2017 Recruiting Notes

Jamal finished with 16pts and 11rebs on 7-13 FG and 1-3 from distance. Family closed EYBL really strong with 5 straight victories but the slow start proved too much to overcome, as they failed to qualify for Peach Jam by 1 game and finish with a 7-9 record.

1 Like

I know most around here don’t think much of him, but Greg Elliott has been absolutely great on the EYBL circuit. His confidence/aggression level is MUCH higher than it was 2 months ago. Just witnessed him drop 28. Finished EYBL averaging 10.5 ppg and 2.5asst on 34.2% from distance. That is phenomenal for an unranked prospect in his first EYBL season

Do you know when the recruiting services usually start updating their rankings based on EYBL scouting? I’d be interested to see where they place Cain.

Probably after Peach Jam in July - Paul Biancardi of ESPN was here yesterday so hopefully he viewed Jamal

Many do two updates–one pre-July and one after all the July events are over.

1 Like

Definitely think MHoops is right - the sites will probably update/release 18 rankings sometime soon as well

Not UM related but so unbelievable I felt compelled to share - Zion Harmon (PG) is one of the best prospects I saw this weekend at EYBL. I was watching him play for We Can All Go thinking he has a great handle/change of direction, good shot, runs PnR very well. Now all of that is swell…until you check the roster and discover the kid is in 7th grade (class of 2021) and probably among the best prospects at EYBL regardless of age. My jaw dropped

1 Like

Almost every major site does a spring update and then another post July update.

2 Likes

I think - correct me if I’m wrong, the sites generally update the graduating class rankings (I.E. 2016) in late April/early May after the all star games (McD, Jordan Brand), whereas the next years class (2017) are probably June/July

1 Like

I think the usual updates are after the spring eval period, after July eval period, after HS season/All-Star games.

2 Likes

Highlight Reel of Kyle Young I put together from this weekend in EYBL Atlanta

I’d certainly keep him on the radar if our top targets fall through. Seems to me he’s a stronger recruit (by a long shot) than MAAR was, and MAAR has become a solid player for us.

LAW - are you referring to Gaines? If so, I would say MAAR was a much more impressive prospect in HS. Caveats apply because I never viewed MAAR live in HS, and have only seen Gaines live once, but Gaines had next to zero perimeter skill, and was not explosive by any means. His ball pursuit and strength were very good, but in no way is he a college guard or wing. He’s literally a 6’4 PF.

MattD thanks for the video. Mr. Young looks like a very good player. I just hope the Dukes, UK and Kansas don’t start calling him.

I’ve watched Kyle live about 5-6 times, and I don’t think he’s a UK/Duke level prospect. A very good recruit, no doubt, but athletically and skill wise he’s not the type to come in and contribute at a high level for a program of that caliber.

You should be more worried about Ohio State.

Is that how stats work?

No, Greg Elliott.

Not to be funny, but when it pertains to John Beilein they seemingly do. If we can isolate data to certain years for JB, should be applicable to recruits, no? Just saying

1 Like

It’s understandable to not be huge on Elliott, I’m just a bit confused that you think Austin Davis has potential but you see none in Elliott? That’s pretty absurd IMO