2017 Recruiting Notes

I don’t know why anyone is comparing Cain and Ibi as they are different players and will play different positions. I see Ibi as strictly a 2 and Cain as a 3 with possibility to play 4 in certain situations and most certainly Cain will be rated higher in his class. Both will have to get stronger but I see Cain with a higher ceiling. With that being said Ibi is here and hope to get Cain so I can root for both.

I’ve always maintained that I really like Kyle Young as a prospect, and still do. And if some think Young is the superior prospect that is fine as well. But to contend that Jamal is statistically similar to Ibi is simply inaccurate. Further, to say that Young’s stats are significantly better is a misrepresentation IMO. Young averages more ppg but also plays 6mins per game more. Young shoots 1 percent better from the field whereas Jamal is 8-9% better from 3. Young is no doubt a better rebounder but Jamal is the superior perimeter defender and shot blocker. I’d love to have either, and would be ecstatic to have both. Still like Tillman more than Young though

1 Like

There is a possibility that we don’t get any of those guys and all of this debate is for nothing, but carry on fellows. Have at it.

MattD I like all three. I don’t see Jackson or Wilkerson coming. I would take Cain and the first to commit out of Young and Tillman. If know takers by September Coach B should be looking at others. Hopefully that won’t be the case.

I agree that their stats are dissimilar. I also think, based on BOTH stats and film look that Cain has a higher ceiling than Watson. That said, I’d be careful of taking summer stats as being dispositive–if you only take those into effect, Matt Vogrich was the best shooter in the country. Also, different situations can lead to skewed results. For example, Jordan Poole has struggled in eybl this spring with Mac Irvin Fire, but has been phenomenal in tournaments in the tournaments he has played with other teams.

I like both Cain and Young a lot. I don’t understand the need to dispute which is better–both could play side by side for us.

1 Like

I don’t compare Cain and ibi as people or body type. I think their college production will be the same. If they both play for Michigan, they’ll be the same type of player. Shoot 3s, play defense. At this point, I like ibi handling the ball better but Cain can grow in that aspect. We all have our opinions but only time will tell.

If we don’t get any of those guys (or someone at least comparable), then we’re pretty much screwed. Personally I think a Cain/Poole/Tillman class would be awesome. I also appreciate the attention that has been paid to guys like Wilkes/Williams/Jackson and hope they keep it up.

John, You like Ibi better as a ball handler vs Cain?

Thats a strength of Cain’s at his size.

For his size yes, but overall isn’t a plus ball handler. Exact same as a 6’10 guy being a good shooter for his size. While shooting 33% from 3 as a 4 or 5 looks a whole lot better than that percent as a 1 or 2.

Well yea…But were not comparing Cain’s handling to a PG, comparing him to Watson. I don’t think its that close.

And for what he’ll be doing in UM’s offense, its a great fit.

Alright guys… This Jamal Cain vs. Kyle Young this has got to stop. They are two of the top 2 or 3 targets on Michigan’s board and they are both playing very well this spring. We get what side everyone is on, let’s move on.

2 Likes

I think Ibi is underrated if he plays like that last video. Although I think Cain looks a nice addition to. I like what I see plus his production. I also trust Matt since he’s watching full games. Now that he signed off on wright I know he’s got a good eye.

Mattd interview wright and plant the Michigan idea in his head. " say man your game really would match up as a stretch 4 on a team like Michigan who’d give you the freedom to fire from deep" hit him with some great school, beilein make you a lottery pick then walk off so he doesn’t see a connection. Adding him in the mix would be sick. He’s as good if not better then young or Tillman imo. I saw McGee dropped 13 mattd did he look d one quality? He’s score 12 or more last four games

It is a odd argument. Would anyone be mad if they both signed tomorrow? Plus it’s diferrnt positions. I think board would rejoice if both signed.

1 Like

Well in my defense I didn’t bring up any Cain v Young debate, my response was to JM about the Ibi v Cain contention.

Truth is we need both Cain AND Young. They are both good prospects that will be around for 2+ years and have attributes that we sorely lack on the current roster. Would love to have both, doesn’t have to be an either/or proposition.

2 Likes

Wright certainly doesn’t have the handle or rebounding ability in relation to Donnie, and Young is a better shooter. Wright is a legit 6’9 though and is very versatile. He scored in the post, off the bounce, and from distance. From a stylistic standpoint he’s a bit like Tobias Harris

Forgot to mention - Jamal hit the game winning layup with about 9secs left vs Team United to take the Family to 4-0 on the weekend. He’s having quite the weekend

Cain had 17pts on 7-17 from the floor and 1-7 from distance. Chipped in 2rebs and 2assists

I agree on both statements, but as a package he fits our four I think. Athletic, long, good defender, can hit the three, nice to the rim,good rebounder, I’ve seen him make solid post moves and turn arounds over defenders. I think he’s as good if not better overall. I know ESPN has him in the top sixty. I just think he fits our four spot well. I’d love to see interest. Might as well put him in the mix, don’t want to miss and have to take a plan d type guy.

I’m pissed, I lost track of times and threw on the city rocks game and it was already a blow out late.

5/29 games

Kyle Young - 20 pts, 7/15 fg, 4/4 ft, 2/4 3pt, 7 rebs, 1 assist, 4 TOs, 1 stl, 0 blk
19 pts, 5/12 fg, 6/9 ft, 3/5 3pt, 11 rebs, 3 assists, 1 TO, 3 stls, 2 blks

Jamal Cain - 17 pts, 5/10 fg, 5/8 ft, 2/3 3pt, 7 rebs, 1 assist, 0 TOs, 0 stls, 1 blk
16 pts, 7/17 fg, 1/1 ft, 1/7 3pt, 2 rebs, 2 assists, 0 TOs, 0 stls, 0 blks

He’d be a great fit at the 4 IMO. Really versatile at that size