars (Wilkes, Jackson, Bowen) we have offered.

1 Like

Sorry, meant Wagner, Teske and Davis at center.

Are you saying they could take Davison, Carmody, and Ryan? I was simply saying they could easily take Davison and Carmody (or Ryan, I suppose) – i.e., 2 of the 3.

I think they could, in theory, just not sure if those guys would all want to compete for the same minutes.

As I’ve said, I imagine the staff is a little leery of coming into 2017 with Simpson as the only guy with surefire point guard skills. So if they could get a commitment from Davison, I’ll bet they will take it.

But . . . I imagine they really like Ryan, too. He’s tall, a good ballhandler, seemingly a true point, and he can shoot from distance - the type of guy Beilein loves. At the same time, I love Carmody’s aggressiveness and his finishing ability at the rim, and he’s got a nice outside shot to boot - an offer seems like a no-brainer to me, and I think he could be really, really good.

So yeah, we might take all three. Would they all commit, given the competition at those positions? Hard to say. I suppose Ryan could, in theory, play some three. But then Watson might be the odd man out.

Gotcha, and yeah, that’s why I don’t think they will (or should) wait on Davison viz offering Carmody. Indeed, having a group of '16 (or functional equivalent) Simpson, Watson, Matthews, '17 Poole, Davison, and '18 Carmody, Ryan provides nice positional flexibility for the one through three spots – none of those guys other than Simpson is below 6’3" and at least a couple are 6’5"+. That doesn’t include Cain, who of course is also in the mix at 3, but it has been hinted at might not be as interested in us if Matthews is in the fold. (I could be wrong about that and don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth.) At some point guys may not want to compete for minutes, but you cross that bridge when you come to it.

I hear you. But I do think they want another 2017 primary ballhandler in the fold. So I’m guessing maybe they wouldn’t take a commitment from both Carmody and Ryan before having that in place.

We haven’t heard from MattD on how Mathews’ commitment may impact Cain. I’m curious. I feel like both guys are pretty similar to Robinson and Hardaway, who played together with no problem. But someone has to guard the four if they play together.

Just my opinion - you don’t wait on offering Ryan or Carmody because you think that if both commit it might scare off Davison. Just too many ifs there, and that’s kind of what I mean about overthinking things and worrying too many steps ahead. And having a bit of a numbers crunch could even secure a commitment. But you may be right that it’s their plan, and there’s also a difference between offering and then accepting a commitment if there are intervening events.